Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chanele511
New Member!
Female 

01-06-2012, 10:32 PM

10 Week Old GSD pup bites like crazy!

I adopted Dexter four weeks ago from some back yard breeders who were looking to get rid of him. They had already sold the parents, and his littermates, and were planning on keeping him for themselves, but for some reason decided that they no longer wanted him.
He is a great pup, and the only real problem I have had with him is his puppy nipping. I know that GSD pups are big time nippers, and I have gotten his biting to be much softer than it was when I first brought him home; however, he still does it.
When I first brought him home, I was told by the breeder that he was 8 weeks old, but when I brought him to the vet the next day, I was told that he was more like 6 weeks. Which made sense to me, because I thought he seemed pretty small for 8 weeks. So I do understand that his bit inhibition was very limited due to such little time with his mother and littermates.
The method that I've been using to try to get his biting under control was that at first, I simply yelped like a puppy would everytime he bit me. That helped to soften his bites. I recently read somewhere that it would help to issue a low growl when he bit the first time, and if he did it again, to growl and pinch (lightly) the nape of his neck. I was wondering if this method worked at all. I understand that it is similar to what the mother would to the pup, but I just want to make sure that if I were to try this method, it wouldn't result in Dexter becoming scared of me and developing into an agressive adult.

Also, any additional tips or advice on raising a GSD would be very helpful. I have already begun training him, and so far, he has learned the following cues: sit, stay (up to 1 minute), down, speak, shake, and come.

Thanks in advance!

~Chanele
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-06-2012, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't do the growl thing.

You have to become an actor now!!

In addition to the yelp (make it high pitched) storm off in a big huff making a big fuss, slamming the door behind you. Ignore for a few seconds before you return.

If it continues, increase the drama and the ignorance time.

This won't be an overnight success but will gradually decrease until it stops
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Unless you`re a lady dog I really wouldn`t try to act like one.
Yes I know a certain Mexican advises stuff like that but he`s forever getting bitten so hey....
Get a good puppy book (don`t know US ones so have linked to UK one) and follow that advice.
Different methods work at different ages with different dogs.
One method is the Ignoring one. Another is the Scream. And one I`ve found useful is the Swap. You replace your hand with a toy and then have a little game. That is the reward. The dog finds out that playing is more fun than nipping.

http://www.lynfleet.com/the_fast_tra...vival_kit.html
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I would not growl and would definitely not pinch your pup's neck.

Keep yelping and also totally turn your back and ignore your pup every single time he nips you. If necessary, physically leave the room and wait two minutes or so before returning. Eventually your pup will connect his behaviour with your response.

However - you need to ensure that everyone does this, and that your friends and family don't deviate from this and therefore accidentally 'reward' the nipping.

If it's any consolation, there is a gorgeous GSD pup at our local park; she nipped me so hard she ripped two holes in my shirt and left scratches along my arms
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
I did the replacing my hand with something else thing with needle toothed min pin pup, Bella. And said 'nobiting' fast and in a low voice at the same time. Works if you just say 'nobiting' now. My son is due in tonight - will have to tell him all over again NOT to let the dog chew on his hands! He thinks I am NO FUN at all!

My 'ignore' is me standing up, folding arms and gazing at a spot on the ceiling far away from the dawg. They really don't like being ignored. She instantly goes into the 'my life is not worth living' slump.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
I have never found yelping works . The only things I have that work are swaping the hand being chewed for a soft toy or just getting up and walking away and ignoring the pup ie end of cuddles play or whatever else you were doing at the time .
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I do what the adult dog does when a puppy nips-nothing-I don't yelp, I don't walk away I simply ignore & I've had GSDs since 1958 until a couple of years back & have never had any problem with puppies going on nipping after a wekk or less.

By not reacting the puppy gets no reward from nipping & doesn't get wound up by me making any noise. If I have an older puppy that mouths me then I ignore & get up & walk away everytime the mouthing starts.

I also do a lot of T Touch massage on my puppies & adults & this releases the body's own endorphins which put the dog into a calm quiet state-loads of info on the internet about T Touch which was developed by Linda Tellington-Jones in the US
Chanele511
New Member!
Female 

02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great replies! I didn't really feel like the growl thing would be best, so I'm glad I found out before trying it. I definitely need to get the ignoring part down...Dex is just so irresistable with those big brown eyes and teddy bear face, lol. I have found that the swapping for a toy works great in the moment, but I guess I haven't been doing it long enough to see any long term results.

I do have one other question though, Dexter loves to play tug, so I do play it with him, but I never let him win, and have actually been able to teach him to drop the toy when I say so (he knows that I will do a little chase with the toy when he listens), and I always end the game with having him drop the toy, then giving it back to him to take and play with on his own. Is this alright? I have read in some places that it isn't good to play tug with a pup who still nibbles at you, but others say it's good to play with some ground rules...any suggestions? Thanks!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Chanele511 View Post
Dexter loves to play tug, so I do play it with him, but I never let him win,
My dogs (GSDs etc) play tuggy with me and each other and the winner is the one who doesn`t get bored... usually them.
It isn`t about winning, it`s about playing. Dogs don`t keep score, they learn by what happens. If you let go, you`ve ended the game (bad thing, not good thing). So they generally come and offer it to me or run round to try to get me to chase them and play again.
Try passing a toy back and forth with your dog when you`re sitting down relaxing. they love that, and it`s a good way to introduce Give.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Agree with ClaireandDaisy, it's about play and building a good relationship, so don't worry. I have often let my dogs win, (because I think it's a bit boring for them if, every time, I win - over a period of years ) and it's fine.

I think the main thing for me is manners - by that, I mean that if you train your dog well (using reward methods to make it all fun) you can then do pretty much anything - your dog will Drop, Sit, Give, Leave, Come, Wait, Settle etc and maybe even Emergency Recall and then you've got a fab companion and friend. Training is so important and the easiest dogs to live with are dogs who, I believe, had had lots of ongoing training

Wys
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >