View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:24 AM
We've been having this issue with Stanley who is 5 and half months. He only mouths at people when he wants to play and will pull at clothes too. We are telling him no and immediately stopping any play and if he doesn't stop we put him in the conservatory to calm down for a few minutes which is working. We're just sorting training classes out which start at the end of the month. He is only playing and never does it so hard it hurts. Think it just calm, firm consistancy. Hope so because thats what we're doing lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Springernut View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this Puppy stuff. we have had a our English Springer Spaniel for 3 weeks now, and he is adorable and we have fallen head over heals in love with him, the only problem is he nips alot at my daughter, he gets over excited and then dives at her, she tries to be brave but ends up getting very upset because she thinks he does not like her. Please can someone help, we say NO in aloud voice but this does not seem to work, if anything he comes back for more. I would appreciate any help, advice and someone please tell me this will stop.
Hi Springernut may I add a little to the good advice already given..
The behaviour you describe is normal behaviour in puppies, your puppy is 'play biting' attempting to play with your daughter just as it would with its siblings. Watch any litter of puppies playing, they bite each other in turn/yelp/run away, this is 'play biting' and they soon learn how much they can bite each other without inflicting pain and bringing play to an end.

When we take on a puppy we need to continue the learning process which was interrupted when the puppy left its litter mates . We need to curb and channel the play biting in the right direction ideally before the age of 4 month. The puppy should be encouraged to bite ever more gently until no pressure is exerted at all , this is called 'bite inhibition'.

Teaching bite inhibition ensures that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should he bite for any reason (say he is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt) he will have learnt never to sink his teeth into human skin.

Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy, however teaching it takes time and patience and success won't be achieved in just a few days . Also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..click here

In addition to this you would be wise to teach your daughter and any visiting children how to behave correctly around puppies. This article about 'Dogs and Children' written by one of our members may be of help to you...
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=10261
Springernut
New Member!
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
wow. this is all fantastic advice. I really really appreciate it. we do have a crate and George (our pup) does go in for calm down time and he sleeps in it in the evenings, I will try all this. What food do you recommend for him. I am looking into puppy classes. they have to be of an evening as I am at work.
I think that I will invest in a fleece for all to wear when playing with him is in process. When we have left the room when he has been naughty he looks very sheepish when we come back. we will ignore him when he gets over excited and nips. I will have a look at the links that you have sent.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Springernut View Post
wow. this is all fantastic advice. I really really appreciate it. we do have a crate and George (our pup) does go in for calm down time and he sleeps in it in the evenings, I will try all this. What food do you recommend for him. I am looking into puppy classes. they have to be of an evening as I am at work.
I think that I will invest in a fleece for all to wear when playing with him is in process. When we have left the room when he has been naughty he looks very sheepish when we come back. we will ignore him when he gets over excited and nips. I will have a look at the links that you have sent.
Hi can I just say a crate should never be used as a form of punishment, if used at all it should be a 'safe haven' .

Your puppy only looks sheepish because your body language and speech indicate to him your displeasure. He won't have a clue what he has done wrong unless this is made clear at the time . Walking away/ leaving the room is a good good way of giving the puppy time to calm down but it won't teach him bite inhibition.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi can I just say a crate should never be used as a form of punishment, if used at all it should be a 'safe haven' .

Your puppy only looks sheepish because your body language and speech indicate to him your displeasure. He won't have a clue what he has done wrong unless this is made clear at the time . Walking away/ leaving the room is a good good way of giving the puppy time to calm down but it won't teach him bite inhibition.
Just to say when we use the crate it isn't a puishment she goes with the kong just to do something different and chill. Another thought will your daughter be going to training too? My daughter did and she was 8 when we did puppy classes. Here is a pic of them graduating. She loved being involved. Sorry the quality is a bit rubbish it was on my phone!

claireheather
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi,

I'm not alone then!! I have a 9 week basset hound (elvis) doing excactly the same to my 5 year old daughter and three year old son.
the nipping is never hard, and compared to my other dogs I've had he's a very placid puppy, but my daughter is getting frigtened of him and also thinks he's not her friend!
I'll take this advise, so thanks.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Nothing else to add as some excellent advice here, but will just say remember he's a gundog and he naturally will like holding things in his mouth. It's important to teach him that when excited he picks up a toy instead of nipping. Everytime he goes to bite pass him one of his toys and praise him when he plays with it so he knows THAT is what he should be doing instead.

Also, any pictures please?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2