Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 08:48 PM

walking dogs

do u think there shud be an age where people are allowed to walk dogs?
like, down the road from me there is a rottweiler and sometimes i see these 2 no older than 12yr olds walking him with absolutely no control over such a powerful dog.
Anyway, do u think there shud be an age or size limit to who can walk big or strong dogs?

jus the other week an elderly couple got brought down by their golden retriever. I jus think that if u cant handle a strong dog u shouldnt have one. wot if the dog attacked someone and u cudnt pull it off?

i mean, i wud say put an age limit, but i was walkin dogs when i was 10, but they were small dogs: king charles spaniel and bichon.

altho last week i saw 2 13 yr olds walking a little terrier and it pulled them across the road???
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 08:50 PM
i wouldnt let my kids walk max ever! to be fair i dont really trust my husband! i suppose it depends on the dog and the kids really?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I dont usually let my kids walk Star but while I was in plaster my 14year old had to take Star a quick walk once a day. He was really responsible but I would not like to put him in that position all the time.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi It scares me seeing children of that age out with a dog that can't control/hold There is a lad by me who walks a Old style bulldog you know big dog size of a boxer but more so God knows why they let him walk it he can't hold him the dog is heavier than the boy.

Karen
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 08:54 PM
i dont trust anyone to walk indie either but i certainly wouldnt let anyone under 18 walk her depends on their size and strength tho i spose or dog handling skills?? some kids in the area have a staffie, they must be about 14/15 but cant control it if it wants to go somewhere.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm not in favour of children walking dogs but the not being able to control a dog if it wanted to go somewhere could also apply to many adults who haven't the strength to stop their dog.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Julie
I'm not in favour of children walking dogs but the not being able to control a dog if it wanted to go somewhere could also apply to many adults who haven't the strength to stop their dog.
I agree Julie - I don't think there is a difference between an inexperienced adult and a child when it comes to the larger, heavier breeds

I really think it depends on the child, the dog and the area that the walk is taking place.......but then I am still wondering how I will EVER let my daughter (curently 4 yrs old) out on her own in the future.....dog or no dog
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 09:34 PM
my children are never allowed to walk any of our dogs on their own
they hold the leads if we are all walking together but only on the border collies or amber,i would never let them hold harley as he is far too strong for them
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I dont think that any child under the age of 16 should be able to walk any size dog on their own
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 09:39 PM
My nieces 12 and almost 11 walk the girls with me sometimes but they are not allowed to hold Tess's lead as she can get excited but Sal they can hold her lead as she is good and sensible and she follows me everywhere unlike the girls who have a habit of trying to wander off - which they find impossible when 40ln of stafford muscle knows she should be with me
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >