View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

21-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Dog Games

Does any-one have any ideas for great games to play with dogs? Hide and seek are my dogs favourite game at the moment - but want to introduce other games - can't think of any.

I am going to invest in agility equipment in the summer - just trying to think of some thing in the mean time to occupy them - so they don't get bored.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 07:43 PM
i dont know but hope i can get some good ideas from the replies
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 07:46 PM
If hide & seek is with you hiding, you could try the doggie 'hunt the thimble' by hiding a ball, toy, kong with bickie etc.

Have you tried bubbles? They're fun to chase as long as they don't catch and eat too many!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 07:57 PM
yeh bubbles are fun

ive also taught indie to find things.. like to find my phone when its ringing or find the car keys not much of a game i know, but mentally stimulating for the dog trying to learn it
i also like hide and seek

hmm... cant think of games :smt017

football with a ball they cant pick up,lol. we have an indestructaball

fetch?
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Games like jenny was saying are a brilliant idea, teaching the dog to do things, fetch the phone, bring in the paper, whatever, its a fun game for the dog and keeps them busy
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi Emm,

Are you already doing agility? If not you can make some temporary equipment very cheaply and start teaching your dog contacts, over low jumps, weave poles, etc.

Another good 'game' is scent discrimination.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

22-03-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm not doing agility at the moment I 'll give it a try making some temporary equipment - I only want to do agility for fun not competition - the problem where I am is that they only allow the best dogs in to the club because it is for competition only.

Shadowboxer - how do I teach scent discrimination?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi Emm, I am sure there are other ways of teaching it, but this is how I do it.

The idea with secent discrimination is that your dog will find an article that has your scent on it from among other, unscented, articles. You need to make a scent board. Get a piece of peg-board and four lenths of dowel (about 4" long). Get someone to wire three of the pieces of dowel on to the board. (If you have to wire them on yourself then leave the board outside for at least 24 hours so that your scent disappears from the wired articles).

When you are ready to start scent the other piece of dowel by having it in your hand or next to your skin somewhere (use your imagination ) for 10 minutes. Show the articles to your dog. Let him sniff it and hold it in his mouth. Place the scented article on the board. Tell your dog to 'find'. He won't be able to pick up the wrong article as the others are wired down. As soon as he picks up, or noses, 'your' article praise him and encourage him to bring it back to you.

Practise with the wired articles for several days. When he is consistently getting it correct then remove the wires and see if he will still select the correct article. If he doesn't, don't reprimand him for getting it wrong, go back to wiring so that he cannot make a mistake.

Once he is solid with the board then move the articles on to a different surface, e.g. a towel, the grass, carpet, etc. Remember, NEVER touch the articles that you do not want him to retrieve. Use tongs to set them out. When he is getting the dowels correct then you can move to different types of articles, gloves, pieces of leather, metal articles, etc. It doesn't matter if someone else touches the articles so, for a 'party trick', you can ask people to place bank notes on the floor along with one that you have scented and send your dog to find yours, or he can pick out your hat/shoe/glove/hankie from among a pile of others.

Dogs usually enjoy this game as they get lots of praise and rewards for doing what comes naturally - using their noses. If he picks up the wrong thing at any time do not tell him off - the lack of praise & reward is sufficient to let him know he has made an error.

Let me know if anything is unclear - and let me know how you get on.
Have fun
SB
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

23-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks Shadowboxer - I can't wait to give it a go - I'll let you know how we get on
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2005, 08:16 AM
That is great Shadowboxer, I will also give those a try, Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >