Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Puppy gone wild

FLorrie (WHWT x DDT) is 6 and a half months old and recently she has started chewing and biting and basically gone wild, so much.
But the biting is really starting to hurt and now it isnt just play biting it is really agressive snapping and growling etc, for instance this morning i was looking thru this big chest thing on the floor looking for a crochet hook to men something, (yes see even boys should no how to do these things) and as i wouldn't give her any attention she ended up biting just above my eye really hard and drawing blood, and it really bloody hurt.
She is getting really bad she doesn't listen any more when you call her, when she is out on walkies she pulls like a steam tain, but not to get to other dogs jsut to be infront of everyone, becuase Polly our JRT is off the lead most of the way Florrie tries toget ahead of her.
She steals food, chews everything, destroys all she can get her paws on, she is snapping, and she has reverted back to going toilet anywhere and everywhere.
Any ideas on why she is doing this?
Any ideas on how to stop it?
Help, as we really are at our wits end
Best wishes
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Oh dear, do you know anything of her background, were the parents pure breeds. This is the sort of behaviour that I would expect of perhaps the offspring of a working terrier but the cross you say it seems unlikely. Has she had her season yet? What sort of training and or work do you do with her? Is she alone for very long?

Sorry lots of questions and I may not be able to help, it could be a season on the way or it could be you just need to go back to step one of the training, give more challenging exercise and assert more control. It may be as well to do that any way, start taking her out every hour and ask her the relieve herself. Try to set up exercises they will make her think like hiding food or toys round the garden and make her find it or even feed by throwing the food into the garden so she has to look for it. Will leave it there for you to answer and for other to say what they think. Oh don't allow her to bite, remove your hands, feet and if necessary remove yourself from her or her from you. The more you let her behave in this way the further she will push her luck.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 04:15 PM
aww luke it seems as if your having real problems with florrie at the moment,has there been any changes in the home as this can affect dogs in many ways.
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 04:17 PM
tysons acting a little the same we put it down to topaz being here . sorting out his place and hers in the pack ,, he gets timed out in the kitchen with no treats or toys ,, 10 mins later out comes tyson all sweet n cuddly again .. i think you may have to reassert her place in the pack !
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Oh dear, do you know anything of her background, were the parents pure breeds. This is the sort of behaviour that I would expect of perhaps the offspring of a working terrier but the cross you say it seems unlikely. Has she had her season yet? What sort of training and or work do you do with her? Is she alone for very long?

Sorry lots of questions and I may not be able to help, it could be a season on the way or it could be you just need to go back to step one of the training, give more challenging exercise and assert more control. It may be as well to do that any way, start taking her out every hour and ask her the relieve herself. Try to set up exercises they will make her think like hiding food or toys round the garden and make find or even feed by throwing the food into the garden so she has to look for it. Will leave it there for you to answer and for other to say what they think. Oh don't allow her to bite, remove your hands, feet and if necessary remove yourself from her or her from you. The more you let her behave in this way the further she will push her luck.

Ok answers first
1. yes her father was a pure WHWT and her mother a pure DDT, she was reared in the best possible way, in the house with kkids, other dogs, cats, horses, birds etc. And has never shown any signs of behaviour like this before.
2. No she hasn't had her first season yet, but i think it may be soon as she is acting fairly dominant over the other pets, is swollen down below and is going thru a humping stage
3. Sometimes she is used for working vermin but not that often, she is basic obedience, tried to do agility and HTM but she lost interst very quickly.
4. Not alone that much as thru ill health i am house bound and whne Mother of Lu-1 goes out i usually stay at home, when we do go out the dogs come with us, so no hardly.

Will have to try some of the things you said as she seems to be bored, but then she also seems to be a little agressive, so not too sure. it has come on very quickly over the past week or so i'd say
Best wishes
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
aww luke it seems as if your having real problems with florrie at the moment,has there been any changes in the home as this can affect dogs in many ways.
Well a few but not that major it seems that she is jsut trying to act the boss.

Diane ,
this sounds a lot like what Florrie does
Best wishes
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Think it may well be hormonal then, but don't let her get away with it or she may not improve after her season. It is normal for some bitches in multi dog households to be dominant, particulaly in the house, but she should not be trying to dominate you or any human. May be it is your ill health that is causing a bit of dominance to surface, don't think I can help much more except to hope it will improve after the season.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Have you started training bite inhibition and the other things suggested in this thread? : http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/vis...rse_15310.html

You should see a difference in her behaviour if you also start the Nothing in Life is Free Program.

It seems that these behaviour problems have not suddenly arisen but have been present for some time. Hormonal disturbance may be compounding the problem, but that is no excuse for aggressive behaviour towards you or anyone else. You need to get on top of this as quickly as possible as, if she is allowed to get away with it, she will get worse.

Here is a link to NILIF: http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm This site also has an article on Social Isolation which you might consider implementing to good effect.

Here is a link on teaching Bite Inhibition: http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm