Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 09:39 PM

Half Check Chains

Could someone enlighten me on how these work, and if they are suitable to help control a large GSD?

OH has concerns that I will be unable to control Fern on a walk if Fern decides he wants to dash off regardless of how much training he would have received.

Could someone advise on what is a good collar / harness etc that would be suitable for a large breed.

Desperately need your advice on this.

Thanks
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 09:44 PM
could use the same advice myself tyson has started pulling like crazy at anyone who walks past . trying to say hello to everyone . he pulls even more if they dont stop to say hello .. try telling an overly friendly rottie people dont wanna pet him as hes not a cute little fluff ball anymore .. i just been looking in to canny collars for him . they seem like a resonable idea .
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I use a Rogz collar on Star which is like a half check but is fabric without the chain. I think the noise of the chain is supposed to "check" the dog and remind it where it should be walking. SB would be better explaining how it works

The dogmatic headcollar is good It is like the halti but made of leather.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 09:49 PM
hi

Have used a half check and canny on Bruno - The canny is definetly better - the half check Bruno still insists on pulling against and just hurts his neck whereas the canny he controls how much he pushes against and thus how tight it gets - he walks much better on that and it doesnt have the mouth restriction of a halti.
If you dont know what it looks like on - i posted piccies in a thread entitles canny collar i think

Dani
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone - really appreciate it, you have no idea how much!

And everyone else who reads please please please state your preference, the more backing and information on these different types of collars/harnesses and leashes the better.

Carole I haven't heard of Rogz or Dogmatic so will look them up.

And thanks Brundog and Deefin regarding the Canny - will definitely investigate.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I have half-check on teagan, but it doesn't stop her pulling to be honest!
I also have a 3" wide(approx) leather collar that I use at the same time for extra control (I use both collars with a double ended lead), but am saving up for something that will help with her pulling.
We have been to training classes, and they haven't helped! She's as good as gold in them. heals perfectly, but outside the class, she won't even listen to the word 'heal'. She hasn't done since we started classes, and never has! lol

I think I need something that can 'control' her better, as she is big and heavy
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 10:01 PM
canny collar was voted best on recent your dog magazine if that helps
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks Deefin really good to know.

x mc
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

26-07-2005, 10:38 PM
when I got Bouncer he was terrible on lead and I tried all the products on the market and they really didn't help - I ended up changing the way I walked him - if he pulled I would stop and refuse to move - he soon learned that to move forward the lead had to be slack - it took awhile but he was an old dog - if you do it with a puppy then I'm sure they would learn faster
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2005, 10:42 PM
the half check works the same as the chain but not so uncomfortable to dog
like carol says its all in the check of the chain..ie the sound it makes
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >