Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2005, 08:25 PM

Dislikes non dog people!

Wondered if anyone has any ideas about what I can do with Harvey (other than keeping him on the lead). Harvey has developed a dislike for anyone walking or particularly jogging wihtout a doggy companion. To be honest he has always barked whilst wagging tail at anyone without a dog, which when he was a small pup was quite comical, but now he is a year old and I feel that there is a slight aggression element, which obvioulsy is not acceptable. People with dogs he completely ignores but seems to make a bee-line for anyone without. Have been advised to see an animal behavourist, just wondered if anyone else has come across this problem.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2005, 11:44 PM
With the help of an experienced trainer or behaviour consultant Harvey can be desensitized. The program will probably take a lot of time and patience before he is 'cured' of this behaviour. In the meantime you must keep him on lead.

Even with experience of the problem it is not wise to offer advice on dog-human aggression over the internet. The dog, and its reactions, need to be observed in order to determine probable cause and the most effective training program.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by marean
Wondered if anyone has any ideas about what I can do with Harvey (other than keeping him on the lead). Harvey has developed a dislike for anyone walking or particularly jogging wihtout a doggy companion. To be honest he has always barked whilst wagging tail at anyone without a dog, which when he was a small pup was quite comical, but now he is a year old and I feel that there is a slight aggression element, which obvioulsy is not acceptable. People with dogs he completely ignores but seems to make a bee-line for anyone without. Have been advised to see an animal behavourist, just wondered if anyone else has come across this problem.

Our German Shepherd used to be just the same he would be fine with people with a dog but was very suspicious of anybody walking in the fields without a dog and when he was young he used to nip peoples bums if they hadn't got a dog with them and they were walking down the field
As he got older he did get out of this habit fortunately (although I could never fully trust him with people he didn't know and who were without a dog) I only let him off the lead when no-one was about and put him on again if somebody was coming down the field who I/he didn't know. He seemed to know when people were a bit scared of him.

Our Bichon also is suspicious of anyone walking without a dog although he wouldn't dream of biting anyone. There was a young lad walking in the field where we walk and Benji ran up to him and then kept turning round looking in all directions and then back up at the lad again and the lad looked quite puzzled by him until I explained that he was looking to see where his dog was