Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2005, 03:34 PM

tail chasing still

Thanks for all your replies on buster chasing his tale, he is always getting new toys, bones, and has cass (9mth old stb) to play with too, so it shouldnt be bordem. I thoght it might be a phase but it dosent seem to be passing, i have read the articles on the subject and have decided to totaly ignore him when he does it to see if its attention related i am also going to keep a log of when, how long ect he does it, just incase i have to take to the vets, as i have noticed his tale is getting worse about 6inches of it has the fur missing and its starting to go red.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Have you wormed him recently, also make sure his diet is right for him some dog food send them hyperactive & send them round the bend (sorry for the pun).
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Could be the anal glands, have you checked?

It can be a habit so once you have checked there is nothing wrong to cause this try this, arm yourself with a spray bottle filled with water of a water gun and some treats, squirt at him in the face when he is mid pirouette and if he stops click or if you don't click say good boy and give a treat. Repeat until you have stopped the habit or you decide that it is not going to work. If it is going to work it should only take a couple of days.
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2005, 04:17 PM
thanks guys will check his food he is on pro-plan adult not sure what to check for tho, will try the spray gun too.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Don't think it would be the food but do check the anal glands and if you don't know how ask the vet to do it for you, impacted or over full anal glands can be very painful or distressing to the dog so please do check that first before assuming it is a habit.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Hi Cassey, if you have ruled out worms or anal glands and the condition continues you may want to talk to your vet about it .I have read that tail chasing can be genetic and can also be an obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) this applies particularly to English bull terriers therefore it is not a habit but something the dog can not help doing. There is medication that can can be given. There has also been some research into the connection with serotonin levels.... another avenue of research if the behaviour continues.