Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi

I'm just off to do shopping, but will get back to you.

Does he do this when you take him for a walk on his own, without the bitch or your OH? Does he behave like this with other dogs, or is it just with people?
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 09:43 PM
hi SB thank you for getting back to me yes when he is on his own with me or i have my other dog with me he does it.If me and oh have both of them out i normaly take girl and he has boy it doesnt happen then. He does it with both dogs and people even if they are taking no notice of him
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Hi

When you are out with him you need to be aware of both his body language and your own. What usually happens is that as soon as the handler is aware of the dog tensing up then he/she also tenses. The lead is tightened, the handler leans towards or bends over the dog, and the dog is verbally chastised. What the dog interprets from this is that you are also worried about the approaching person/dog. Your tenseness travels down the tight lead. Your voice may be panicky or it may sound like a back-up growl. Your posture may signal that you too are ready to 'have a go'.

Difficult as it is, you need to relax. Keep the lead loose, stand up straight, and distract the dog with a happy, excited voice. This will signal to the dog that you are in control and unworried, therefore no reason for him to worry either. I am not a fan of head-halters as they can do damage especially if the dog suddenly lunges, but using one may help you to feel more in control and if your dog senses that you are confident that should help him.

If, as you say, this behaviour has only just started then something must have happened to trigger it. Can you think what it might have been? Anything at all, no matter how insignificant it might have appeared at the time. An unpleasant experience with a dog or person? Bitch in season? Household disruptions? Visit to the vet? An injury or illness? Used for stud?

Whatever the cause, and it could help to know, your dog needs to go through a desensitization program. Without seeing the dog I would guess that he is going into fear-based defense drive. The following article may help you: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=8050 If you decide to follow this program it will take some time as he needs to be desensitized to both people and dogs.

These articles are worth reading: http://www.flyingdogpress.com/onldagg.html and http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...aggression.htm

As he is tending to show aggression towards people I really do think that your best course of action would be to engage the services of an experienced, professional, behaviour consultant who can directly observe the dog. Advice over the net can only help so far.

PS. Jenny may be quite right in her thoughts about the restrictions of the lead but, unless you are 110% sure that he would not threaten a stranger when off-lead, then I would not take the risk.

Sorry this is rather brief - flying low and fast today
Do get back with any questions, and let us know how things are going.
Best wishes
SB
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2005, 09:26 AM
hi SB thanks for that when i see another dog or person approaching i keep my voice low and just talk to him saying silly things really but just so he hears my voice there has been one thing when we were out a cople of months back he was on his lead and a GSD came flying over the field at him and was aggressive towards him. this dog was off lead and no owner in sight eventually owner came very apologetic saying he had only had him a bout a week and put him on lead 5 mins later the dog came back again and started on chunky i think this is where it stems from . i think your right in saying he will then pick it up through the lead from me. when i take him out today i will try to be very relaxed he wears a harness at the monent i feel happy with that but i wont let him off i will just put his lunge lead on thanks for your help i will take your advice to heart and try and chill
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by doggy mad
hi SB thanks for that when i see another dog or person approaching i keep my voice low and just talk to him saying silly things really but just so he hears my voice there has been one thing when we were out a cople of months back he was on his lead and a GSD came flying over the field at him and was aggressive towards him. this dog was off lead and no owner in sight eventually owner came very apologetic saying he had only had him a bout a week and put him on lead 5 mins later the dog came back again and started on chunky i think this is where it stems from . i think your right in saying he will then pick it up through the lead from me. when i take him out today i will try to be very relaxed he wears a harness at the monent i feel happy with that but i wont let him off i will just put his lunge lead on thanks for your help i will take your advice to heart and try and chill
Yes, it would seem that the encounter with the GSD was the trigger. He now has the attitude of "I'll do it to you before you get a chance to do it to me". Does he threaten people without dogs, or only those accompanied by dogs? I had assumed the former. But if it is only people with dogs then a gradual desensitizing should work. I suppose you don't know anyone with a large, calm, bomb-proof dog which would just ignore his posturing?
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2005, 12:30 PM
he sometimes does it with people with out dogs but again i think hes getting it through me ie if im walking through wood and i see a lone man without a dog i probably tense up thinking why is he here wandering about woods alone silly i know but you cant be to carefull i do know a staffy that nothing bothers she is really laid back and she doesnt have a problem with any dog ...... when i had him out today i started saying nursery rhymes when some one came near he wasnt perfect but i think he was more interested in me talking all the time mind you people did give me a funny look as they passed lol
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Don't worry about the strange looks You did the right thing in keeping his attention focused on you. If you can find a special toy that he really loves you could take that with you. Use it as a distraction when people pass & then let him have a little game with it. If he is more food motivated use special treats. He should gradually get the idea that, when he sees a stranger, if he pays no attention but looks at you instead he will be rewarded, so people will be seen as good things.

Do be careful walking in isolated areas. I too would tense up if I met a lone stranger in the woods I would be inclined to keep a small can of some sort of spray in my pocket.
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2005, 04:05 PM
thanks again SB i will try all you have suggested and see what happens
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2005, 01:29 AM
just read this with so much interest
it's so true what sb is saying
i tried everything to get lubo's interest to no avail
with lubo food treats just were'nt enough
and if the interest aint there you have nothing
enter the squeeky toy
he's like a different dog
i always knew he was intelligent
and he has prove me right
i am such a proud happy mam
ps.. i now go out with a bag of toys
it's worht it thou
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

29-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Whatever it takes to get the result - even if you do feel like Father Christmas with a sack of toys

Good work
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >