Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You are free to hope Azz. I think its utter waste. Medical research would be and is far more beneficial. A cure for cancer, treatment for many other illnesses and diseases etc.. not how "smart" is a chimp! Id rather approve of and support that thanks. You are free to approve of and support whatever you choose too.
That's fine Dawn, but you said the research shown was them 'performing tricks for our amusement' - and that's what I took issue with, because that's not the case.

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
That's fine Dawn, but you said the research shown was them 'performing tricks for our amusement' - and that's what I took issue with, because that's not the case.

Well they were performing tricks and it wasnt for their benefit, but listen Azz, we differ, we can agree to disagree. Differences make the world go round.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 05:50 PM
I work in the medical research field, working to find a cure for cancer was one of the main things I used to do, so I think it would be fair for me to say I would have an "informed" opinion of this type of research.

Dawn - research very often has far flung applications, nothing like what was originally thought of in the inital stages of the research. Who would have ever thought that NASA researching coatings on spaceships would give us Teflon coating on frying pans??

Looking at how animals learn in a research based environment has already given us clues into the genetic and environmental basis of various neurological disorders, sociopathic disorders, stress mechanisms, broad spectrum autism etc, so yes they are, in the long run, very much linked to the medical research field
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Well they were performing tricks and it wasnt for their benefit, but listen Azz, we differ, we can agree to disagree. Differences make the world go round.
Of course - differing opinions are always interesting but again to stress my point, I took issue with you suggesting that it wasn't scientific research but some sort of exercise for our amusement.

Wonder what a scientist (or someone involved in such research) would have to say about that - Oo look one just posted:

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I work in the medical research field, working to find a cure for cancer was one of the main things I used to do, so I think it would be fair for me to say I would have an "informed" opinion of this type of research.

Dawn - research very often has far flung applications, nothing like what was originally thought of in the inital stages of the research. Who would have ever thought that NASA researching coatings on spaceships would give us Teflon coating on frying pans??

Looking at how animals learn in a research based environment has already given us clues into the genetic and environmental basis of various neurological disorders, sociopathic disorders, stress mechanisms, broad spectrum autism etc, so yes they are, in the long run, very much linked to the medical research field
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

How many Dolphins, screen tapping Chimps and Octopus's were used for that?

Excuse sarcasm.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:36 PM
While I could understand (but not agree with) your issue with chimp and dolphins - whats the issue with the Octopus? They are not being trained to do that, that is natural behaviour for them
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:40 PM
How many Dolphins, screen tapping Chimps and Octopus's were used for that?

Excuse sarcasm.
Oh behave i was illustrating my initial point with an amusing example, the paragraph below it is talking about behavhioural/learning studies in chimps/dolphins/octupi/rats/fruit flies/anything with a nervous system
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It suits many people to think that animals are emotionless and unitelligent. That way it is OK to use them and abuse them. Programmes like this shake the foundations of their beliefs

rune----I rose
I haven't seen the programme but I was thinking something similar.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It suits many people to think that animals are emotionless and unitelligent. That way it is OK to use them and abuse them. Programmes like this shake the foundations of their beliefs

rune----I rose
Most definitely! This belief leads humans to think that they are superior to animals, so do to them as we wish.
In actual fact, I believe we have a lot to learn from animals, like the art to 'just be.'
Despite all the cruelty done to animals (by the human race as a whole, I know there are special people out there dedicating their lives to saving animals) I still believe that we humans have got the short straw we are ruled by 'ego' this is what separates us. We don't know how to 'just be' the way animals do, we are constantly searching for more. Animals don't care about what's in space, they don't worry about money or relationships, they haven't chopped down forests to fuel their greed.
If we could put our egos aside and live in harmony with the planet the way animals do, then maybe we wouldn't need to use animals for research to cure illness. If we didn't smoke, drink or eat junk food, if we hadn't filled the air with pollutants or stress about finance etc. then maybe we wouldn't have so many health issues. What gives us the right to make an animal suffer in order to benefit us? Who made us so special that we come before them.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Good for the animals. No longer are they communicating to us and not being understood... While we get our findings from the observations of animals who are detached and stressed as they have no mutual language...with us. if we are learning from their learning and they are learning not only conditioned responses but as the programme showed, wants etc then that can be built on to improve their welfare. It's like being able to speak to someone you depend upon in the same language you understand, especially social species.
I would imagine the animals would prefer we leave them well alone to live their lives as they please to be honest. I am not saying any animal research is bad, I'm saying perhaps we should step away from saying "wow, how amazing is that, we've learnt x, y, z" to "wow, how amazing is that, we've learnt x, y, z but lets not forget these are intelligent animals with needs of their own". Teaching a Parrot to speak English is great, but if it causes the Parrot to over groom through stress (my own belief) then is it really worth it? At the end of the day the Parrot gains nothing from being taught to speak English.

Are you saying that no reseach should be done on animals? Or is it better to have animal sanctuaries that do not understand the full needs, wants and capabilities of the animals they are trying to help, due to a lack of understanding they could have had if a few other chimps had to live in good yet confined conditions with the ability to use natural behaviors etc?

People would not benefit from medicine if no people centuries ago suffered, but I wont be refusing treatment if I need it.
No I'm saying lets be cautious when using animals in research studies. See my last paragraph above.

If the end does not justify the means and is despicable...i must be muddled up, do you not work in a hospital or medical profession?

Sorry of I'm wrong, but thought you did.
I'm an RGN. Ethical and legal studies was my first module at University, the end does not justify the means is one of the major ethical studies used in the medical profession, but I'm not sure how that relates to this topic?

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Re parrots, synchronised moulting is not rare amongst birds and of couse is generally seasonal...................
One Parrot was dead.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
In farm animals, research into how they communicate with each other and their social set ups has led to improved housing conditions. Of course, this has been driven by commercial gain and, in my own opinion, it's only because of the increasing yields that come with putting more research into practice that has swayed farmers to make the changes.

If we can learn to communicate properly with animals there will be many applications, not least of which will be a greater empathy on our part when we suddenly decide to move into and take over their habitats. Wouldn't it be good to be able to say to a herd of elephants, hey pal, can you change your route a little as we've built some houses down there and you're putting your lives at risk if you take that path so try this one, instead of just culling the animals that have become an inconvenience to us? It would, of course, also save human lives in that a stampeding herd is likely to kill and destroy anything in its path.

Far fetched? Only if we don't keep up with the research to find better ways to live alongside the animals that cohabit this planet with us.

Programmes like the one shown are selective in what they cover as it is produced for our entertainment. Watching an ape hit buttons faster than we can is amusing and will have gained a much larger audience than showing the 'nitty gritty' research that goes on that is of mutual benefit to both animals and humans.
In the USA Mega Dairies are common, these are farms where dairy herds are kept indoors permanently to make the production of milk more profitable. I'm afraid as lovely as it would be to believe that animal research is done to improve the lives of animals, the truth is it's done in order for Humans to profit more from them.

I don't deny that research into the communication of animals is fascinating and extremely valuable, but we need to remember that they're still living, breathing animals and should be allowed to be so regardless.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >