View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I think learning about awareness, learning, communication, respect, emotion and generally opening your eyes and looking past your own species and inner circle is just as important as a cure for cancer. I also do not think that any scientist who studies learning theory, zoology or whatever else should be made to feel as though they should only use their talents to experiment on animals for cancer cures (or only research into that area) when most of the causes are man made. I also do not see how one area can be a huge waste of money and the other not as I don't think they are mutually exclusive or inclusive of each other. I just don't believe its that black and white. If it is then why are NASA giving a toss about what happens on the moon when they could be curing cancer....
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
We would be a very selfish species if we thought that we were the only important life on this planet of ours. Like it or not, each species has a role to play that is beneficial to all other species that inhabit this Earth of ours. The more we understand and learn to respect other species, the more beneficial it is to us.

On a very simplistic level, it's both interesting and fascinating to learn as much as we can about the animals we share this planet with.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
We would be a very selfish species if we thought that we were the only important life on this planet of ours. Like it or not, each species has a role to play that is beneficial to all other species that inhabit this Earth of ours. The more we understand and learn to respect other species, the more beneficial it is to us.

On a very simplistic level, it's both interesting and fascinating to learn as much as we can about the animals we share this planet with.
Yes they have a role to play, a Chimp should be a Chimp, not touching a screen for a peanut! A Dolphin should be a dolphin, not performing tricks for a fish, I totally agree!

It will be of absolutely no benefit to us at all whatsoever that a Chimp can do certain "tasks" if you like quicker than us. How could it?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 09:45 AM
A dog should be a dog, not ponce around a show ring for the ego of its owner.

There will be people who think that too.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes they have a role to play, a Chimp should be a Chimp, not touching a screen for a peanut! A Dolphin should be a dolphin, not performing tricks for a fish, I totally agree!

It will be of absolutely no benefit to us at all whatsoever that a Chimp can do certain "tasks" if you like quicker than us. How could it?
Maybe, maybe not. Have you ever read up on the navy seals? Have you ever seen carrier pigeons utilised? Have you ever seen the work on bomb detection by rats? Have you ever seen a guide dog lead a blind person, a hearing dog alert a deaf person, a guide horse lead a blind person, a seizure alert dog in action etc, etc, etc???

It all started with someone, somewhere exploring the possibilities
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I still think its a HUGE waste of money. Far better researching medicine IMO, that will benefit humans.
Do you think everything that is researched, taught or whatever should only be done if it is for the benefit of 'humans'?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Dawn, they are *not* tricks for our amusement - they are studies that provide tangible insight into a number of scientific areas.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

They are not even in the same league. If Dawn really does want to go on about animals performing tricks for us - then dog showing would fit that bill perfectly.

What do we _learn_ from the act of dog showing? (nothing)
What do we _learn_ from the scientific studies as per the program? (lots)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:00 PM

So we shouldnt bother with clicker training dogs either?

and if people such as Karen Pryor hadn't worked with sea animals and learning theory etc we wouldnt have clicker training for dogs on the scale we do....and if initial research studies re; animals and childrens learning etc etc, positive reinforcement etc etc then maybe we would still be beating dogs with sticks letting them out to roam while we work and caning kids at school who cant say their times tables in class....

I actually think that you came out with your (IMO very strange) comment to get a rise out of people Dawn. Not everyones working lives in a scientific field should centre around cancer cures etc. Why should they?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 05:57 PM
It suits many people to think that animals are emotionless and unitelligent. That way it is OK to use them and abuse them. Programmes like this shake the foundations of their beliefs

rune----I rose
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Have you ever read up on the navy seals? Have you ever seen carrier pigeons utilised? Have you ever seen the work on bomb detection by rats? Have you ever seen a guide dog lead a blind person, a hearing dog alert a deaf person, a guide horse lead a blind person, a seizure alert dog in action etc, etc, etc???

It all started with someone, somewhere exploring the possibilities
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Do you think everything that is researched, taught or whatever should only be done if it is for the benefit of 'humans'?
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Dawn, they are *not* tricks for our amusement - they are studies that provide tangible insight into a number of scientific areas.

They are not even in the same league. If Dawn really does want to go on about animals performing tricks for us - then dog showing would fit that bill perfectly.

What do we _learn_ from the act of dog showing? (nothing)
What do we _learn_ from the scientific studies as per the program? (lots)
Your opinion folks, I honestly do not agree with it and find it a total waste of money.

SB.
If I got paid for showing what they got paid for "teaching tricks" Id agree with you!
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »