Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:10 PM

Can dogs have OCD?

I ask because Takara has this 'thing' about her blankets.

I pile them all neatly next to the bed or sometimes they're on the bed and Takara will come and take them, one by one into the garden.

It's usually just the black proplan ones that she takes out with her.

She takes one, leaves it on the drive, then goes and gets the second one and puts it with the first. Then she leaves it there to go and play in the garden.

I used to put them back straight away but she'd start a tug of war so I now put them back while she's not looking but as soon as she notices they're back inside, she goes and collects them and puts them back on the drive

Daft thing is, she doesn't do anything with them when they're outside - she just seems to think that's where they should be.

Any ideas?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:13 PM
She reckons you are a rotten housekeeper because you have not aired the bedding. Just take note and don't forget to turn the mattress.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Well my vet thinks Maddy has a canine form of Autism but it's all very 'new' in research apparently along with canine ADHD and other hyperactivity disorders, but it's on the same spectrum isn't it?

I think personally, if a human can have such a thing then surely a dog can too and any other animal for that matter but a lot of people just laugh or even condemn me for thinking it, so I don't really say it often about Maddy.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:16 PM
LOL!!

That sounds just like Takara, actually. You should see the deathly look I get if I ask her to lay on the floor with no bed!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Kel,

I've often joked Takara has the canine form of ADHD but she doesn't quite fit all the criteria!

I think most dogs are somewhat autistic in their behaviour anyway though...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Kel,

I've often joked Takara has the canine form of ADHD but she doesn't quite fit all the criteria!

I think most dogs are somewhat autistic in their behaviour anyway though...
They often are Lottie yes, especially certain breeds.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 02:31 AM
hmm maybe!! i dont really know though maybe she just likes doing it??
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Could be a form of dominance confusion ! Some dogs do this merely to relate that 'their' belongings should be where 'they' leave them, not YOU Many dogs with slight dominance issues do it regularly with toys (put them away, they get them back out, but not to play with them !) It's usually a test, to see who will win ! Sounds like Pushing boundaries to me
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 07:24 AM
I saw a behaviourist on t.v dealing with OCD in a collie so if he is to be believed then yes they can.... Fudge certainly shows some traits when it comes to the bunnies here.....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
She reckons you are a rotten housekeeper because you have not aired the bedding. Just take note and don't forget to turn the mattress.
LOL must be catching Bruce does that...only with the one bed though.....figured he didn;t like the colour
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >