register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Westie_N is offline  
Location: West of Scotland
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,034
Female 
 
10-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Let a dog sniff my hand and we both got an electric shock! Interesting behaviour.

At the HTM show last weekend, I met a friend and her Papilion.

Before stroking the dog, I said hello to him and let him sniff my hand first, but when I approached his nose we both got an electric shock that we both felt AND heard! It was quite odd! I don't think that's ever happened to me before when I've let a dog sniff my hand.

Leo (the Pap) started growling at me and was really not impressed! He wouldn't come near me for about 10 minutes!

He eventually came round in his own time and his owner gave me some fresh chicken to give to him to show him that I meant no harm!

It was rather odd, I must say!

And no, he did NOT have an electric shock collar on!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone else when letting a dog sniff your hand?
Reply With Quote
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Maisiesmum is offline  
Location: Berks Uk
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,036
Female 
 
10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Only with my own dogs.

Tess has received a shock from my hand on a few occasions. She finds it rather alarming and keeps away from me for a bit when it happens.

Polo got a few shocks off me only yesterday as it happens. I was using the vacuum cleaner and he touched my hand and I felt it! He kept coming back for more and seemed curious but I had to tell him to go away as I found it unpleasant. I keep getting shocks off the vacuum cleaner.
Reply With Quote
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Ben Mcfuzzylugs is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,723
Female 
 
10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
ouch!!
I get it sometimes with people and things - but I guess no reason why it shouldnt happen with dogs

Must have given you both a bit of a fright!
Reply With Quote
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Tillymint is offline  
Location: East Sussex
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,314
Female 
 
10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Yes!! I gave & received a shock to an ant the other day!!

My garden chairs have nylon covers & I was wearing my crocs (not sure if they are relevant!!)
Tilly was chasing ants on the patio & I went to point at one. Just as my finger hit the pavement I felt/heard the shock & the ant keeled over
I've done it a few times to Tilly & made her fur stand on end too or when I've put her lead on & we both jumped!!
I also get shocks from metal supermarket shelves & the car door I always shut the car door by the pushing the window now
I am a walking static magnet!!
Reply With Quote
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Tassle is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,065
Female 
 
10-06-2011, 09:43 PM
It has happened with me and Siren sometimes - when I lift her out of the van!

She does not react outwardly - I do as it flippin' hurts!!
Reply With Quote
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
MerlinsMum is offline  
Location: In an English country cowpat
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,810
Female 
 
10-06-2011, 09:43 PM
What shoes were you wearing at the time?
I get static shocks a lot, and even more so when wearing certain footwear - in particular Crocs when I'm wearing them indoors.
Reply With Quote
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Maisiesmum is offline  
Location: Berks Uk
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,036
Female 
 
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
We used to deliberately give each other shocks as kids by wearing flipflops and dragging our feet across the carpet and then touching someone.
Reply With Quote
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Milk maid is offline  
Location: Calvados France
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,306
Female 
 
11-06-2011, 07:15 AM
It happens to me quite often, and does make me and the dogs jump, but looking at the replys it does look like the crocs help us build up the static. We dont tend to have carpets (just tiles) but I should think the mix of crocs and carpets would really build up the static
Reply With Quote
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Milk maid is offline  
Location: Calvados France
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,306
Female 
 
11-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
We used to deliberately give each other shocks as kids by wearing flipflops and dragging our feet across the carpet and then touching someone.
Oh yes I had forgoten, we used to do that
Reply With Quote
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
tumbleweed is offline  
Location: East sussex
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,843
Male 
 
11-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Its static electricity which can be built up by walking on certain types of carpet. Best to earth yourself first by touching something metal attached to ther ground.

tumbleweed
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top