Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
I have been noticing more and more little dogs being walked with harnesses why is this?I thought harnesses encouraged dogs to pull,correct me if I'm wrong,xxxxxxxx
IMHO the reason more people are using harnesses is because they have never taken the time to train their dogs to walk with them because they(the dog)want to, they put a collar & lead on as a puppy & expect the dog to walk nicely.

I have always trained my dogs off lead(at home as puppies)since I trained a friends GSD that couldn't have a lead used or her for training(been abused by a "dog breaker"). Using treats & toys to lure the puppy I spend a lot of time in small bursts teaching my puppies"puppy" heelwork with the puppy wearing a collar but no lead.

I took my 3 month old puppy to a local market a couple of weeks ago & had lots of people comment on how nicely he walked on the lead & that I must have spent hours lead training him. He has never been trained on the lead before he was trained to walk off lead. I only use the lead when I have to do like at training club & when taking him out & about. I actually have problems using a lead during training at club !!

Harnesses can control the pulling, but as soon as they are removed the pulling returns
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:21 PM
My old fella caught kc 5 years ago and it damaged his larnyx so when he's on a collar he chokes so I bought him a harness, he now don't pull and is a dream to walk.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
yep, I don't mind admitting to being lazy. But, in my slight defence, I didn't have her as a pup so inheritted the pulling.

With Hoki, she doesn't pull nearly as bad when she's wearing a harness for some reason (e.g. I could hold the lead with just my little finger if she was on the harness, but would need a full grip if the lead was connected to her collar - no idea why!)
Looks like you will be interested in seeing other peoples opinions too then.Fair play to peeps admitting the lazy aspect as it gives a better overall view on things.Just thought I'd say while I'm here your two are a credit to you,well done,xxxxxx

Originally Posted by kirstya72 View Post
I use harnesses when I'm walking my two together. They do walk nicely on normal collars when apart but pull like mad when together
The harnesses don't seem to encourage them to pull in fact they have the opposite effect and I feel I have much more control. But you are probably right Boobah, some of it is maybe down to laziness on my part they are both still young and are very much a work in progress, I think the pulling is very much linked to excitement when they are together but usually it is only me who is walking them on a day to day basis and I find that harnesses are the way to go in order for us to have a nice stress free walk together not an embarrassing debacle where I am stressed to the hilt and aching all over
Hopefully the need for them will reduce as dastardly and muttley get older, more settled and better behaved.
My two aren't particularly big but they are strong especially Charlie (lab).

Don't be embarrassed as your opinion is what I want and also how your dogs react to a harness,cheers for the input it's very much appreciated,xxxxxxxx
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
IMHO the reason more people are using harnesses is because they have never taken the time to train their dogs to walk with them because they(the dog)want to, they put a collar & lead on as a puppy & expect the dog to walk nicely.

I have always trained my dogs off lead(at home as puppies)since I trained a friends GSD that couldn't have a lead used or her for training(been abused by a "dog breaker"). Using treats & toys to lure the puppy I spend a lot of time in small bursts teaching my puppies"puppy" heelwork with the puppy wearing a collar but no lead.

I took my 3 month old puppy to a local market a couple of weeks ago & had lots of people comment on how nicely he walked on the lead & that I must have spent hours lead training him. He has never been trained on the lead before he was trained to walk off lead. I only use the lead when I have to do like at training club & when taking him out & about. I actually have problems using a lead during training at club !!

Harnesses can control the pulling, but as soon as they are removed the pulling returns
Great post and I have to agree with you,cheers for your input I'm sure other people will appreciate it too,xxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
My old fella caught kc 5 years ago and it damaged his larnyx so when he's on a collar he chokes so I bought him a harness, he now don't pull and is a dream to walk.
Did a collar just feel uncomfortable or was it because he is a puller in general,xxxxxxx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:32 PM
The correct configuration, [ Trail type, Puppia and Dog Games types in particular ], greatly helps for the prevention of pulling.
The front configuration does`nt give a dog anything to push into to get their weight behind it, [ with a collar they can put full weight into it ], and the body strap where the lead attaches at the top helps break momentum - if the dog pulls, the lead slightly raises the body so they can`t get full power into propelling forward.
Because these type of harness are balanced and made to be comfortable, the dog does`nt feel so restricted as they do when on collar to lead, so the dog can relax more, which enables better communication from the hander, [ a dog struggling on a collar is`nt going to listen well ], and because the dog can`t pull so hard the handler gets less frustrated.
It also enables training games like direction and speed changes because the dog won`t be unbalanced, [ due to the position of the lead D ring ], and does`nt cause the frustration of the stop-start method usually done on lead,[ bearing in mind sudden stops even on a flat lead can cause throat damage ].

So, a correctly fitted harness of a suitable type straight away helps ease the pulling, makes training communication easier, and can safely incorporate fun into the training because the dog won`t be jerked by the neck.

So there ya go Boobah, the basics of how and why they work which is contrary to the mistaken belief that a harness aids pulling - harnesses which are designed for encouraging pulling ie for pulling sleds, they are supposed to make pulling easy - they are a different configuration altogether to a harness which helps prevent pulling though

[ Can`t stand the `anti-pull` Lupi type though, ime they are far worse than a standard comfortable trail and can cause rubbing / chaffing as well as just being pretty ineffective anyway compared to a good ol` trail harness ].
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:36 PM
my dogs little, only 12 inchs tall and we have only ever used a lead & collar & his fine on it! i trained him on it indoors before i went out with it!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The correct configuration, [ Trail type, Puppia and Dog Games types in particular ], greatly helps for the prevention of pulling.
The front configuration does`nt give a dog anything to push into to get their weight behind it, [ with a collar they can put full weight into it ], and the body strap where the lead attaches at the top helps break momentum - if the dog pulls, the lead slightly raises the body so they can`t get full power into propelling forward.
Because these type of harness are balanced and made to be comfortable, the dog does`nt feel so restricted as they do when on collar to lead, so the dog can relax more, which enables better communication from the hander, [ a dog struggling on a collar is`nt going to listen well ], and because the dog can`t pull so hard the handler gets less frustrated.
It also enables training games like direction and speed changes because the dog won`t be unbalanced, [ due to the position of the lead D ring ], and does`nt cause the frustration of the stop-start method usually done on lead,[ bearing in mind sudden stops even on a flat lead can cause throat damage ].

So, a correctly fitted harness of a suitable type straight away helps ease the pulling, makes training communication easier, and can safely incorporate fun into the training because the dog won`t be jerked by the neck.

So there ya go Boobah, the basics of how and why they work which is contrary to the mistaken belief that a harness aids pulling - harnesses which are designed for encouraging pulling ie for pulling sleds, they are supposed to make pulling easy - they are a different configuration altogether to a harness which helps prevent pulling though

[ Can`t stand the `anti-pull` Lupi type though, ime they are far worse than a standard comfortable trail and can cause rubbing / chaffing as well as just being pretty ineffective anyway compared to a good ol` trail harness ].
Cheers Patch but wouldn't it be much simpler to just teach dogs not to pull in the first place.It's just everywhere I go these days people are being dragged about with dogs on harnesses ie,Lhasas,sbt's jrt's etc xxxxxxxxx
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
my dogs little, only 12 inchs tall and we have only ever used a lead & collar & his fine on it! i trained him on it indoors before i went out with it!
Obviously because you have put the training in you don't need a harness then,well done you,xxxxxxxx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2008, 04:39 PM
All of my dogs have started out in harnesses because I prefer them on young dogs and I have never had a puller. They do gradually progress to flat collars.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
All of my dogs have started out in harnesses because I prefer them on young dogs and I have never had a puller. They do gradually progress to flat collars.
Why and how did you progress,if you don't mind me asking,xxxxxxxxxx
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »