Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
The dog doesnt have rage.

My sister bought him as a puppy without looking into the breed and then couldnt cope with him because he was so escitable and she had a baby on the way. Can we discuss this somewhere else if you are interested please.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by stolen_wing View Post
He is excited... he is an extremely excitable dog... that doesnt mean he isnt happy that someone has come to see him. Just different terminology. And I know he needs help. He had a dog behaviourist in who told him to use 'domination' techniques which arent working. And he had a gundog trainer come. The dog instantly shut up and listened. But not to my dad. This is why i feel he shouldnt have him.
I would actually disagree that happy and excited are different words for the same state of mind.

The problem with the dominance theory is that everyone clearly interprets it in a different way.

So what are these Domination techniques ?
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 10:03 PM
As you say, we all interpret it in different ways. Things I have heard of people using/my dad was told to use on this working dog are;

-not letting the dog through the door first (good safety technique before a walk but not really practical for every time the dog goes out for a wee etc)
-pinning the dog if he does something wrong (he thinks its a game)
-ignoring him if he wants to play
-ignoring him when hes excited to see you
-ignoring him if he wants to be stroked
-ignoring him if he barks
-not allowing him on furniture
-not allowing him upstairs
-not allowing him to pull on the lead

and others i cant remember off the top of my head
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I would actually disagree that happy and excited are different words for the same state of mind.
?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Soooooooo if someone you like comes to see that you havent seen for a long time would you not say taht you are both happy and excited to see them? The two come hand in hand in that situation no? Is the dog not allowed to feel those same or similar emotions?

I agree he shouldnt jump up, I was simply saying that the way he was being told to not jump up is not working.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
As you say, we all interpret it in different ways. Things I have heard of people using/my dad was told to use on this working dog are;

-not letting the dog through the door first (good safety technique before a walk but not really practical for every time the dog goes out for a wee etc)
Lots of us do this, it doesn't mean you have to go out the door first. you just have to train the dog to sit or wait or both while you open the door. just makes life easier.
-pinning the dog if he does something wrong (he thinks its a game) If he was doing it properly he wouldn't think it was a game, but proberbly completely unnecessary
-ignoring him if he wants to play
What does he do instead?
-ignoring him when hes excited to see you
If by excited you mean jumping all over you, I wouldn't ignore it but nor would I tolerate it
-ignoring him if he wants to be stroked

-ignoring him if he barks
I allow mine 2/2 barks and then tell them to shut up
-not allowing him on furniture
I do that
-not allowing him upstairs
I do that
-not allowing him to pull on the lead
Very sensible

and others i cant remember off the top of my head
Ok it doesn't mentions smacking him on the head with a newspaper though.

The thing is it is pointless to have a list as long as your arm of things the dog can't do but how long is the list of things it can do.
Basically every time you stop an unwanted behaviour you have to replace it with a desired one. Dogs need rules but like kids you can't just keep saying no don't do that. they have to things they can do to release their energy and channel their natural behaviours.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Not having the opportunity to see whats happening so not able to `read` the dog, I`d take a guess that he is desperate to please and so desperate for attention that he will take whatever he can get - and sadly dogs do take negative attention when there is nothing else on offer. What has he learned about jumping up ?
That it brings attention - negative attention yes, but still attention.
So the dog has indeed `learned` from what`s being done, just not what the owner actually wants, but in the absence of proper training in a way which will motivate and guide him toward a preferred behaviour, what choice has the poor lad got but to keep repeating the one thing he knows will get attention of some kind
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Not having the opportunity to see whats happening so not able to `read` the dog, I`d take a guess that he is desperate to please and so desperate for attention that he will take whatever he can get - and sadly dogs do take negative attention when there is nothing else on offer. What has he learned about jumping up ?
That it brings attention - negative attention yes, but still attention.
So the dog has indeed `learned` from what`s being done, just not what the owner actually wants, but in the absence of proper training in a way which will motivate and guide him toward a preferred behaviour, what choice has the poor lad got but to keep repeating the one thing he knows will get attention of some kind
Im sorry but I have to agree here, bad behaviour get's result's, if your dad ignored his bad behaviour and rewarded the good, the wee dog might be good to get the reward's if you get my drift.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Ok it doesn't mentions smacking him on the head with a newspaper though.

The thing is it is pointless to have a list as long as your arm of things the dog can't do but how long is the list of things it can do.
Basically every time you stop an unwanted behaviour you have to replace it with a desired one. Dogs need rules but like kids you can't just keep saying no don't do that. they have to things they can do to release their energy and channel their natural behaviours.
Thats excatly the same as what i said earlier on... about the sniffing needing to be channelled. He is a working dog and was bred to flush game/retrieve game. I have tried to explain all this to my dad but you havnt met him or been his daughter for the last 22 years. Maybe if you tell him he will listen to you. All I get is frustrated.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Soooooooo if someone you like comes to see that you havent seen for a long time would you not say taht you are both happy and excited to see them? The two come hand in hand in that situation no? Is the dog not allowed to feel those same or similar emotions?

I agree he shouldnt jump up, I was simply saying that the way he was being told to not jump up is not working.
No, I don't really do excited sorry, if I went to see a friend that I hadn't seen in years, if she jumped all over me hugging me and kissing me, knocking me about etc. I'd have to say something rude

I understand you think it's not working, and it's not likely to, the dog need instructions, he needs to know what he can do, he wants to please he just doesn't know what to do in order to please, because no one is telling him in a way he understands.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Im sorry but I have to agree here, bad behaviour get's result's, if your dad ignored his bad behaviour and rewarded the good, the wee dog might be good to get the reward's if you get my drift.
Why are you apologisin for agreeing? everyone seems to think that I am on my dads side in this conversation?! Ive already said I dont agree with how its being done!!

Can we go back on subject now??!!
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »