View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Still not 'dominance' though just doing a behaviour to get what it wants, hence not to give in if that behaviour is undesireable
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Still not 'dominance' though just doing a behaviour to get what it wants, hence not to give in if that behaviour is undesireable
Becky
It could be perceived that way ! I've had nightmare dogs, dealt with (what seemed like) untrainable dogs, been around impossible dogs, and yet this behaviour isnt anything like that, it's a very calm 'attitude' if you like.

Like I said, almost impossible to explain, you need to experience it to believe it
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Dominance? Not sure if it is actual dominance or gaining the dogs trust and respect. The dog has to be confident that you are confident
This sums it up really well

Its the difference between a human dominating a dog and `demanding` respect from that dog compared to earning it.
Personally, I think a dogs respect which has been earned will never waver, but dogs of whom its been `demanded` will happily walk away from that person if given a choice of someone else with a more understanding approach.
Well, I don`t so much just think as have seen it time and time again in rescue dogs where its more than obvious what sort of `training` they`d had by their responses to things, and not just those trained, [ or abused ], in a heavy handed physical way if you get my drift.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
It could be perceived that way ! I've had nightmare dogs, dealt with (what seemed like) untrainable dogs, been around impossible dogs, and yet this behaviour isnt anything like that, it's a very calm 'attitude' if you like.

Like I said, almost impossible to explain, you need to experience it to believe it
I'm not keen on this 'if you havnt seen it then you dont know' attitude, I dont have a dog so people tell me i dont know. But that doesnt mean I havnt experienced dogs or seen other dogs at work and seen what does and doesnt work for each one individually. To be honest, everyone on this forum could see one dog doing one thing and we would all interpret it in our own way so its not a case of 'see it to believe it' or 'experience to believe it', its a case of my opinion vs your opinion.

Regarding the idea that repeptitive behaviour is the dog being dominant... lets take one small example. My dads Cocker jumps up when he is excited and happy and wants to play. If he jumps up my dad whacks him (not something i agree with as i said earlier) then shouts at him and if he still doesnt stop he will pin him down. But regardless of this happening without fail, the dog still jumps up when hes happy to see someone. Is he being dominant by doing that? I dont think so. Is it fair that he gets hit for it and punished for being happy to see someone? Not really. Is he confused? I expect so.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by stolen_wing View Post
My dad is trying to train his cocker spaniel using dominance, something i disagree with, and its not working in the slightest. The only way you can train a breed like that is to burn his energy and interact with him. By putting him in a cage, stopping him from sniffing things and playing or running around he is simply inhibiting his natural energy. Is the dog being dominant because he was bred to be energetic and ask to play? I doubt it very much. In fact he is the soppiest dog I ever met.

I knew this topic would get you all going!! Bit of healthy debate/frustrated shouting never hurt anyone... right? :S
Is what your dad is doing Dominance then? Cos from your description it sounds more like cruelty, or was that the point? Does he actually crate train, and expect the dog to walk nicely on the lead without stopping every couple of minutes to sniff every lamp post? I've had a cocker spaniel and they are pretty easy to train.

I have studied a group of fox hounds - as you will all know, these dogs are kept in kennels and effectively 'hunt' as a pack. They have pack structures within the dogs. When we put a group of humans in amongst them, they did as that human said. Regardless of who it was. Whether they were telling them to sit and stay or to leave a bone. You cant tell me that these dogs thought that ALL humans are 'alphas' because thats not how it works!
You could try that with my lot who are very calm and well behaved as that's the way they've been brought up, but I think they would ignore you and your group of humans, they take very little notice of people even if they are trying to fuss them, they're simply not interested.

Least thats my views.
And that's my view. Oh and I don't do dominance and pack hierachy, I bring my dogs up in the same way as I brought my kids up, I make the rules and set the limits and they have to follow them, the dogs like the kids have found me to be a benevolent and fair leader who takes no s**t from no one.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm not keen on this 'if you havnt seen it then you dont know' attitude, I dont have a dog so people tell me i dont know. But that doesnt mean I havnt experienced dogs or seen other dogs at work and seen what does and doesnt work for each one individually. To be honest, everyone on this forum could see one dog doing one thing and we would all interpret it in our own way so its not a case of 'see it to believe it' or 'experience to believe it', its a case of my opinion vs your opinion.

Regarding the idea that repeptitive behaviour is the dog being dominant... lets take one small example. My dads Cocker jumps up when he is excited and happy and wants to play. If he jumps up my dad whacks him (not something i agree with as i said earlier) then shouts at him and if he still doesnt stop he will pin him down. But regardless of this happening without fail, the dog still jumps up when hes happy to see someone. Is he being dominant by doing that? I dont think so. Is it fair that he gets hit for it and punished for being happy to see someone? Not really. Is he confused? I expect so.
I would say the dog is excited where you say happy, A dog can be happy and calm which would be preferable as not everyone likes or wants to be jumped on and the dog can;t be expected to know who does and who doesn't. Your dad needs help with his training techniques frankly.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Oh i agree that limits need to be set and that you need to be fair and not take crap. I wouldnt agree that you let your dog do anything it wants. Im just talking about how you go about stopping it from doing those things!

He crates him because hes an extremely hyper dog, hes a working cocker not a show cocker. Not sure which yours is but this dog is absolutely mental and in my opinion my dad shouldnt have him.

He doesnt stop him sniffing the lamp posts etc, its more the continual nose to the ground never look up to see what hes sniffing type of sniffing that hes discouraging. But i dont agree with that either. I feel that he needs to channel that sniffinf energy into game play to stop him from getting so over excited by everything else (he gets a little over excited around other dogs and sniffs them so enthusuastically that they will tend to go for him)... he is a handful and i dont agree with the way my dad is going about it. Though I dont consider it cruelty I do consider it to be confusing and 'breaking' the dog.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I would say the dog is excited where you say happy, A dog can be happy and calm which would be preferable as not everyone likes or wants to be jumped on and the dog can;t be expected to know who does and who doesn't. Your dad needs help with his training techniques frankly.
He is excited... he is an extremely excitable dog... that doesnt mean he isnt happy that someone has come to see him. Just different terminology. And I know he needs help. He had a dog behaviourist in who told him to use 'domination' techniques which arent working. And he had a gundog trainer come. The dog instantly shut up and listened. But not to my dad. This is why i feel he shouldnt have him.
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
But were not talking about my dads dog... thats on another thread already...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh i agree that limits need to be set and that you need to be fair and not take crap. I wouldnt agree that you let your dog do anything it wants. Im just talking about how you go about stopping it from doing those things!
Not by whacking it with a newspaper that's for sure
He crates him because hes an extremely hyper dog, hes a working cocker not a show cocker. Not sure which yours is but this dog is absolutely mental and in my opinion my dad shouldnt have him.
Ok but that's not what crates are intended for. Mine was a cocker I owned back in 1979 till 1990 who suffered from Rage. Which I dealt with but he wasn't mental it's a medical condition.

He doesnt stop him sniffing the lamp posts etc, its more the continual nose to the ground never look up to see what hes sniffing type of sniffing that hes discouraging. But i dont agree with that either. I feel that he needs to channel that sniffinf energy into game play to stop him from getting so over excited by everything else (he gets a little over excited around other dogs and sniffs them so enthusuastically that they will tend to go for him)... he is a handful and i dont agree with the way my dad is going about it. Though I dont consider it cruelty I do consider it to be confusing and 'breaking' the dog.
Why did your dad by a cocker if he objects to cocker characteristics? How old is this dog?
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »