Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 06:50 PM

A bit shocked at this!

I was just cruising round the net, like you do, and I found a breeder who had a litter born in November, the father of the pups was born in January.
Now I think that is way too young to sire a litter, you have no idea how he is going to turn out until he has fully matured. They also have only started in this breed in June 2004 and have already bred 3 litters!
Becky
sillyratterrier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Wow... I think that too soon, and also they are breeding so fast. I think that is way to fast for a breeder expecially since this is their 3 litter and they have not been doing this for very long so they don't really know how the pups are going to turn out when they get fully grown.

Erin
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2006, 08:08 PM
a breeder who had a litter born in November, the father of the pups was born in January.
They also have only started in this breed in June 2004 and have already bred 3 litters!
What a rediculous state of affairs to get into! How on earth are they going to advise their potential puppy buyers about the breed/lines/etc when they haven't been in it long enough to learn anything themselves!

Unfortunately we live in a world of 'instant experts'. We see it all the time - people start showing and imediately think they should be winning big time and judging - and not only their own breed but others too! It takes many many years to truly understand a breed but it seems that so many people want to run before they can walk.

Debs
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Yep there are unscrupulous breeders around. Mind you we were worried for a while, kept our two apart whilst Kimi in season when 1 yr old Grandson found out how to open her cage and we found two dogs tog, very worrying for a while, how would be speak to doggy folk again and so on, useless people we are and so on anyway phew she is ok, xxxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 09:15 PM
They say on their website that they believe in quality not quantity. Erm 3 litters in 2 years is tother way round. I've only had 4 litters in 13 years and I was 5 years into my breed before I bred my first litter.
The same happening with the poodles, owned them for 6 years without breeding.
Becky
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 09:41 PM
It is usual in my breed to use a dog at just under a year old to "prove" him, then leave him until 2 years before using him again. However, it is a very different story with bitches who are simply unable, physically and emotionally, to cope with a litter until they are 2.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 10:12 PM
have they had other breeds in the past? could they be breeders that have changed breed? or are they just newbys
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 10:17 PM
I think they've had other breeds although not much on their website regarding breeding. I just think under a year is far too young for any breed and 3 litters in 2 years is way too fast. You can't get to know a breed in just 2 years.
I'd never use a dog under 2 for the first time because you just have no idea how he's going to mature, anything could happen in how he develops and if you've used him then he's produced dodgy puppies.
Becky
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 11:06 PM
3 litters in 2 years ??????????if thats to different mums then i don't see a problem I once used quite a young dog for stud ( over a year ) but i knew his dad grandad and great grandad ....I did use him as unproven BUT i do see your points if the bitch breeder dosen't know the history

PS he held both clear heart and eye certs
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Now I think that is way too young to sire a litter, you have no idea how he is going to turn out until he has fully matured.
Not only that, but he wouldn't have been hip-scored either (under the BVA scheme) (he *could* have been Penn-hip scored though I guess).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >