Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by greenmissjp View Post
I'm going to buy the lead and collar today, got the head collar. Just really nervous he will slip it during one of his frenzies. He almost has once before, then what do I do if he goes over to the dog?? think I will put his harness on too just in case....
Good luck with it.

Re the Trainer Crystalgirl used - I'd have been wanting my money back at least.

I've never paid for the services of a personal trainer but as for you telling her nothing about the dog or the problem - I just assume a good trainer would want to know what problems you were having and ask you about the dog to find out as much as possible. Not just leave it until they are there with the dog to see for themselves. All my dogs behaved differently when other people were visiting - especially strangers.

And staying for a week? In your house? Or nearby?

As for what you were told by her - told to back off and all that pack leader stuff? Am also puzzled how a dog that won't eat would be considered to be displaying signs of wanting to be pack leader? Totally baffling to me. This trainer surely CANNOT be typical of the profession? I wouldn't let that very weird experience put you off using a better (well recommended) trainer.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2013, 07:40 PM
hi greenmissjp

I too have had real serious problems with my dog and his aggression/reactivity to other dogs, I can only tell you what works for me. I swear by the technique of BAT - if you do a search on the web you'll find lots of advice on the technique (I'm also now moving on to "Look at That" - again a search on the web will give you some idea), basically when I come across another dog I watch him very carefully for the slightest change in his demeanour - that could be sniffing the ground, yawning, shaking his body (like he's trying to shake off water), grunting, slightly growling etc. I then immediately call his name as cheerfully and as suitably loud and about turn or at the very least walk in another direction giving him a treat or two. I am amazed at how well it worked and just how quickly it worked. He voluntarily about turns when he comes across a dog and looks at me for a treat. The most important thing is to about turn or change direction the moment you spot a change in his behaviour, rotties have great stares so that might be something to look out for. The other thing about rotties are they are incredible sight dogs so he will be scanning the horizon all the time when you're out with him so you have to be one step ahead.

I only practice this technique when he is on a lead, he's only allowed offlead when there is no chance of coming into contact with other dogs - except now he does have some friends. He is also muzzled most of the time.

I had a wonderful behaviourist she watched him very carefully and took a detailed history and came to the conclusion that his reactivity was rooted in anxiety not raw aggression. Basically we were told he was good with other dogs when we first got him so allowed him to play with any dog - some of which were very rough players and it completely unnerved him and I suspect one day he discovered aggression did the trick.

good luck with him. Please let us know how it goes.

hi everyone, I think this is my 3rd post now on Dogsey and needing a bit of help again please.

I'm seeing a behaviourist who runs a GSD rehoming and dog training facility on Weds but wanted to sound you guys out too in the meantime.

As some of you know already Cap is not keen on other dogs. But I think it's getting worse and now he goes mad at cars and vans too... it's all getting a bit stressful because I can't really control it when we're out. Here's the problem;
- because he's been set upon by two small dogs and reacted previously I'm anxious it could happen again
- he is muzzled when we go out all the time, but can get out it so I'm trying to find a better one
- he fixates when out so he won't listen or take treats, when he sees a dog coming he goes back on his lead, and pretty much freezes. If I try to walk him away, he leans away from me so I can't move him.
- As the dog approaches he gets more and more tense, I try to help him relax but he is almost rigid
- when the dog gets within 6 feet or so he starts going mad, rearing up, twizzling round, growling and snarling - in fact on Sunday my fingers got caught in his harness and he twizzled with them and I felt like my hand was going to snap

I am concerned that he is getting worse because I have distanced him from dogs. But I daren't introduce him because of the aggression I've seen so it's a vicious circle.
I have had to pull him away from other dogs at times because he won't move of his own accord. I hate this as it looks like I'm being cruel when I'm not, I'm just trying to manage a situation. It has recently reduced me to tears a few times and people in the area know who he is and avoid him. He did have a friend, Maisie the Ridgeback but her owners got a Spaniel now too and Cap's least fave dog is the Spaniel as a young pup ran rings round him tormenting him last year....

I am running out of ideas. I am hoping to learn some clicker training with him - I don't want miracles, just him being calm past another dog would do! Any ideas gratefully received. I love him dearly and only want what's best for him.....
thanks guys.
Emma
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
hi greenmissjp

I too have had real serious problems with my dog and his aggression/reactivity to other dogs, I can only tell you what works for me. I swear by the technique of BAT - if you do a search on the web you'll find lots of advice on the technique (I'm also now moving on to "Look at That" - again a search on the web will give you some idea), basically when I come across another dog I watch him very carefully for the slightest change in his demeanour - that could be sniffing the ground, yawning, shaking his body (like he's trying to shake off water), grunting, slightly growling etc. I then immediately call his name as cheerfully and as suitably loud and about turn or at the very least walk in another direction giving him a treat or two. I am amazed at how well it worked and just how quickly it worked. He voluntarily about turns when he comes across a dog and looks at me for a treat. The most important thing is to about turn or change direction the moment you spot a change in his behaviour, rotties have great stares so that might be something to look out for. The other thing about rotties are they are incredible sight dogs so he will be scanning the horizon all the time when you're out with him so you have to be one step ahead.

I only practice this technique when he is on a lead, he's only allowed offlead when there is no chance of coming into contact with other dogs - except now he does have some friends. He is also muzzled most of the time.

I had a wonderful behaviourist she watched him very carefully and took a detailed history and came to the conclusion that his reactivity was rooted in anxiety not raw aggression. Basically we were told he was good with other dogs when we first got him so allowed him to play with any dog - some of which were very rough players and it completely unnerved him and I suspect one day he discovered aggression did the trick.

good luck with him. Please let us know how it goes.
Thanks Baxter, that's really useful. I really do need to work on how to get Cap to move when he sees a dog coming as the only way he currently will move is forward to wards the other dog. I can't make him walk away at the moment, not even in a head collar. I will keep trying though.
I've come to a very happy decision, that I would rather pay and learn this stuff myself than pay someone else so I'm enrolling on a course with Compass to be able to help him as much as I can. I am reading at every opportunity too so I can understand this. His behaviourist from earlier told me that he is nervous agressive not pure aggressive so we will get there.
thanks for your amazing support
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi I notice Apache had given you an excellent run-down of the BAT technique - sorry I hadn't read everyone's responses.

I only wanted to say that you need to see the dog before he does, let him glance that way and IMMEDIATELY turn around - cheerfully, clicking and calling him. You have to act before he does.

I also apologise because I thought your dog was a rottie !!! and of course he's a GSD

This is great advice. the only sticking part will be the running away because he won't budge. the only direction he will go in is towards the other dog.....hence my problem if I could run away I would lol )))
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Hi I notice Apache had given you an excellent run-down of the BAT technique - sorry I hadn't read everyone's responses.

I only wanted to say that you need to see the dog before he does, let him glance that way and IMMEDIATELY turn around - cheerfully, clicking and calling him. You have to act before he does.

I also apologise because I thought your dog was a rottie !!! and of course he's a GSD
No he is a Rottie, you were right first time!! thanks, I will research the BAT technique and don't be sorry, it's great to hear more than one take on things!! thanks again. x
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Sorry he is a rottie! It's gin o'clock I think. GSD or rottie he is immensely lucky to have you. The quality of the advice on here is absolutely wonderful - I have been helped through some difficult dark times with my dog by people on here.

Sorry - also wanted to add, (I will shut-up after this) is that someone said that try solitude walks with him - and I have to say intuitively that sounds right, if his aggression is due to anxiety, which I suspect it will be then what's to be gained by forcing him into situations that make him anxious, as he gains in confidence and faith in you as his best friend then you can start to introduce him to dogs and other triggers from afar and gradually get closer. You'll know what he can and cannot tolerate.

No he is a Rottie, you were right first time!! thanks, I will research the BAT technique and don't be sorry, it's great to hear more than one take on things!! thanks again. x
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Sorry he is a rottie! It's gin o'clock I think. GSD or rottie he is immensely lucky to have you. The quality of the advice on here is absolutely wonderful - I have been helped through some difficult dark times with my dog by people on here.

Sorry - also wanted to add, (I will shut-up after this) is that someone said that try solitude walks with him - and I have to say intuitively that sounds right, if his aggression is due to anxiety, which I suspect it will be then what's to be gained by forcing him into situations that make him anxious, as he gains in confidence and faith in you as his best friend then you can start to introduce him to dogs and other triggers from afar and gradually get closer. You'll know what he can and cannot tolerate.
I agree completely about not forcing him into situations he isn't comfy with - but he has to go for a walk I try to time it right and go places that are quiet. strangely though, he is fine and very happy when we go anywhere, it's just when he sees a dog it all goes downhill. but i very rarely seem to be able to go anywhere where there is nobody else. it's really hard to find space for just us.... some days we don't see anyone, other days we see 3 or 4 dogs. I don't know what else I can do about that? any ideas gratefully received....
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2013, 10:41 PM
To be honest it is really difficult to find places where other dogs don't go. We live in a very rural area but still see a lot of dogs but often take him into fields which aren't designated footpaths, the farmers don't seem to mind. Or we jump in the car and take him off somewhere - but it isn't easy. I guess the best you can do is keep as much distance as you can from other dogs and certainly avoid narrow paths or lanes where he is forced to walk towards them in close proximity. If you do have that situation take a big bag full of treats and feed him handfuls - it sometimes works

I agree completely about not forcing him into situations he isn't comfy with - but he has to go for a walk I try to time it right and go places that are quiet. strangely though, he is fine and very happy when we go anywhere, it's just when he sees a dog it all goes downhill. but i very rarely seem to be able to go anywhere where there is nobody else. it's really hard to find space for just us.... some days we don't see anyone, other days we see 3 or 4 dogs. I don't know what else I can do about that? any ideas gratefully received....
missyj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Personally I would change your behaviourist. I'm always a bit suspicious of people who run breed specific training classes...how is that good for the dogs to only train with dogs that look just like them?! If you use scientifically proven methods it doesn't matter what size or shape the dog is. Is you trainer APDT or APBC registered? If not I would google either of these and find one in your area.

How does a dog know wot it looks like?????

Not like they spend time checking themselves out in a mirror????
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by missyj View Post
How does a dog know wot it looks like?????

Not like they spend time checking themselves out in a mirror????
I don't know about other breeds but my GSD can spot another and show excitement whereas most other dogs don't interest him.

Re the mirror, my GSD didn't get phased at all when he approached a mirror. He just sniffed and walked away. I had a black Lab that went bonkers when he caught sight of himself.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >