View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 09:12 PM
True...I find it easier to learn practically though. I did do a do a short course in companion animal behaviour. Think ill I back to it once my girls are older.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Hi,I was at my wits end with my puppy,she wouldnt eat,my older dog bless her spent time licking her,but my puppy just wasnt flourishing.So got a dog behavourist in checked her out,I gave her no information about me or the puppy,I wanted her to be totally unbiased,so she spent a week with us making notes etc,She knew I had mobility issues because I have crutches and a wheelchair,but what she said,made me feel really bad,she said that I should take a back seat,as because I was ill it was making the puppy worse,it was over compensating because it sensed that I wasnt strong,so couldnt be the pack leader,and it was trying to take that job on itself when it wasnt mature enough,that my OH should step up to the plate,but she recknos she had issues with males.In the end she told us that we should find her a more secure home where she could be a dog.It nearly destroyed me,thinking I was doing harm to something I loved,but we will continue she is not going anywhere.But I now mistrust all these so called experts there may be good ones out there,but I will never go through that sort of thing again it also cost us over £500 that was her travelling costs as well as her fee.crystalgirl
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Emma, you could edit your first post to remove any details.
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Hi sorry I don't understand? Don't mean to be dense?
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by greenmissjp View Post
thanks, I don't want to get her in trouble, I don't know her and that's only what I thought she had said. Going to cancel anyway and trust my gut but in case anyone reads this and knows who i speak about, I wasn't casting any aspersions as I really don't know her. I just didn't like what I THOUGHT I heard
Sorry Emma, I was referring to you not wanting to get her in trouble. You could delete the name of the rescue and any details.
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Will do :0) thx she hasn't done anything wrong tho it's just my preference. Night! :0)
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi,I was at my wits end with my puppy,she wouldnt eat,my older dog bless her spent time licking her,but my puppy just wasnt flourishing.So got a dog behavourist in checked her out,I gave her no information about me or the puppy,I wanted her to be totally unbiased,so she spent a week with us making notes etc,She knew I had mobility issues because I have crutches and a wheelchair,but what she said,made me feel really bad,she said that I should take a back seat,as because I was ill it was making the puppy worse,it was over compensating because it sensed that I wasnt strong,so couldnt be the pack leader,and it was trying to take that job on itself when it wasnt mature enough,that my OH should step up to the plate,but she recknos she had issues with males.In the end she told us that we should find her a more secure home where she could be a dog.It nearly destroyed me,thinking I was doing harm to something I loved,but we will continue she is not going anywhere.But I now mistrust all these so called experts there may be good ones out there,but I will never go through that sort of thing again it also cost us over £500 that was her travelling costs as well as her fee.crystalgirl
Wow! Spent a week with you and told you to take a back seat?! That sounds more like a con artist that a trainer! What is the point of telling the owner to take a back seat when they are the person living with the dog?! I take it they weren't APDT or apbc accredited?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
.But I now mistrust all these so called experts there may be good ones out there,but I will never go through that sort of thing again it also cost us over £500 that was her travelling costs as well as her fee.crystalgirl
Isn't this like having one bad experience with a doctor and never seeking any medical advice again?

Personally I would expect to pay under a lot less than that and there would be no need for someone to stay with you for a week! A couple of hours would suffice then I would expect a fully written up report including the advice they would have talked about during the assessment and then some follow up rehabilitation sessions.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl

sounds like someone was taking you for a ride, £500 worth so a pup that does not eat , is trying to take over the alpha role ......

What I don`t understand is ,why if your pup was not eating did`nt you consult a vet instead of a behaviourist
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 12:09 PM
I've had VETS I thought were rubbish - but it didn't lead me to distrust ALL vets. Just asked for recommendations and found a better one.

The same with Dentists, Doctors, Hairdressers, Painters, Plumbers - just because you have a bad experience with one cowboy doesn't mean everyone in the same profession is not to be trusted.

Personal recommendation every time is the way to go for me. Especially important when, like me, you've moved to a new country and have NO past tradespeople or professionals to call on and have to start over finding all new ones.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >