View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:39 PM
cheers! much appreciated and, can I just say, what a CUTE pooch you have!! what a little darling.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:41 PM
One thing she did say was that she would bring him a more suitable muzzle to put on in case he reacted if she had to "check him hard" - does this mean she is going to do something awful like the collar jerking etc? I do hope not I want him happy not scared. Maybe I am prejudging but I'd rather not start if it's that kind of training... will keep you posted.

Doesn't sound too promising. I'm sure you'll ask all the relevant questions first beforehand. You are so right though, you don't want him to be scared at all. That would be a real backwards step.
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:41 PM
thanks Egroeg, I know what you mean. I'm gonna ring her tomorrow and check what methods she uses. the website says no harsh methods etc but I suppose it's a case of individuals definition of harsh.... you guys are great, I LOVE this site. Well done all for taking part and keeping it the best dog forum around. Much appreciated. Emma & Captain (the latter is sleeping soundly in front of the TV at present lol)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by greenmissjp View Post
cheers! much appreciated and, can I just say, what a CUTE pooch you have!! what a little darling.
If you mean my dog, Bella the Min Pin. Affectionately known as the AYATOLLAH - I adore her but she certainly fits the description of the breed - the Tyrants of the Miniature Dog World! I've managed to train her well in the few things I require of her - stop, stay, come here. But she certainly does NOT live to please me lol!

Oh, and my humble opinion, you have certainly come to the BEST doggy site on the web. You will get loads of good, valuable and free information here. I learn something new about dogs every time I visit.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:43 PM
thanks Egroeg, I know what you mean. I'm gonna ring her tomorrow and check what methods she uses. the website says no harsh methods etc but I suppose it's a case of individuals definition of harsh.... you guys are great, I LOVE this site. Well done all for taking part and keeping it the best dog forum around. Much appreciated. Emma & Captain (the latter is sleeping soundly in front of the TV at present lol)
You're right. Some people would call shaking a rattle bottle not harsh
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
If you mean my dog, Bella the Min Pin. Affectionately known as the AYATOLLAH - I adore her but she certainly fits the description of the breed - the Tyrants of the Miniature Dog World! I've managed to train her well in the few things I require of her - stop, stay, come here. But she certainly does NOT live to please me lol!

Oh, and my humble opinion, you have certainly come to the BEST doggy site on the web. You will get loads of good, valuable and free information here. I learn something new about dogs every time I visit.
lol she looks like the kind of girl who knows what she wants and knows how to get it, meant in the nicest of ways. Still, she's beautiful
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
You're right. Some people would call shaking a rattle bottle not harsh
i was reading about those last night - Cap jumps out of his skin when a lorry releases its airbrakes, and when we first got him I couldn't use the cooker for 6 weeks or the vac as he was scared stiff! had to hoover when he was out on a walk.. so a rattle bottle will definitely only do harm in his case. Bit of a wuss really
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Bit of a wuss ... lol! The thing that used to scare Bella to death was my Air Wick Automatic Air Fresheners. They release a 'burst' at timed intervals. Lordy you should have seen her jump whenever this little 'whoosh' happened. She's got used to it now.
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Bit of a wuss ... lol! The thing that used to scare Bella to death was my Air Wick Automatic Air Fresheners. They release a 'burst' at timed intervals. Lordy you should have seen her jump whenever this little 'whoosh' happened. She's got used to it now.
bless her!! funny how certain things set them going she is a real sweetie
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2013, 05:56 PM
hi Nicky, yeah I have a bottle of Berberana in the cupboard dying to be opened, lol. feel free to drop in any time.
thanks for your kind words, it's nice to know I'm on the right path and will defintely feed back when I've seen the lady on Weds. One thing she did say was that she would bring him a more suitable muzzle to put on in case he reacted if she had to "check him hard" - does this mean she is going to do something awful like the collar jerking etc? I do hope not I want him happy not scared. Maybe I am prejudging but I'd rather not start if it's that kind of training... will keep you posted.
Sorry but don't like the sound of that, it sounds very much like "collar jerking " to me..( aversion training) interrupting a behaviour with a negative reaction.....I.E ... Rattle bottle, jerk on the lead, e.collar...and so on, the dog gets a nasty action to his behaviour , it's supposed to make the dog associate his behaviour with a bad reaction, in truth all it does is back up the dogs unwanted behaviour with the aversion ....I. E ... The dog barks at another, you jerk the collar, spray it in the face, rattle a bottle, and the message the dog really gets is, I told you " that thing" was bad, because its just re-forced my fear.. By the bl**dly shock I just got.

Why does she want to muzzle him. Is she bringing stooge dogs with her.. Surely she is not going to let your boy get close enough to attack them, that's all he needs is to be flooded with dogs to re enforce his behaviour .

I think you need to clarify her methods before you let her near your boy.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »