View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't have a tail so it kind of negates a lot of body language!

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Anyone that coy about their methods has something to hide IMO. In this case I think it`s inexperience and no grounding in dog training.
She goes on at length about having trained her own dog...... well whoop de do. And wtf have Yellowstone Wolves got to do with teaching Fido recall?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Btw, this introduction she's invited you to - does it cost money to attend? I wouldn't expect to go to a restaurant and have to buy a menu before I could order what I wanted, or have to pay for a catalogue of hair styles before I discuss with my hairdresser what I wanted. I think an explanation of her methods is something that should be clearly visible on the website - because, afterall, you need to explain what you're selling to entice customers! If she can't do that then I would at least expect an explanation over email, not an invitation to a presentation that you have to get tickets for.
My local trainers do it exactly how I expect them to - websites are very clear, explain their methods and ethics, show what courses they offer, when, for how long (hours & duration of the course) and at what price. On further contact, they are both more than happy to explain things by email or over the phone, and both have happily met up with me face-to-face to discuss things without charging me a penny. One even invited Casper down for an assessment with one of her dogs to see if he was suitable for classes, and has given me loads of freebie advice over email for Kiki's separation issues. These are the kind of people I want to trust my dogs with, people who are helpful, not obsessed over money, and completely transparent about their methods.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I know she is/was a Dog Listener with Jan Fennell. She has most likely broken away as many have as she no longer features on Jan's website. So she is either teaching Amichien Bonding or a variant I imagine.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I know she is/was a Dog Listener with Jan Fennell. She has most likely broken away as many have as she no longer features on Jan's website. So she is either teaching Amichien Bonding or a variant I imagine.
So maybe she changed ranks because she didn't like some of her methods and decided to go it alone? As for her having Jan Fennell's link, that could well be solely because she wants her own link on JF's website, to attract people who might be interested in trying something a bit different?

I dunno, you can't condemn somebody until they've done something wrong, or just because they have certain connections with somebody else who you don't agree with imo. Hopefully the op might go along to one of these introductions (if they're free of course) and see what it's all about.

If the training is kind and it works, why knock it? Why does everything have to be done "this way" or "that way" in the dog world? Spoken from someone who's never read a dog training book in her life, but just like this woman has had plenty of experience in raising puppies, and horses come to that, for over 35 odd years, and done ok with it. I too would like to visit Yellowstone Park, I'd love to watch the wolves, it's all a good learning curve to watch and learn as they say. You can't gain respect until you've earned it, so hopefully, one day, this lady might just do that.

I'm going to e-mail this woman now and ask her what those qualifications are, just for the hell of it!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Because "kind" is subjective. She may not use physical methods but if she uses the Jan Fennell method of withdrawing all interaction, I don't think it's a very kind method. It may not hurt the dog, physically, but the withdrawel of affection, communication and so on must have an impact. Some of the other methods, again - not things that actually hurt the dog physically but will stopping walks benefit every dog? And I say that as someone who will skip walks here and there with Casper's reactivity, but JF uses it in an entirely different way which I think is unnecessary and potentially more upsetting for the dog than, say, changing your walking route or activities.

The website says these introduction dates cost £20, seems crazy that it costs money just to find out what methods she uses - and that's £20 per person, presumably it's a group event.

Like you say, maybe she broke away from JF - I've heard from another 'qualified' trainer who said it's very much JF's way or the highway, but the vagueness even with a potential customer emailing you for more information suggests there's something to hide - be it methods that are controversial, a lack of knowledge as someone else said, or the desire to get her £20 fee before she relinquishes that info!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So maybe she changed ranks because she didn't like some of her methods and decided to go it alone? As for her having Jan Fennell's link, that could well be solely because she wants her own link on JF's website, to attract people who might be interested in trying something a bit different?

I dunno, you can't condemn somebody until they've done something wrong, or just because they have certain connections with somebody else who you don't agree with imo. Hopefully the op might go along to one of these introductions (if they're free of course) and see what it's all about.

If the training is kind and it works, why knock it? Why does everything have to be done "this way" or "that way" in the dog world? Spoken from someone who's never read a dog training book in her life, but just like this woman has had plenty of experience in raising puppies, and horses come to that, for over 35 odd years, and done ok with it. I too would like to visit Yellowstone Park, I'd love to watch the wolves, it's all a good learning curve to watch and learn as they say. You can't gain respect until you've earned it, so hopefully, one day, this lady might just do that.

I'm going to e-mail this woman now and ask her what those qualifications are, just for the hell of it!
I do know what you mean H, but just the fact that this lady isn't transparent about her methods and training techniques on her website just makes me wonder a bit. I also agree there is absolutely nothing to lose to go along to one of the introductions, so long as it is free (I would bet it isn't though). If you do email her, please get her to join Dogsey and then she could perhaps explain to a larger audience how her methods work
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 04:36 PM
I am chanting as I read............
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Because a JF acolyte has ruined at least 2 dogs I know.
One with the advice to not walk the dog for 3 weeks.
The next wonderful advice was to ignore the dog for a fortnight.
Both were supposed to impress on the dog that the owner was Dominant.
Strangely, neither dogs` behaviour improved.
These people are dangerous.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Why is there so much mention of Jan Fennell with this woman, since she doesn't mention her methods on her website Lots of people have links on other websites, I myself do, it's purely to gain the attention of those people visiting that site who could well be interested in yours.

If she does still work with her, then I'm with all of you, I never liked her methods especially what you have mentioned Krlyr. I also agree £20 to gain access to more information about her is diabolical, if she's as good as she thinks she is, then introductions to her methods should be free. She could be shooting herself in the foot there too I think, i.e. a good word travels fast, and the more people that could attend these introductions the more her reputation would build, should it be a good or a bad one!

The BBC seem to like her, but then that doesn't hold much clout either does it.

Good idea Kirsty, she might like to join in on this discussion, and have her say, especially if she can dispel these JF theories. Haven't mailed her yet, been busy with life stuff, but I will.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »