Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Canine Communication

Just wondered if anybody had heard of this type of "training" - it does rely on the theory of the pack but seems very gentle, intuitive and effective. I am considering it as a follow-on to what we've already done.

He has completed a standard training course (not canine communication) where he behaved impeccably, sitting, downs and recall were all perfect almost as if he recognised that he had to behave in that environment but can still damn well do as he pleases elsewhere! I now take him to agility, which might be too stimulating for him as he whines from the moment we arrive to the moment we leave, unless he's being active.

Any observations gratefully received.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Can you give examples of those who deliver this "training", websites, books, dvds, qualifications, science behind it?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:19 AM
This is the website of the trainer that is running an introduction to the method in my area very soon. I am not sure about the science behind it, I personally think each dog is different and not one size fits all. I am obviously opposed to any kind of overly forceful or even violent training and this seems very gentle.

http://pamshaw.co.uk/

I emailed her and she emailed me back very quickly, suggesting I attend the introduction, which should give me a lot of answers, before I started thinking about consultations etc ..

I always thought I was good at understanding dogs but have to say this one has me completely baffled me so I think this might give me some perspective on him.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Can you give examples of those who deliver this "training", websites, books, dvds, qualifications, science behind it?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Seems pretty legit to me, and I really like the sound of her methods, plus she has completed the Foundation and Advanced courses (but in what I wonder?).

The only way you're going to find out is to attend that introduction and if you like what you see, then go ahead with it. It sounds rather good to me, all gentle, and there's nothing quite like getting into that dog's head rather than pulling, yelling, pushing around imo! Good luck and please let us know if you do go.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't think your problem is the training method but the environment. Your dog has learnt all these commands in one particular environment that would have lost its novelty. To expect him to be able to go to an agility class with more going on, more smells (which will vary every time if its outside), maybe dogs he hasn't met before, etc. and want him to behave the same way is a bit unrealistic. Dogs don't tend to generalise well so once you have a command down in one place, you need to practice it over and over in various situations. If he recalls perfectly in a quiet hall with you and a handful of on-lead dogs around, you need to practice this in a quiet park with no dogs around, then some on-lead dogs around, then one or two off-lead dogs around. With each variable (location, no dogs/on-lead dogs/offlead dogs, livestock or wild animals, etc) you need to teach the dog to follow the same commands. Obviously it will be quicker to refresh the dog after the initial teaching of the command so don't worry about starting from scratch in every place but do watch you don't push the dog too far too fast - so maybe go back to using a longline in areas with lots of distractions so you're not setting him up to fail.
The pamelamarxsen channel on Youtube has some good videos on training dogs to be calm around distractions though, which may help in addition to this
http://www.youtube.com/pamelamarxsen

Can't say much about this canine communication method because the website really doesn't give much away! That alone would have me wary though - when a trainer keeps their explanations vague and their methods secret it says one of two things to me - either they're not pleasant methods to explain bluntly (those who use shock collars, for example, will rarely actually admit that it shocks the dog but will focus on the results it brings without going into details of how it works), or that it's not anything that special - but if they admitted that they wouldn't get half as much custom as the owner would just implement the methods by themselves or use a cheaper trainer who does the same thing.
All I can really garner from the website is that she uses positive methods, and that she has a cute Husky. The case studies page isn't working for me, the courses page is just sales speil trying to book a 'presentation' without even telling you what they entail, and all of her blurb on the front page could apply to many positive-based training methods, even those that use "gadgets" or terms like "obedience training" (which seems to be a swearword to her)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Saying that - she mentions doing the courses in this method. Would this be the Jan Fennell "Canine Communication"? Jan Fennell is a bit of a controversial trainer, isn't she the one who recommends stopping walks, withholding interaction (no fuss, no eyecontact, nothing) and so on? Her website is blocked at work so can't doublecheck but I would be very reluctant to use a JF 'franchise' - some of the methods don't fit the "kind" description in my eyes and I have heard multiple people say that some physical methods are actually recommended which goes against what this trainer you've seen is suggesting

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=169742
http://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 08:45 AM
It would be interesting to know exactly what methods she uses to train dogs after reading this ...

"It deals with the dog by using its own language of subtle signals and gestures"

I am not wholly convinced, as the case study page won't work for me and the website doesn't go into any detail at all about how this lady trains you to train your dog.

If you do go along, please be sure to give us a run down on the methods used and how successful you find them.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2012, 09:24 AM
"This method is gadget free and without the use of any force at all. It deals with the dog by using its own language of subtle signals and gestures"

Certainly sounds interesting, however, is anybody else mentally picturing Paul Hogan and the Dobes in 'Crocodile Dundee' lol.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Personally I'd run a mile. Looked through the links on that site and Jan Fennel and Amichien Bonding are mentioned a lot along with dominance, pack leader etc.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »