Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It does if they could have done it another way---I'd be interested to know who it was and what the behaviour was.

rune
I'm not willing to divuldge either, the person in question has already been through forum hell for their admission. Im not willing to start that up again for them.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
I think I was very welcome on dogchat Not so here it seems. I think you have to be APDT to be welcomed by most on here. ?

Still, a good forum, with lots of users and some interesting views. Excellent.
didnt realise you didnt feel welcome

...mind u me thinks u give as good as u get lol
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
didnt realise you didnt feel welcome

...mind u me thinks u give as good as u get lol
Not to worry. I'm not here to be popular - Im here to help if I can and learn where I can.

mind u me thinks u give as good as u get lol It is not my intention to offend, or upset anyone. Never has been bever will be. Though I did once lose my temper with Adam on dogchat and I think I said some unkind and probably even unjustified things then.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Not to worry. I'm not here to be popular - Im here to help if I can and learn where I can.

mind u me thinks u give as good as u get lol It is not my intention to offend, or upset anyone. Never has been bever will be. Though I did once lose my temper with Adam on dogchat and I think I said some unkind and probably even unjustified things then.
nor mine but just cos peeps do not agree on everything doesnt mean we cant make friends too..its not just about education for me

re adam.. only once booo lol

sorry for going o/t
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
nor mine but just cos peeps do not agree on everything doesnt mean we cant make friends too..its not just about education for me

re adam.. only once booo lol

sorry for going o/t
Actually I think Adam, has some great logic in his approach. I also have for the most part, respect for the way he conducts himself, on forums, despite a lot of errrmmmm, despite what happens to him on forums. I certainly dont agree with all of his approaches and I think he makes a lot of things up sometimes. But hey. Hes human! Presumably.

I have already made some friends . And thank you for your apology. Accepted, Mine offered where i have upset or offended too.

I am glad in many ways, that I have joined this forum. Debate always makes me consider my own stand and question it, which is a good thing, for only in that way will I improve or rectify it if it is wrong. If I still believe a view I have is correct, despite questioning, then it will strengthen my own view, post reconsideration, which is also a good thing. Its a win win thing debate, as long as you dont make a tw+t of yourself along the way. And even then, its good if you learn from it. As hopefully I have.
So, thank you everyone. Denise x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not willing to divuldge either, the person in question has already been through forum hell for their admission. Im not willing to start that up again for them.
Someone who competes at HTM has been through forum hell??? It is a very small world and I find that hard to believe.

I don't think saying what the behaviour was would give anything away-----there are a limited number of life threatening behaviours.

Also a limited number of obedience/HTM rs who give workshops. I can only think of one who fits the bill and that forum hell was unrelated to e collars!

rune
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Someone who competes at HTM has been through forum hell??? It is a very small world and I find that hard to believe.

I don't think saying what the behaviour was would give anything away-----there are a limited number of life threatening behaviours.

rune
Sorry Rune. Its not gonna happen.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry Rune. Its not gonna happen.
Thats OK, sorted!

rune
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Mini gave a very good bit of info re. the David Ryan article on shock collars, and that is one argument as good as you will get anywhere.

Ryan lives in Cumbria and works with dogs who chase. Successfully He has worked with dogs with a strong predatory chase drive including (wait for it) a Malamute. (I recall it as a Malamute, or it have been a sibe, but I recall it being the former). Dogs who are so driven that they try to break out of the houses to go and chase something.

He does not use shock collars, and neither does Angela Stockdale, who uses different methods to Ryan but still does not approve of them.

I don't see there is any reason for using them - certainly not for everyday training nor advanced training.
Behaviour problems? No, not for those either.

At the end of the day, you can use the collar on very low levels but why would one want to? Dogs can also be either sensitised or desensitised to a shock collar.

Me and my car door - yowee it hurts, and it hurts more each time until I will do anything to avoid it -yet it's not a very high level of "shock".

You can drip water - drip, drip, drip - in itself it's not harmful or painful, but keep doing it and it's torture, literally!

If you have an older dog who does not pay attention, do you feel you have enough knowledge to train him so that he does? IF for example it's when sniffing a hedge, that is one thing, and if it's when sighting another dog, that may be due to entirely different reasons

If the problem is due to the dog being a bit kind of, strong minded, then you can go over to the dog and "insist" he comes to you or whatever, but you do have to check your own traing methods, ensure you are totally consistent etc. Unlike somene I know who called her dog, then put he rhead down - the dog looked at her, ready to recall, but saw her head was down and did not go back. Dog got told off even though it was his owner's fault. We always have to check ourselves

To be honest, unless Rocky is being a danger I'd see it as part of his character and not be frustrated by it, it depends on situation etc.

Wys
x

PS excuse spelling, my hands are very cold!!
My OP isn't specifically about me and Locky - it's more general than that, though my thoughts/feelings (as contradictory as they may seem) are as a result of my experience with him.

It's not about whether or not I should personally use an e-collar, but whether or not their use can be justified - I don't think there's an argument over whether or not they can effective - but is their use justified.

I don't see there is any reason for using them
but is there a valid reason why they should never be used? I don't consider "an electric shock is an electric shock and causes pain" as a valid argument (I'm not quoting anyone in particular there - hypothetical case). BenMcF put it well with "the senses are are so focused that the shock needs to be so large.."

Now while I accept that, lean towards it a little maybe, I'm not convinced beyond all doubt - as she also says, "did you ever wave your hand in front of someones face when they were focused on something else?" And so if it is possible to gain someones attention by waving a hand in front of their face, then it might be possible to gain a dogs attention with a small enough electric shock that it need not be painful.

But since Locky has come up in this
do you feel you have enough knowledge to train him so that he does?
Well I'm always open to learn more, and I doubt I'll ever know everything, but to answer the question - I've spoken to you previously by pm about the behavioural consultation I had with him - so we're on the right track there. I'm aware of the train of thought behind +R, but equally, I'm not convinced that the solution to all iappropriate behaviour simplifies to figuring out the right behaviour that is rewarding enough (e.g. Lotsadogs sheepdog). As for building a bond so that the dog want's to be with the owner (so that Locky wants to be with me) -what do you think? Now if only he'd do that all the time !

........unless Rocky is being........
Is that some kind of Freudian slip?

It's Locky with an L not an R.

I do not have, nor have I ever had, or do I see myself ever having a dog called Rocky, Rambo or Sly. Arnie or Tyson or anything similar. My dog is not an ego extension !

Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8