Our sister sites
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by bustgan View Post
Thanks guys.

I have EXCELLENT news.

We have already found George a home with a couple who own 2 other rottweilers and have done for years.

The only kids they have are 18 & 19 years old.

He will be looked after well in a nice home and be properly trained.

I'm so happy!!

*I have had George for 24hours now and it is clear he is just a pup as the majority of you have said. He is not a dangerous dog at all*

Hurray for George!!

Thats great news - George now has a chance at enjoying life
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Yayyyyyyy so pleased for everyone......and of course George xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Really pleased for George

My rescue boy Zymi came to me at 6 months because he had bitten the child in his previous home. When questioned it turned out that the child had been eating a biscuit dropped it and child and Zymi got to biscuit at the same time.

He came to me as a temporary foster and 7 years later is still here my friends grandchildren visit but they are always well supervised. Zymi likes nothing better than to have his tummy rubbed by them so it isn't automatic that a dog will repeat a behaviour
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I met George yesterday and he seems a typical pup,Very bouncy,happy and enhusiastic,no problems with people or other dogs.It is very clear he is still just a baby himself.From the brief time i spent with him i think it may boil down to the fact he was put in a situation that he shouldn't have been in in the first place.Seems like there may not have been enough rules and boundaries at home although i realise its hard to gauge when you're not actually there at the time the incident occured.
Really pleased the OP has found him a nice home it would have been a shame to have him pts.
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2010, 02:17 PM
yay really pleased!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Excellent News!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Oh, so happy to see this! sooooo pleased for George!
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by bustgan View Post

*I have had George for 24hours now and it is clear he is just a pup as the majority of you have said. He is not a dangerous dog at all*
You tell that to the Child be bit on the FACE!. Most dangerous dogs and dogs who attack without triggers look like perfectly happy friendly dogs the majority of the time. A dog who is going to nip as a warning does not go for the face. A dog who goes for the face is out to do serious damage not just to warn someone. All that has happened is this problem has been passed to someone else which is just irresponsible IMO. Just becasue this dog is going to a home with children does not remove the problem that this dog has bitten and in liklihood will bite again.

This thread shows why ridiculous bits of legislation like the DDA were brought in. Too many dog owners and breeders refuse to take responsibility for their dogs. If their dogs do something wrong it's all touchy/feelly and of course the dogs can't do anything wrong 'something must have triggered them'

The general public all they see is Daily Mail Headlines of the minority of Dog attacks. It makes them fearful of dogs. When they then hear stories of dog owners trying to justify attacks by stating it's not the dogs fault etc. It just reinforces the idea that legislation is the way to go as the owners/breedere are refusing to take responsibility.

As I said earlier any dog attack endangers all dogs and owners as it reinforces in the publics mind the need for legislation to control what they see as the problem of dangerous dogs and Dog lovers refusal to take responsibility.

Dog owners and breeders need to take responsibility for their dogs. Too many people don't. They lack training or they make excuses for the bad behaviour. If my dog attacked a child I would have no qualms to PTS. I would be devastated but I would do the correct thing as Children come before dogs and I would not pass the responsibility or risk onto anyone else.

Too many Dog Owners/breeders live in their own bubble of nothing is the dog/owners/breeders fault and anything can be trained out. I personally believe people need to join the real world and realise what damage attitudes like things do to all Dogs and Owners in the eyes of the non Dog Owning general public.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
You tell that to the Child be bit on the FACE!. Most dangerous dogs and dogs who attack without triggers look like perfectly happy friendly dogs the majority of the time. A dog who is going to nip as a warning does not go for the face. A dog who goes for the face is out to do serious damage not just to warn someone. All that has happened is this problem has been passed to someone else which is just irresponsible IMO. Just becasue this dog is going to a home with children does not remove the problem that this dog has bitten and in liklihood will bite again.
This is a child (i.e. small person!) that's sat on the floor next to a dog - the child's face is unfortunately going to be the nearest thing to the dog's mouth in that position, especially as the child had dropped a toy and was reaching over towards the dog. The dog was eating, it probably did what lots of food-possessive dogs with high value treats do, it growls and then turns and nips at the nearest thing. In this unfortunate case it seems it was the child's face.
If this dog was truly aggressive and had mauled the child's face with intent to cause as much damage as it could (which it certainly doesn't sound like as the dog didn't even move to bite the child, according to the parent's description of what happened), do you really think the parents of the child would be happy to pass the dog back to the breeder to be rehomed? I think they would probably have marched the dog straight to the vets to be PTS. It seems that they've been willing to explain what happened and presumably were happy that it wasn't a truly vicious dog, just unfortunate circumstances, and have let the dog be rehomed.
I'm sure the new owners will take caution with a dog with a "bite history" of any sort, especially as they have experience with Rotties already, but I don't think a dog should be branded as truly aggressive for what seems like an obvious case of food-related possessiveness and a genuine accident/lack of observation from the parents.

If most dangerous dogs look like happy, friendly dogs the majority of the time then surely by that theory, no rescue should ever home a dog to a family with children? If a happy, friendly dog can be a potential ticking timebomb then are all rescues being irresponsible for homing a dog to a house with children? How would a rescue know that any hand-in hadn't had an "incident" previous that they weren't told about?
Dogs are living things and we need to accept that they're not perfect robots, there may be times when they act unpredictably - when in pain, when instinct takes over for a few fleeting seconds, there are all sorts of reasons why a "happy, friendly dog" could nip, so everyone should use some common sense when it comes to dogs and not do things like, in this case, leave a child sat playing next to a dog with a high value treat.

I would say it's attitudes like yours that are causing far more damage to the "public opinion" - why make a dog that you've never even seen out to be some vicious, child eating monster that should be euthanised immediately when it's fairly obvious to anyone with a small amount of doggy knowledge and common sense that it was a case of the child being left in a bad situation, and a dog exhibiting some undesirable, but not totally untypical, behaviour of being guardy around food. This dog needs boundaries, caution, and owners with some dog savvy and sense who won't put it in this type of situation, not euthanasia and over-the-top statements from people who've never even met it on how dangerous it is.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post

This thread shows why ridiculous bits of legislation like the DDA were brought in. Too many dog owners and breeders refuse to take responsibility for their dogs. If their dogs do something wrong it's all touchy/feelly and of course the dogs can't do anything wrong 'something must have triggered them'

The general public all they see is Daily Mail Headlines of the minority of Dog attacks. It makes them fearful of dogs. When they then hear stories of dog owners trying to justify attacks by stating it's not the dogs fault etc. It just reinforces the idea that legislation is the way to go as the owners/breedere are refusing to take responsibility.

As I said earlier any dog attack endangers all dogs and owners as it reinforces in the publics mind the need for legislation to control what they see as the problem of dangerous dogs and Dog lovers refusal to take responsibility.

Dog owners and breeders need to take responsibility for their dogs. Too many people don't. They lack training or they make excuses for the bad behaviour. If my dog attacked a child I would have no qualms to PTS. I would be devastated but I would do the correct thing as Children come before dogs and I would not pass the responsibility or risk onto anyone else.

Too many Dog Owners/breeders live in their own bubble of nothing is the dog/owners/breeders fault and anything can be trained out. I personally believe people need to join the real world and realise what damage attitudes like things do to all Dogs and Owners in the eyes of the non Dog Owning general public.
I had a JRT years back that bit a childs face.....I know it was a reaction as the dog was fast sleep and the child put his face on the dog.....it just happened to be the nearest thing as the dog reacted.
Fortunately the childs mother saw everything and our JRT wasn't put to sleep....now she was 6 when she did that, we had her til she was 18, and that never presented itself again.
So I don't think we can say 100% that a dog biting a child face is a dog just waiting to be dangerous.....we don't really know the full story as we weren't there, but if the child is small...face to face level it is possible that it was more a reaction thing to whatever happened, just as it was with my late JRT
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >