Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I was under the impression (one of) the reason(s) that dominance/alph roll was being rejected was due to it being based on a study of captive wolves.

So is it a case of dominance being rejected due to the wolves being captive and AB being rejected as the wolves were wild?
I wouldn't roll my dogs as I reckon they know I am human and they are dogs.

However I have on occasion seen my dogs roll others of mine---and it is NOT always the more submissive one rolling , it has been that they have been rolled. I did have a great video clip of it happening but on old film rather than dvd or digital.

My dogs have a heirachy, fluid I think for the bitches more than for the dogs. Dogs seem pretty static in position.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Possibly less important when food is plentiful.

My bottom ranking dogs hang back when I chuck a load of marrow bones down, they approach them differently as well, more creeping and grabbing rather than choosing which they want. The top one chooses.

rune
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I wouldn't roll my dogs as I reckon they know I am human and they are dogs.

However I have on occasion seen my dogs roll others of mine---and it is NOT always the more submissive one rolling , it has been that they have been rolled. I did have a great video clip of it happening but on old film rather than dvd or digital.

My dogs have a heirachy, fluid I think for the bitches more than for the dogs. Dogs seem pretty static in position.

rune
I do apologise - I meant role.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
The presumptions and pomposity of some humans never ceases to amaze me .
Why on earth would I want to change myself after 61 years of living or to 'transform' my dogs.

I wonder why some people have dogs at all, is it so they can impose their will on them and turn them into submissive little robot dogs.

I say as long as my dogs don't cause a problem to other people and their dogs they are fine by me, I like to let their individual personalities shine through. They can be themselves without having my will imposed on them. They may not be perfect but who cares, they are happy and so am I and that is all that matters.

With regard to feeding and AB, I feed puppies at frequent regular intervals , nothing to do with my 'feeding' time. As they mature I feed them and take them out before I settle down with my supper and a glass of wine, while I eat they contentedly snooze in their bed, no begging or frustration caused by hunger and I don't think for one moment they feel they are in control of me because of this.

Time for a little more common sense and a little less AB I think!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I wonder why some people have dogs at all, is it so they can impose their will on them and turn them into submissive little robot dogs.
I've always thought that some people get dogs because they cannot control other human beings, so they get something small and furry to control.

The only creatures on this planet that are really obsessed with dominance, I think, are human beings. We're just sick with it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I do apologise - I meant role.
"Rôle" would be out of context... so I am wondering what you did mean...? ô
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I've always thought that some people get dogs because they cannot control other human beings, so they get something small and furry to control.

The only creatures on this planet that are really obsessed with dominance, I think, are human beings. We're just sick with it.
Absolutely I don't give a tinkers cuss about 'dominance' and 'alpha' and never have, some people have made a fortune out of making others believe these things exists .

My dogs are dogs and they know it. I am human, a provider of food and comfort and my dogs and I have a mutual respect for each other warts and all and live together in harmony.
They have no desire to dominate me or the rest of the world, why would they, they are well provided for and content.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
"Rôle" would be out of context... so I am wondering what you did mean...? ô
I think it was about control, and being macho. It always seems to be, in these debates.
Wouldn`t it be nice if once, just once, someone came on and said they trained with play, and fun, and enjoyment and went on about how dogs are great, and they have a lot to teach us, because they know all there is to know about being a dog.
And how the best thing about having a dog is that dogs like you as you are, so being all Supreme Leaderish and stalking about eating crackers is batty.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Absolutely I don't give a tinkers cuss about 'dominance' and 'alpha' and never have, some people have made a fortune out of making others believe these things exists .

My dogs are dogs and they know it. I am human, a provider of food and comfort and my dogs and I have a mutual respect for each other warts and all and live together in harmony.
They have no desire to dominate me or the rest of the world, why would they, they are well provided for and content.
Tried to reppie you and it wouldnt let me.
Someone lent me the book when I was having trouble with Spence.
What a load of old tosh, firstly Spence was the worse eater I've ever had if I sat eating a cracker he'd think I was crackers and walk off.
Secondly Spence hates walks he's scared of everything he actually pulls back home so again a waste of time.
Also Ms Fennell had a welsh a few years back and the least said about that the better !!!!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think it was about control, and being macho. It always seems to be, in these debates.
Wouldn`t it be nice if once, just once, someone came on and said they trained with play, and fun, and enjoyment and went on about how dogs are great, and they have a lot to teach us, because they know all there is to know about being a dog.
And how the best thing about having a dog is that dogs like you as you are, so being all Supreme Leaderish and stalking about eating crackers is batty.
Thank you
I too would love to see something like that.

Alpha Roll and alpha rôle may well be interchangeable, as you say. Interesting how a typo, mis-definition or mis-spelling could mean so much, yet so little in the grander scheme of things.

And....as you say, the best thing about having a dog really is that dogs like you as you are, and I know that being all Supreme Leaderish and stalking about eating crackers honestly is batty.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >