Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
sounds like a good plan to me!

What happens if she runs to the end of the longline? I'm guessing you need to hold onto it?

Just time your tug BEFORE they get there, or let go & try again later. Just read the dog, at the start id let the dog run for abit, get the cobwebs away before using it, if its likely to want to charge off.

Lol!

To add....

In regards to the special toy.

a. if its a toy with a sweetie in, if they chew the sweetie out, thats ok, it will build up the want for the toy either way. You can also clicker the play with the toy, or use a bally on a rope.

b. with a GSD id have a walk toy & the dog carries the toy on the walk, to build up the desire for the toy. Give the toy a name. Wheres ........"toytoy", "here itis , whip it around abit play with it yourself "go on get it then" "yey you got it, fantastic" " what you got?toytoy" try to grab it but fail "ohhhh you got toytoy?"
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post

If you ever get the When Pigs Fly book there's a chapter their that describes how to transfer a 'hot' activity (Something the dog loves) to a 'cold' activity (something the dog has no interest in). So in rough terms, your dog likes treats and likes to chase. You incorporate fetching a ball (for example in the way we did). Over time the dog learns to enjoy fetching the ball in it's own right. He gets every bit excited about that as he does chasing and eating treats. There might well be something in the book to help you splice the 'dog chasing' obsession onto something more manageable.
I have that book and I'll get it out again.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
ok you can utililze the line better than that, when you go out leave it on at all times for the next few months. Now you need to "load" it as such (same as you do with a clicker) & of course you do this at first so she can succeed each time. So you clip off lead some where quiet , as you walk along giver her a tug on the line & as she looks at you,"name, Come praise, sweetie" So its "tug,look,name praise ,sweetie" the tug is Always first, this should work well if you keep on working on your name response, Now do this when there are no distractions, youve got to put the work in where she can succeed,

Think about her reward when she gets to you, sweetie then what? does she like abit of Physical, rubbing her all over, slapping her bum etc, in a playing way!!!!

Ok so dogs are around, you try to already have her off lead but still on line, youve already done say 10 reps of the line on this walk, let her play, when you are ready move in & pick up line when its safe to do so "tug,look,name praise ,sweetie" if she dosent come reel her in .

Dont let her "go Wrong"

Then when this is going really well by this i mean, Tug & she turns on a sixpence, Start to put her name in as you tug, again practise alot of reps in a calm area. Once this is going 100% well, put the name in first backed up with tug, going well 100% of the time??? few months on?? let her off!!!!
Great I'll try that. She likes to be pushed away and to play tuggy with the line or the lead.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I understand what you are saying but it is more difficult to put into practice. I do try to vary where we walk but short of getting in the car and driving somewhere we are a bit limited as to where we can walk and I prefer to let her play with dogs we know so that I know the owners won't go wandering off with my dog in tow. Also not everyone likes to let their dog play with a big shepherd. Having said that I allowed her to go to a dog yesterday and the owner pulled it close and she came back when I called It was boring because it wasn't running.
She recognises her 'friends' from a long way away so it would take a long time to get to them on lead so I tend to sit her and make her wait and then let her go. Perhaps this is my big mistake.
She will leave in the house but not outside off lead. She once found a newly dead rabbit and wouldn't come back until she had eaten it. In the house she will sit with a biscuit on her paw until allowed to eat but I haven't managed one on the nose because she moves her head if I try it
She needs her leave reinforced in different places too then..start off with treats like you do in the house, then build it up to other more valuable things...I would also teach a good and reliabele 'drop' command.

It sounds like she goes deaf to you when you are out and about and there is other stuff going on? You need to make youself much more interesting and perhaps look to improving your bond with her? I am not saying you don't have a bond...but perhaps she doesn't view you as reward enough when out? In all honesty...perhaps you are trying too hard??!!!!

I am a little confused as to what you want...you let her offlead to play with local known dogs...but then she runs off to other new dogs if they appear and won't come back? I am wondering what you want her to do? Do you want to walk with other people and have your dogs play together (I don't do that you see so maybe I am coming at this from the wrong angle, when I walk I focus totally on the dogs, I may say a brief 'hello' but that's it ost of the time, unless we plan a walk with someone, but even then I am largely focused on whichever dog I have).It's just you want her to recall around those dogs and new dogs?

I think that will be really hard for you in all honesty and it will take a LOT of time and effort. Not wishing to put a downer on it all I think she associates her walks with playing with dogs...her walks have nothing to do with you. THAT is the thing you need to change and until you do that, you won't solve the problem. YOU have to be better than all the other dogs and until you are, she won't come back to you. In order to make yourself into the best thing in the park, you need to not walk with people for a while...you need to interact with her all the time, play/tickle/train....don't give her the chance to ignore you.

That all sounds a bit harsh but it isn't meant to be...it just sounds like you want her to play and you want to walk with the others, but you want her to come back...that whole scenario though could be the reason she is like this in the first place...and that's the thing that needs to be sorted. If you see what I mean.You may not be able to ever walk that way with her....certainly until you sort this out...you won't be able to sort this out and walk in that way as her expectations of the walk are not what you want.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Just time your tug BEFORE they get there, or let go & try again later. Just read the dog, at the start id let the dog run for abit, get the cobwebs away before using it, if its likely to want to charge off.

Lol!

To add....

In regards to the special toy.

a. if its a toy with a sweetie in, if they chew the sweetie out, thats ok, it will build up the want for the toy either way. You can also clicker the play with the toy, or use a bally on a rope.

b. with a GSD id have a walk toy & the dog carries the toy on the walk, to build up the desire for the toy. Give the toy a name. Wheres ........"toytoy", "here itis , whip it around abit play with it yourself "go on get it then" "yey you got it, fantastic" " what you got?toytoy" try to grab it but fail "ohhhh you got toytoy?"
Ahh...ta.
I aksed because I was wondering about Tango...but it won't work with her from what you said...
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:59 PM

Unfortunately she won't carry toys. I spent days with a clicker and a toy in the house and we got to the point where she would pick it up and turn round but not come close. When I tried to get her closer she lost interest and wouldn't pick it up at all. I think there is probably a way to start again but all my energy at the moment is going into the recall. It's starting to take over my life!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I am a little confused as to what you want...you let her offlead to play with local known dogs...but then she runs off to other new dogs if they appear and won't come back? I am wondering what you want her to do? Do you want to walk with other people and have your dogs play together (I don't do that you see so maybe I am coming at this from the wrong angle, when I walk I focus totally on the dogs, I may say a brief 'hello' but that's it ost of the time, unless we plan a walk with someone, but even then I am largely focused on whichever dog I have).It's just you want her to recall around those dogs and new dogs?

I think that will be really hard for you in all honesty and it will take a LOT of time and effort. Not wishing to put a downer on it all I think she associates her walks with playing with dogs...her walks have nothing to do with you. THAT is the thing you need to change and until you do that, you won't solve the problem. YOU have to be better than all the other dogs and until you are, she won't come back to you. In order to make yourself into the best thing in the park, you need to not walk with people for a while...you need to interact with her all the time, play/tickle/train....don't give her the chance to ignore you.
And this is why I am really confused. I have spent months keeping her away from other dogs and working on playing with her. And then I have been told that she is obsessed with dogs because she is not allowed to play and to find other dogs to walk with which is what I have done. TBH I really cannot see a way forward keeping her away from other dogs for the rest of her life and still having any pleasure on our walks. She would have to be on a line all the time.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Ahh...ta.
I aksed because I was wondering about Tango...but it won't work with her from what you said...
Different uses for different problems though!!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 10:09 PM
And this is why I am really confused. I have spent months keeping her away from other dogs and working on playing with her. And then I have been told that she is obsessed with dogs because she is not allowed to play and to find other dogs to walk with which is what I have done. TBH I really cannot see a way forward keeping her away from other dogs for the rest of her life and still having any pleasure on our walks.
Wanna come to cardiff for a holiday? Its so difficult to advise without seeing the dog & how good your timing is!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Wanna come to cardiff for a holiday? Its so difficult to advise without seeing the dog & how good your timing is!
If that's an offer I will certainly take you up on it once the weather forecast gets a bit better. I've already travelled all over the place for training.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 10:17 PM
If that's an offer I will certainly take you up on it once the weather forecast gets a bit better. I've already travelled all over the place for training.
Cool beans! Let me know!
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >