Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
Its not my experience with dogs. They seem to have very specific relationships to each other, jealousy, affection etc

As for the TV program! What you are talking about is minor differences, dependent on a lot of other factors and survival pressures. The French spend considerably more time with their families and children than the English; this does not however imply any form of evolutionary divergence. Different wolf packs behave differently depending on social pressures, availability of food, climate etc etc even though they are essentially the same species or subspecies.
Well it is my experience with dogs, even looking at other peoples, I think too much human reactions and responses are put onto dogs such as jealousy which is a human concept and does not apply to dogs.
It is the minor differences that set apart each community regardles of species. Dogs, genetically, are nigh on all the same but it is the switching on and off of specific genes that has resulted int he huge differences we see today. I would no more treat my dogs all the same as I would people, they are all individuals and need to be treated as such.
Becky
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Well it is my experience with dogs, even looking at other peoples, I think too much human reactions and responses are put onto dogs such as jealousy which is a human concept and does not apply to dogs.
It is the minor differences that set apart each community regardles of species. Dogs, genetically, are nigh on all the same but it is the switching on and off of specific genes that has resulted int he huge differences we see today. I would no more treat my dogs all the same as I would people, they are all individuals and need to be treated as such.
Becky
While I agree that people can be too anthropomorphic when dealing with their pets; especially in their interpretation of 'love' given by their favorite animal. I would dispute that jealousy is an exclusively human emotion.

You say they are all individuals but do you then deny them any form of emotion? I have a dog that will go for my other dog if he has previously seen me giving the other dog a lot of attention. How do you describe that action?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
You say they are all individuals but do you then deny them any form of emotion? I have a dog that will go for my other dog if he has previously seen me giving the other dog a lot of attention. How do you describe that action?
Of course I don't deny that they have emotions but looking at it as jealousy is not accurate. I would say that more accuately the behaviour you describe is a form of resource guarding.
Becky
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Of course I don't deny that they have emotions but looking at it as jealousy is not accurate. I would say that more accuately the behaviour you describe is a form of resource guarding.
Becky
That is interesting as an interpretation of the dictionary given definition of jealous can well be "resource guarding" so they are either very similar, parallel or identical emotions.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Becky
I am happy with jealousy as the emotion seems more complex than simple resource guarding. I have seen a wolf resource guard a human but it was a much simpler display towards the other animals.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
That is interesting as an interpretation of the dictionary given definition of jealous can well be "resource guarding" so they are either very similar, parallel or identical emotions.
yep,imo different name,same thing!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
In reality it dosent matter to the dog whether we thing we are Alpha, leader, boss, parent, guide, friend, provider, owner or mummy/daddy
Just so long as we give them a secure life, food, shelter, love and consistant fair training
Just been catching up with this thread, but wanted to say I completely agree with you Ben McF and I think I would like the above quote on a poster on my wall
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Just been catching up with this thread, but wanted to say I completely agree with you Ben McF and I think I would like the above quote on a poster on my wall
thanks and lol - Mibby I should go into posters
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2009, 06:23 PM
An interesting theory I read recently was that 'pack theory' was created in the early 1940's by the Nazi party. A study was carried out by a Nazi dog trainer who looked at wolves the way the party was structured. The Nazi's also held the Wolf in high esteme. They then equated it to their own dogs.
Interesting!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-10-2009, 11:27 AM
The Nazis also did a lot of research into aeronautics, including rockets and space flight.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >