View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all that, and I totally agree with you Wys, and you have said exactly what I have proposed about Dave coming and going a few times not just about when he arrives home. I think that could well be our problem, coz apart from him coming home at night, he never really ARRIVES at any other time if you know what I mean? Maybe I've hit it on the head here, it's the sheer excitement of the ONLY time he arrives? He needs to get out more like I do!!!!!

I think I've got it now, I'm absolutely sure it's because this is the only time Dave appears to her, once a night, whereas ME, I'm coming and going all the time, I leave her on her own for 30 mins here and there throughout the day, etc. etc. I'm always appearing at that back door aren't I?? This could be it!!!!

Another good point there Wys is about the toy. She has recently, ONLY recently, started to bring one to him or anyone else who arrives, bit like a lab would, she doesn't always do this, but she has done and he's got off lightly on those occasions and that's probably why I haven't persued it to the extent I should have done by now, now that it's getting totally out of hand I mean! Her main focus toy is her ball, so I will be armed with that this evening as well and just see if she prefers it to her daddy, but I doubt that very much! Yes, you're right, as Dave has said, we've been spoiled with her, she's very good on most occasions, and that's why something like this leaps out at me, but then again, it's always been something I just won't tolerate in these big dogs, not even in play. We've never been the type to "wind them up" and let them jump up at you in play, never! The only playing we do gets done on the ground, with toys, balls, no nipping, no biting either, we learned that lesson many years ago with our first dog!!!

I will report back after my walk then, when I've tried whichever plan I decide on.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Sorry I haven't been very clear. When I get on the floor it is not to play but to call her to me with a command and to say hello and stroke her.

Have you tried doing the same but standing up??
Then crouching down??

But I will bear in mind what you say about sitting her to the side. Only trouble is when we meet strangers they are not particulary dog savvy and launch right in.

I remember on your last post you said she was sitting too far away and that you were concerned people wouldnt want to fuss her?
Is this part of the reason they are now launching straight in?

The sitting nearer at the side might solve that, othrwise you will have to train the people harder!
It takes a lot of determination to get them to wait for her to sit and somehow I suspect she will want eye contact.
If they cant wait, they cant fuss!!
Its good to hear she isnt worried about the direct approach

However, I can certainly try it with visitors to the house as they mostly friends and family.
My last couple posts gave some tips for that situation

ETA I also thought if I put the jumping up on command that might help.
Also a great idea. We have done this with all our girls, all big girls as well.
We stand side on, bend our arm out at the elbow, and get them to jump on that, instead of our chests.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Well I got a result tonight!!!

Dave was already home eating his dinner when I arrived back with the dogs. So I dragged him out into the bootroom, made him stand there whilst I brought Zena in on her harness with lead attached. She dragged me into the room when she saw him, and started, so I asked for a sit, and the only time she listened was when I had to SHOUT her name first, then she sat, so she quickly got a treat from me and Dave immediately bent down to fuss her. Off she went on one again, and I got a sit out of her, restrained that sit by getting serious scratches on my lower arm, but I got it, then all went calm, Dave could actually stroke her gently, and so did I, she kissed ME profusely , was actually more interested in ME than him for some very strange reason, I let her offlead, she wandered over to get a drink, then went charging into the other room to leap onto Dave eating his dinner, so I ran after her, called her name, got her attention, asked for a sit, got one right by the side of his chair, so I got on the floor and stroked her and told her what a GOOD girl she was, so she then went upside down, and went like a thing possessed again, but this time upside down!!! I think that's how I got all my arms scratched with those legs!!! I did the shh, shh, bit whilst I stroked her and after a few seconds she calmed right down, picked up her kong and was happy to lay down on her rug! Phew! This is NOT easy folks!

I have asked Dave that when he comes out from having his shower tonight, he is to MAKE her sit before even thinks about petting her, and I'll be there to supervise it! It's got to be done every single time he disappears out of the room for more than 5 minutes, and I will TRY and get Dave to realise this. I think he does now after tonight, I told him we can't have this getting out of hand which it has I think.

Anyways, on a good note for Zena on our walk tonight, Georgie took off halfway up a track, right across a field to get to some rabbits, swiftly followed by Zena, but I had my thinking hat on tonight and instead of calling HIM, I called her, she stopped dead in her tracks as soon as I called from quite a way away, turned around and came hurfing back to me and that was following her very best pal Georgie who she lives with not another dog, so she's got my vote tonight! Georgie stayed onlead for the rest of the walk whilst Zena could stay off hers!

All ended positive tonight then
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, not read through everything that's been posted but have you taught a command for jumping up?

I do allow my lot to jump up for a fuss but only on command (saves me bending down to them ), that along with ignoring them when they did it when it wasn't wanted has had the desired effect here.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 06:40 PM
No I haven't! She's only 20 weeks old and at the moment I really don't want to teach her anything like that quite honestly. When she's older, I don't mind them jumping up on a command, or on the odd occasion when they want to when they would instantly get back down when I ask, but when it's a puppy, imo, this can turn into worse, and that's why I wanted to get her totally OUT of this jumping up business from the very start, coz it already has got out of hand, because hands up, I didn't persue it enough when it all started. Thanks though, I'll make that decision when she's a year or so old, I'll decide whether I want her to jump up for a fuss or not, but I haven't decided that yet! Lol!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
i still would make her "down" rather than a "sit" a sit is a very "upward" position & easy to direct this energy upwwards & into a jump which you dont want, whereas a down all the dogs energy is downward.

I think a down is alot clearer to a dog & easier to teach.

JMO
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
very good point mishflynn
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanku! i said it on page one but everyone ignored me!!!!!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi,

This is just a thought but when Zane was little (ish) he was a compelte nightmare for jumping up my OH an dparticularly my Mom.

We solved the problem by firstly taking Zane out for a walk and arriving home outside the house when my OH turned up. So Zane would get to greet my OH as though he was just som,eone else out in the street and he's never jumped out when out on a walk. This way, my OH, myself and Zane could all enter the house without anybody getting a faceful of dog.

Both my OH and Zane went about what they'd normally be doing in th house as though the silly first 5 minutes that almost al dogs have just didn't exist.

I'm now doing this with Yiannis but it's taking longer with him. Ellie doesn't jump up at all as Zanealways pushed her out of the way.

Is it at all possible for Zena to learn some good habits from Georgie? For example, if you want Zena to do something but don't think she will at first, get Georgie to do it. When she sees he gets rewarded for good behaviour she'll copy him.

Laura xx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks for all that, and I totally agree with you Wys, and you have said exactly what I have proposed about Dave coming and going a few times not just about when he arrives home. I think that could well be our problem, coz apart from him coming home at night, he never really ARRIVES at any other time if you know what I mean? Maybe I've hit it on the head here, it's the sheer excitement of the ONLY time he arrives? He needs to get out more like I do!!!!!
Hehe sounds like it Helen

I think I've got it now, I'm absolutely sure it's because this is the only time Dave appears to her, once a night, whereas ME, I'm coming and going all the time, I leave her on her own for 30 mins here and there throughout the day, etc. etc. I'm always appearing at that back door aren't I?? This could be it!!!!
Agree, I think it is a big part of it

Another good point there Wys is about the toy. She has recently, ONLY recently, started to bring one to him or anyone else who arrives, bit like a lab would, ...
That's exactly what my girl does - she brings the toy and he often throws it for her or has a quick game. It's good because often their mind is on "what will happen with daddy - a game or a chase" not quite so much "when daddy comes I will mug him as I loooove him sooo much" Being a bit anthropomorphic there but still!

Wys
x
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >