View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
krusewalker- He is very obedient in his sits and stays etc- he only started this behaviour last month.
Since I have been doing the knee thing it is almost stopped- Im not looking for another way to deal with it as Im doing just fine thanks

Eta. Thanks for your imput- didnt mean for above to sound ungrateful.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks Pidge, I could tell Dave to go straight to his room (lol!) when he gets home, but then again, that's what he does, to put his bag in there, she follows him leaping up at his back........

It was all so easy before, I would fold my arms, turn around and face the other way, and the look on my dog's (puppy's) faces was a picture, and it just cured it! This is different though, this is out of order, just like your Woody was back then I remember that post so very well coz at the time we were having this problem.

I told Dave, I always get on the floor with Zena when I come downstairs in the morning or when she's in excited mode when I've just walked in, she lays upside down usually, so she gets belly strokes, she's doing what I want, she's not jumping up at me, so I stand up and continue to stroke her, say hello, and then carry on with whatever, she just follows me, mum is not as exciting as daddy, she's the one who lays down those rules, daddy is a complete walkover, remember the chair incident yesterday morning where she was well taking the micky out of him?! Lol!

I will have PLan X in action tonight (yes, I'm that far down my list now! Lol!). Firstly, she will have had a good 20 min walk and I will arrive home probably at the same time as o/h. I will make her sit, keep her sitting there, either with her ball or a treat in my hand, but she's not getting it until she learns that she has to stay sitting, but I'll let Dave walk straight past me and ignore her maybe??? Is that a good idea??? No, it won't be will it coz she'll be sitting and behaving, so maybe, I'll ask him to give her a fuss and IF she jumps up, then I'll keep a hold of her, she's NOT going to see him until he's gone indoors and she can greet him properly! I know this sounds really harsh for a little puppy but I have to stop it NOW, she's getting BIG and I want to know WHY she puts those talons out when she jumps up at him too? Anybody know that answer then???

p.s. I've just checked on her out in the garden, and bless her heart, she's just lying in the shade with her new (now empty!) kong I gave her half an hour ago, she's not eating my turf, she's not chewing up old branches, she's not digging around my trees..... butter wouldn't melt...... lull before the storm more like!!!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
OK, two things:

1. she is sensing you and Dave and your apprehension about his return and how she'll be so it has already become exciting to her even before he's through the door.

2. He needs to shut her out of the room the minute she jumps up, even if it means walking abit with her on his back and (gently) pushing her away. when the door is shut and separating them she will not like it. I honestly think it's worth a go, it works with Woody and if it worked with him anything is possible!! ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
p.s. sorry about my grammar in this thread, am typing fast to try and help Helena as I know it's nearly hometime!! ;o)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Tala used to jump up at me and I cured that by ignoring her until she had quietened down and then getting on the floor and calling her to me. She never jumps up at me now unless asked (in play).

But I still have huge problems with people outside. Yes she will sit if asked but as soon as they bend over to stroke her she jumps again. Or people lose interest in stroking her because when she sits she is that bit further away. Either way it is difficult for her to be rewarded with a stroke when she is sitting. So her interactions with people she doesn't know are either as a result of jumping up or non-existent.

She also jumps on visitors to the house.

I can't really ask strangers to lift a knee so am interested to see if anyone has another way.

The dogs I had before didn't jump up. Tala likes to lick faces and I think this is why she jumps up.
What might be happening is you are getting her to sit, which calms her down, and then getting her excited again by letting the people bend back over her again to give her a fuss. Especially if the people will now be coo coing her in higher tones the way people usually do in thse situations

Also, you may have inadvertently taught this behaviour yourself?
Firstly, when you have calmed her down, you then get on the floor and play. She may think this is what they people are doing as they are bending over??? Possibly.
Secondly, you have still been teaching her to jump up in play, so she may be confused?

If she is sitting too far away for a stroke, teach her a sit close to people without them bending over.
The best way would be to teach a sit at the side of people.
From this position:
a) the people cannot bend over her inititiating some sort of accidental trigger
b) dog and people will be closer for fussing
c) this is less intimidating for dog than sitting close up with direct eye contact (your dog may also be jumping up as some sort of tension release)
d) in time, this side on sit means the person could crouch down to the side of your dog and quietely fuss her without triggering excitement or worry.

Re:
I can't really ask strangers to lift a knee so am interested to see if anyone has another way.
, see my last couple of posts.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
To add on to Kruse, we used to use excited voices when praising Woody but soon realised that this got him even more hyper, so now we say very low but happy praise. Difficult to demonstrate online, using words that automatically sound enthusiastic such as "VERY" good boy and "Yes, well done". This meant he knew he'd been good but was remaining calm.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
krusewalker- He is very obedient in his sits and stays etc- he only started this behaviour last month.
Since I have been doing the knee thing it is almost stopped- Im not looking for another way to deal with it as Im doing just fine thanks

Eta. Thanks for your imput- didnt mean for above to sound ungrateful.
fair play to you.

no offence taken
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
....she is 20 weeks old and we have been trying (believe it or not!) for 10 weeks to stop her, but the bigger she's getting the worse she's getting with HIM and him alone! Anybody else, I can get an instant sit, with me I can get an instant "sit",
I think she's actually really good from what you post about her, especially as she's actually pretty young yet .

When I see husband's car pulling up on the drive I have once said "daddy's home" to which she went absolutely ballistic, just like she does when he walks into the bootroom, when of course I've already told her "daddy's home" from the kitchen when I've opened that door, same scenario. I've tried NOT telling her he's come home, he's tried coming in very quietly and sedately, same scenario.
What should help is if you show her what gets best attention ie, if he practices coming in (not starting with when he's coming home after the day at work but starting during the day if you can, weekend maybe, and get him to do it many times ... )

I've had her sitting in the bootroom with a bundle of treats (high grade treats!) in my hand and as he's walked through the door, I've spun him around to MAKE him turn his back on her, same scenario. ...
You're training hubby as well as your girl - that's not so easy
My reasoning is that it is actually "blocking" her from gaining acess to the front of his body? Obviously I didn't mean to bring it up on her approach and knee her in the bl**dy chest did I, even if the gas fitter meant for me to do that!
If that's what you meant it really wasn't clear, but it's hard sometimes to get the right end of the stick via the net...it did read as if you were going to knee her as she jumped up (which is an old method of dog training that many including the police, used to use, and some dodgy ones still do). However I'm very sorry if I read it wrong, no offence was meant.

...The trouble I have is, poor Dave if he just stood there with his back to her and ignored her, his back would still end up in shreds,
You can't ignore this, she's too big I presume, and the one time you can't ignore a dog is if the behaviour is self rewarding, which in this instance it is, for her .
and even when he tries to walk away she continues to follow him leaping up at him and he's got his BACK to her? The only way is to let my o/h walk away with me holding her in a sit with the lead and harness, coz there's no way in this World she would stay in that sit and let him walk away from her when he's only just come home, no way!
If you play a lot with her using toys, she may come to really enjoy taking a toy to her daddy which was another thing i did with my dog and she now at the age of 8 still says a brief Hi and then races to find her toy and show it to daddy each day when he comes home

Tonight I will try the harness and lead again, MAKE her stay on the floor, MAKE my o/h totally ignore her and when she's calmed down enough, I'll let him approach her with a treat to give her AFTER she's stayed down and he's made a fuss of her then?
I think I'd maybe try another approach - with this one she's being "made" to stay down but isn't perhaps learning anything for herself, such as self control etc...

Failing that, I will have to stop him coming home or stop him GOING every day! It's a total, utter nightmare, I wish I could video it for you!
We do understand as many of us have been through it... it won't always be like this, perhaps try management (with the harness etc) for a few days, research what you want to do and then prepare for it and be consistent, however I really would suggest that whatever you do, you do it lots of times and not just when her dad is arriving home as that is the most exciting time for her....

Wys
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
You could be right there Pidge about the apprehension, especially as she gets BOTH our attention when he walks through the door now doesn't she! That sounds like a good idea about Dave shutting himself in his room, after he's peeled her off him of course Trouble with that is, she's now ruling the house i.e. Dave wants to sit in the kitchen with his wife and chat and have a cup of tea, but now he's grounded into his bedroom until SHE has calmed down? Doesn't seem fair to me, but it's worth a try if it might work I suppose. Who's the control freak around here then? I'm ordering Dave into his bedroom and Zena to sit and behave! Lol! I WILL get there, we obviously haven't concentrated on this enough.

What might be another good idea is to get Dave to come in and go out a few times during the evening perhaps? Every time he comes in, he could call her, make her sit, stroke her, she gets a treat? It might sink in??
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

Also, you may have inadvertently taught this behaviour yourself?
Firstly, when you have calmed her down, you then get on the floor and play. She may think this is what they people are doing as they are bending over??? Possibly.
Secondly, you have still been teaching her to jump up in play, so she may be confused?

Sorry I haven't been very clear. When I get on the floor it is not to play but to call her to me with a command and to say hello and stroke her.
I have only very recently encouraged her to jump up - just this week in fact - because we have lost the plot with the retrieve because I have been trying to get her to come in straight. She went very flat and the jumping up was part of playing and getting some energy and enthusiasm back so we could go back to the training.
But I will bear in mind what you say about sitting her to the side. Only trouble is when we meet strangers they are not particulary dog savvy and launch right in. It takes a lot of determination to get them to wait for her to sit and somehow I suspect she will want eye contact. She is a very confident young dog and I really don't think she is easily overwhelmed by anyone. However, I can certainly try it with visitors to the house as they mostly friends and family.

ETA I also thought if I put the jumping up on command that might help.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >