Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Oh dear! Poor you. These things are sent to try us! I feel for you. I hate these two steps back days. I used to get them all the time with poor Jackjack, and Kismet can be a different dog some days, we call it 'gremlining'... Some days if you feed her after midnight she just becomes a monster, possessive and weird. stiff and dark-eyed.. I know the look you mean, then all the toys and treats go back in the box and we have to start again!

You are doing the right things and you know what to do, but I'll say it here so you know you're not alone...

Tomorrow is another day. Dogs live in the present. they don't remember yesterday and they don't consider consequences. You're going to have to take a step back and meet Tilly again for the first time. Now.. this new Tilly, you know nothing about except she's very sweet to look at and seems to be a resource guarder... So. No more kong. No more treats and back to NILIF.. Nothing in life is free. Food must be earned and no treats.

Its one step forward and two back some days isn't it...

She'll do something adorable tomorrow.
Thankyou so much your reply has made me feel tons better I can't possibly be scared of my cute puppy, a fully grown woman with a spiderman plaster on my finger!
So no more treats or kong (Note to self - BE positive)
oh & you described that Gremlin look so well! I hate it!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I agree with what has been said already.
Your doing the right thing, but try to be positive, any anxiousness from you she will pick up on.
Firm,positive and meanful when you do anything, and she will soon take some steps forward again
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 07:00 AM
yes - I really must hide my nervousness.
She went for my step daughter last night too. Tilly was watching hubby eating something & step daughter went to stroke her. No growling, just snap! So strange to happen again in one day.

Later on my other daughter found a spring from a peg stuck on her tooth - I wonder was she in pain?

Anyway positive today & hoping it was just a blip.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Oh dear poor you

Actually reading your 1st post I was going to suggest a vets visit because that didnt sound like food guarding at all
It is more than possible she was grumpy cos she was in pain

But even if it wasnt the case
It is too easy to dwell on the bad things instead of looking at how far you have come - if 9 out of 10 times she is happy for you messing around with her food, and before it was 0 out of 10 times - then instead of stressing about that 1 time, check there was no reason for it and then pat yourself on the back for the 9 times you both got it right - that is such a big step forwards

Also, if you see that look again - and of course it will make you nervous - you are human, I would give her a 'time out' just for the state of mind - dont let it get as far as a snap, just calmly put her somewhere else till you both are in a better frame of mind (you cant get off the naughty step till you say sorry to mummy )
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Maybe that was the problem, she could have been in pain. How is Tilly today?
Think positive and be assertive but not aggressive, it's a fine line
Good luck
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I`m sorry I don`t know the back-ground to this, but a couple of things struck me -
one has already been said - dog training is not a straight road - you always get setback and breakthroughs - occasionally on the same day! Just persevere and keep the Baileys handy for the dark days.
The second is that you are going to your dog, rather than the dog coming to you (for strokes etc.) I find that the best thing to do is to ignore the dog, as a rule. Then if the dog wants food, reassurance, resources, she has to `ask` for it. This automatically gives you the upper hand and the dog is far less likely to take control of the situation.
If you just stand still (looking away), the dog will frequently come and nudge your hand, seeking contact. This is better than you putting your hand out to the dog. For one thing it`s safer! For another, it gets the dog used to idea that she works for resources (you), not the other way round
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Was this advice given on your previous thread? sorry I can't find it, do you have the link?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
So sorry to hear this has happened

If it's of any help, at our training the other night, we were learning how to take food off our puppies by way of presenting them with something a LOT nicer than they already had, i.e. we let them chew on a rawhide stick she had given all of us, holding the end of course and then a couple of minutes into that, we had to offer them a treat and be able to take the rawhide chew off them, give them the treat, and then give them back the rawhide for a minute or so, and repeat. Now she also told us that although we could put our hands in foodbowls NOW whilst they were puppies, it won't always be like that when they're getting older, so by doing this, i.e. giving them something MUCH nicer than what they're already eating, we are always allowed to take away food, or add to it or whatever. The dog then learns at this young age, that when we approach them when they're eating anything, they know we will always have something nicer (we probably won't, but they will think it all the same!). Any help? Hope so, you must be feeling really down about this.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I would feed ALL meals by hand - no exceptions - Have her sit, feed and handful... Throw one bit, so she has to get up... Tell her to sit, and feed another handful... etc. etc..

She needs to realise YOU control the food...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I do think there are underlying messages coming from this youngster that she's really not happy with the food thing (and IMHO she's perhaps being made to go too fast which may mean she isn't able to relax (as you said she was tense, etc good for spotting that but it's a strong message...)

Some of it may have been due to the peg thing but reading past that, it appears she's not comfortable still. She's also learning to bite rather than growl it seems.Has she been told off for growling? Things are apparently escalating.

I do think this is the time to get a reputable professional in because (obviously I can only go by the info on here... ) it seems to me that there are strong signs that this is needed.

I have to say I think a few posts on here although meaning to be supportive, are not aware of real behavioural considerations either... and are simply relating what they do, which isn't always right for individuals in problematic situations. Hence the need for advice from someone who is there with you and who can see what is happening for real.....There, I've said it

If you go down the reputable person route (behaviourist hopefully) I'd recommend the APBC but always ask about methods used, experience etc as even in the best organisations there may be the odd one who is not so up to date with methods.

It may be that if she is insured, the company will cover it
If you decide to continue alone with internet advice I'd suggest getting hold of Mine! by Jean Donaldson, but I don't think that's the best way, honestly, at this point...

Wys
x
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >