Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DogBond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Vile 'Fishy' Odour - Dog's Rear End

Merry Christmas to you all. I do hope you've had a lovely break over the holidays.

I wonder if anyone could possibly help me - we have a terrier of non-descript origin who is currently on antibiotics for a mild bacterial skin infection. She is also prone to problems with her anal glands filling up, and has them squeezed pretty much every time she goes to the vets - maybe every 3 months or so. She last had them done about 8 weeks ago. She is a three year old rescue dog who has had at least one litter prior to us taking her in, and she has been spayed for a few months now.

For the last couple of days though, she's had a pungent 'fishy' odour around her rear end - it's really very unpleasant. Although I've not noticed any obvious discharge, she's been licking herself quite a lot, and then has been licking the floor where she's been sitting etc.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, and the smell seems to come and go. I'm so sorry if this is too much information for a post Boxing Day thread, but when the smell's there - it's enough to make your eyes water, and I'd hate to think she was ill and I'd not done anything about it.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'd be very grateful for any advice as to whether it's perhaps a side effect of the medication, or whether it's a new complaint that she needs to see the vet for. Or even if it's just that her anal glands are full again...

Thanks very much in advance.

x
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 11:26 AM
my dogs have anal gland trouble a few abccess and a gland removal it sounds like the glands are still leaking they can do this until fully healed which cant take a few weeks and more than one course of antibiotics ...your dog is prob cleaning their rear end a lot i would perhaps keep cleaning it as well Dettol or salt water

unless the dog is in pain or the gland is hard or ruptured i would just observe but if that changes see your vet again

hope that helps
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi, I can relate to that terrible fishy smell from one of my bitches, but they had pyometra problems and were not speyed at the time, but obviously we rushed her straight in. You say this bitch has been speyed so it can't be that??!! I would rather think that fishy smell comes from that "department" rather than the rear end anal glands, but that's only because of my own experience, and I remember that smell so very well. Bacteria on the skin can smell absolutely awful too, coz my current dog suffers terribly with pyoderma (wet ecezma), but that's a different type of smell to my mind. I'm wondering whether because of her skin problems with bacteria, whether some of it has actually crept into her "bits" and caused an infection in there? Might be worth another visit to the vet, she might need some ab's to clear things up? Up to you, but I can only speak through experience. Hope you get her sorted soon, and good luck.
DogBond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Thank you so much for your replies - the smell is so bad that I've made her an appointment at the vets for this afternoon. I know I'd see a doctor if there was an odour like that anywhere on me, so I thought it was best to check..

It's frustrating though because I've been thinking of changing vets tbh. The one we are registered with has so far missed my other dog's hip problems - despite my taking him to 3 appointments to say I was concerned about his hips, they waited till he was lame before they agreed there was something wrong with him. He needed steroids and physiotherapy and is still not right, and never will be apparently. They've said it's actually a fundamental problem with his soft tissue development, and it's obvious from the way he 'waddles' not walks. I first mentioned my concerns back in April 06, but was literally 'pooh poohed' out of there and made to feel a bit neurotic. Almost 18 months later, they agreed that there was a problem.

I also visited three times about my terrier's itchy skin before they agreed there was an infection - I was given a soothing shampoo to use on her on my third visit, and I really thought they only did that to pacify me. It cost me more than £50 in visits, and it was only when she broke out in scabs that they seemed to 'believe' me about there being a problem.

I'm not a very experienced dog owner and so initally I have to admit I'd cart them off to the vets at the drop of a hat, but all the same - my concerns are always valid in my opinion. Now I feel as though they 'see me coming' tbh and just try to placate me without really treating my dogs. It's hard though because they have the best reputation in the area, I'll see how I get on today, and if I'm not satisfied then I'll check out some other local surgeries.

Now I've read that back, it seems like any sane person would've been far more forceful in their approach if they believed their dog was ill, but honestly and truly the vet would have a look at my dogs and assure me there was nothing wrong. It's hard to argue when you hear from three different vets that you're wrong and worrying over nothing. I'll definitely be more assertive in future. Thanks for your replies anyway though - gret advice as usual!

xx
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Once a lack of trust creeps into a relationship it is probably time to move on. As far as being forceful is concerned I wouldn't beat yourself up too much on that score because after all they are the experts and you should be able to take their word for it. I hope that you get to the 'bottom' (no pun intended) of the fishy smell and get it sorted.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 03:56 PM
This may seem a little off topic but with Pyo just because a bitch has been caught and speyed in time doesn't neccesarily mean thats the end of it.My neighbour has a St Bernard who was rushed in and had an emergency op.Since then the old girl has had two infections similar.Seemingly they have to leave a little part as the bladder is attached somehow.This infection can come back as it has in the old girl,she has had to have ab's again to fight the infection.xxxxxxxxxx
DogBond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi there, I've just got back now, and the vet said it was definitely her anal glands that were the problem - this was before I'd even got her on the table.

Once he had looked at her, he said the glands were full, and emptied them for me, he told me it was likely to be a side effect from the antibiotics - perhaps they're making her stools a bit loose.

Part of me is certain that he's totally right, and it is just her anal glands that are causing the problem, but even just a cursory examination would've been nice.... I do think I'm going to have to look around for a new vet.

Thanks for your comments and advice anyway guys - I really appreciate your help.

x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:34 PM
hope it went well at the vets hun what did they say thinking of you
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:39 PM
well i hope it is that but i would look for a new vet hun you are not happy there and it might make you feel better to see someone else. sorry you feel this way hun
DogBond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi SJP, we literally just posted at the same time - the vet said it was her anal glands that had filled up, as a possible side effect of the medication she's on causing her bowels to be a bit loose. I'm really pleased it's a simple answer to the problem, but he said it was her anal glands before I'd lifted her onto the table and before he'd so much laid a finger on her.

Hopefully now the glands have been emptied though, we'll be in for a slightly more fragrant evening - it was enough to put me off my Christmas dinner tbh, even the dog was looking surprised by the smell!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >