View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 03:30 PM

When one of your two dogs is not allowed walks!

This is the downside of owning two dogs! Even though both have been taken out to training etc seperately, so are okay with the other going out, this has always been when they have both had a normal walk.

Well now we are in the position of having one allowed walks and the other because of an injury at the beginning of the week not allowed walks! I feel so sorry for her cos, she seems okay now and is desperate to go out, but isnt allowed until late next tuesday at the earliest! Tried the kongs and focussed training etc, but she is beside herself wanting to go out, it is heartwrenching, but we would be stupid not to follow the vets advice, and although she seems fine on her leg now she is on the metacam and the risk of a walk as extra to the play that she is having with her brother which we are having to control big time too, is really hard as we feel so sorry for her! Poor girl is wimpering like mad, if only they could understand it is for the best and temporary.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Oh dear-this sounds difficult!

We had a similar situation after Cherry's last eye operation as she was allowed out on walks but NO TOYS! She loves her Kong tennis balls but we had to hide all Parker's toys away too as not fair that one should have them and not the other dog.

Wouldn't be the same with walks though as whilst they can do without toys for a little while they do need their exercise. Hoping it won't be long before they can both get out and about again.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:36 PM
She not allowed any walks what so ever, maybe a little stretch, just on lead may help calm her?
To me if she is playing in the house that can be quite energetic, so she will be bouncing around, so maybe better having strict on lead exercise, just a few 5 or 10 min walks a few times a day.
But I would never recommend going against your vets advice, I do not know your dog, nor the circumstances. Hopefully it will come around soon and she can walk to her hearts content once more.

I find it hard to tell my one dog that he can't go when he is ill/injured, can't imagine it with two.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:37 PM
It is hard it has been through the school holiday and we have been stuck at home, but were looking forward to taking the kids out to the woods etc, but dont want to leave her at home alone, cos she would get so upset, and not understand!

I love my dogs to bits, it was so much less complicated without them though, cos i worry so much when they are hurt, i wonder why on earth i put myself through the pain!!