Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Has the dog ever done it before?

My lad once did it to me . We had just arrived with our caravan at a camp site in Wales. My dog was then six years old. On arrival at the site, hubby was directed to a tightish parking spot (to put the caravan on). New to caravanning, this wasn't an easy task for him. I stood with both dogs watching and the site owner came over at which point my dog marked.

He was less than relaxed after a long journey, watching my OH get more and more stressed at maneouvering the van and the strange guy charging straight towards us. On top of all this, it's when he developed the first outward sign of HD (limp).

He has never done it since and he's 15 now.

There are no pat answers, but there are many, many guesses
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Always expect the unexpected at dog shows
What would happen if a dog did it on a judge

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I've only had it happen to me once thank goodness, and it was someone else's dog, at a dog club

It can be due to insecurity/lack of confidence, as has been suggested by someone already (was it Maisie'smum?). I knew a rescue lab/collie cross who was very nervous and he'd do it to his owner when he was stressed. I believe dogs can use their own scent to make themselves "feel better" as well as for other reasons.

I also agree with whoever it was said that it is like coprophagia, in that we don't always know why!

Context, looking at history of dog, owner/dog relationship etc will all give clues.
Wys
x
I'll never know why my dog ate(or started to, got there in nick of time) human excrement

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Has the dog ever done it before?

My lad once did it to me . We had just arrived with our caravan at a camp site in Wales. My dog was then six years old. On arrival at the site, hubby was directed to a tightish parking spot (to put the caravan on). New to caravanning, this wasn't an easy task for him. I stood with both dogs watching and the site owner came over at which point my dog marked.

He was less than relaxed after a long journey, watching my OH get more and more stressed at maneouvering the van and the strange guy charging straight towards us. On top of all this, it's when he developed the first outward sign of HD (limp).

He has never done it since and he's 15 now.

There are no pat answers, but there are many, many guesses
Bet you've always watched out since

Don't think learning ever stops, n about dogs, the odd new/different ways etc. But love them all and that others love them too(even if wee up legs)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:04 PM
My daughter's entire chihuahua has peed up against her leg twice at dog shows. She was devastated, but I am absolutely certain that this was down to stress, not dominance, not anything to do with the possibility of a bitch in season having left her scene, or being present even at the show. On both occasions I saw it happen, and I am convinced it was due to stress. I am not sure whether this was stress picked up from daughter feeling nervous because she was "on show", or just stress that the little man felt at being in a strange place with lots of dogs whom he didn't know.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I remember when we went to a charity dog walk some months back. Lucky (my friend's 10 yr old Lab) sauntered in, went over to the reception table where several people were handing out info and taking registration etc, and cheerfully relieved himself all over the table legs and any human legs that were there!

We all watched and laughed because it really did look like he was consciously strutting in and leaving his mark - literally....

We've never seen him do it before or since
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I've witnessed this a few times.

My friend's dog has pee'd up her on several occassions whilst out around other dogs and she was told he was marking her as his 'territorial thing'.

I was once pee'd up by a Rottie at a local show, the owner nearly died of embarrassment saying he'd never done it before and he couldn't believe it and how sorry he was etc, I was just glad I had my wellies on! lol That doesn't add up with theory one though as the dog wasn't mine.

3rd instance I've had is when my bitch went to stud Angel went nuts over her smell, next time we went to a show the dog used was there and Angel kept making a beeline for him and kicking off as if to say 'I know it was you you b******d!' and kept cocking his leg and peeing up the other dogs owner but has never done it to anyone else.

I therefore have to assume they do it for various reasons.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your replies, the dog is not very popular at the moment, he did it again
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 03:23 PM
How old is the dog?

Just a thought, but I don't suppose it's the owners 'time of the month' is it?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
How old is the dog?
Think he's around three years old

Just a thought, but I don't suppose it's the owners 'time of the month' is it?
Not sure on that one, he didn't do it today, but seemed to be what i call 'strutting his stuff' a bit more than usual n ignored her completely when she was calling him, maybe he's going through some kind of phase?
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I decided to join in this thread as I got pee'd on today..

This is the 3rd time in about 2 weeks! The first time was by a tiny pup who is about 4 months old, and does it to everyone and the owner is lovely and is trying to stop him doing it all the time, just a drip or two... clearly I then smelt of it as a 6 month old hungarian vizsla then copied...

Fine.... I wear old stuff anyway and was 2 mins from home.

Today.... I think I was just standing too close or was the first thing there, when it was an 8 year old entire westie lol, the owner said he had been getting a bit "overly confident" recently and so was going to get him neutered. I am actually not sure if he was going for me or the daffodils next and I just happened to me too close - have met them loads of times before and never had an issue.

But Alfie has NEVER pee'd on me or anyone else.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 05:20 PM
There's free love, free enterprise, free gifts n free(dog) pee, the latter without rhyme nor reason(to us, any road up)
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4