Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Classic sign of disrepect of owner!
Just what I was going to say!

Seen this at a dog show with a lady who has a Cairn x Yorkie who did this to her as she was walking him round the ring! The dog is a bit of a nightmare as he tries to bite judges and is snappy with other dogs. Shame really as she is very keen of showing and attends loads of dog shows. I think she should get a dog that she would enjoy showing with and leave this one at home personally!
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I think it it is one of those questions similar to coprophagia. We can only guess why really and there are probably a number of reasons why a dog does it.

Some of the dogs that I walk regularly together do it occasionally to the other dog. It is not one way either I have seen one dog cock his leg against the other and on another walk the other dog may do it. They are dogs that get on really well together.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Classic sign of disrepect of owner!
Personally I'd say that depends on the circumstances. If the dogs sniffing around by the persons feet and decides to mark and ends up peeing up the person it's a bit different to the dog just walking up to the person and cocking it's leg imo. I don't think it's necessarily an intentional thing.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Thanks for all your replies and stories,(the dog is entire), hope he doesn't start a new craze
Get him neutered!

Theres the other scenario of male dogs peeimg on bitches when they are squatting. Used to know someone who thought this hilarious when her male did it. Odd sense of humour & she was forever washing her bitch. Theory - case of dog marking "his" bitch/es.

Its also true what someone else said - has no One trained these dogs "not" to do it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Get him neutered

This will not necessarily stop a dog doing it, especially if he cocks his legs on people, rather than actually marking territory!
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Murf, you beat me to it !! I'm sorry I just couldnt resist thinking that !!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Another dog walker had been stood talking to someone today and her dog weed up her leg, she asked if i knew why. I really didn't know (could it of been because dissaproved of her being stood talking?) n sorry if daft question but does anyone please know why he did it and what to do if it happens again
Many thanks
H.
ps the dog wasn't on lead
Hi H this can sometimes happen when the person with the dog has been near someone with a bitch (even worse a bitch in season) and picked up her scent. In these circumstances it is related to scenting.

I can't remember the exact details but we had someone posting on here ages ago who came home from work and her dog peed on her, she was shocked.
When questioned she had been stroking a bitch.

I have had it happen to me at a dog show
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi H

I have had it happen to me at a dog show
Always expect the unexpected at dog shows
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks once again for all your interesting and informative replies, will wait to see if she mentions (or if he's done) it again and be ready to move quick if he comes over for a sniff
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I've only had it happen to me once thank goodness, and it was someone else's dog, at a dog club

It can be due to insecurity/lack of confidence, as has been suggested by someone already (was it Maisie'smum?). I knew a rescue lab/collie cross who was very nervous and he'd do it to his owner when he was stressed. I believe dogs can use their own scent to make themselves "feel better" as well as for other reasons.

I also agree with whoever it was said that it is like coprophagia, in that we don't always know why!

Context, looking at history of dog, owner/dog relationship etc will all give clues.

Wys
x
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >