Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Kiing

Believe me making such a decision is the hardest thing to do but it is the right thing. Keeping a dog in a manner where it is never going to be among people will only make it worse. Dog owners have a tendency to think that all a dog needs is exercise, TOTALLY WRONG. It need mental stimulus as well. By keeping a dog confined can only make it more dangerous, and saying that a careful watch will be kept on the dog is what everyone says until it attacks, then it is too late.

I would suggest listening to reason and not the heart.

Oh before asking about what knowledge I have, my job is being with dogs each and every day and owned dogs for the past 40 years. I my wife and my staff combined have well over 120 years of canine knowledge of all aspects of dog ownership- care- training-breeding-rescuing-racing (for fun) and advertising-showing. So its not a novice giving third party advice.

Realspeed
The assumption you seem to be making is that you know this dog and it's home life inside and out, but the reality is you never will. You say this dog will never have a happy life as a people aggressive dog, yet you have never met it or it's owners?

It is perfectly possible to give a human aggressive dog a happy life, the dog just needs careful management. My parents live a life where they very, very rarely have visitors and when they do the house would be big enough to accommodate both the dog and the visitors safely. They live in the country where they rarely come across others whilst out on walks, so the dog would be well exercised with little trouble.

Just because you believe something, doesn't make it true.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2011, 12:13 AM
You said again quote" rehoming Anton to a GSD-savvy home" with no mention of making the new owners aware before I raised the issue. Which makes me thing you were going to pass him on without telling, if that was the final decision.
You are just not getting it no matter how plainly I write.

If a dog has bitten twice without provocation then there is only one course of action a responsible owner should take, and that is to have the animal put to sleep

Realspeed
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Oh dear oh dear
Yet another member blind as to what a dog that has bitten can do in the future. Just another excuse to keep a dangerous dog on a premises. It doesn't matter where an owner lives or how many visitors a dangerous dog is a dangerous dog. Where do these beliefs come from that its ok to have an unsound dog living with a family?

I just give up

Tumbleweed
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Oh dear oh dear
Yet another member blind as to what a dog that has bitten can do in the future. Just another excuse to keep a dangerous dog on a premises. It doesn't matter where an owner lives or how many visitors a dangerous dog is a dangerous dog. Where do these beliefs come from that its ok to have an unsound dog living with a family?

I just give up

Tumbleweed
A dog can only do damage if allowed to by it's owners, that's the bottom line. You implied that a dog "confined" would lead a miserable life, I've offered the opinion that this doesn't always need to be the case. If you give up that's your choice.
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2011, 12:25 AM
You said again quote" rehoming Anton to a GSD-savvy home" with no mention of making the new owners aware before I raised the issue. Which makes me thing you were going to pass him on without telling, if that was the final decision.
You are just not getting it no matter how plainly I write.

If a dog has bitten twice without provocation then there is only one course of action a responsible owner should take, and that is to have the animal put to sleep

Realspeed
I would not pass on a human aggressive dog to unsuspecting owners - that would be unbelievably low, and, like I said, could be ultimately worse for the dog and other people.

I think this conversation is going to go around in circles if we continue. I understand that this is a very serious problem and that is going to take a great deal of care to control, but we are ready and willing to put in the time and effort in to deal with it so that no one ever gets hurt again. Hopefully the behaviorist will be able to aid us in this.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2011, 04:19 AM
I just give up

Tumbleweed
i think thats the best option really.

belive me, its a hard thing to say, but i feel that when a person has made sweeping assumptions about someone they havent met and only interpreted their comments in a way they want to believe, then you can never cure them.
they will always do this, they arent safe in social company, i know its as i have dealt with 158 people in my lifetime, so that makes me a self declared expert.

therefore, because i have said, it it must be FACT, so the only thing that can be done with such a person as described is to stand them in a dark corner and never ever let then out...
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2011, 05:33 AM
King, you have received so much constructive advice on here and you really seem to be doing the right thing for Anton. Well done, I hope it goes well on the 11th.

Tumbleweed I thought your first comment was fair and was what YOU thought should be done. It is your opinion and you had every right to post it. However I personally think some of your later comments have been unfair! Your criticism is not constructive in anyway.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i think thats the best option really.

belive me, its a hard thing to say, but i feel that when a person has made sweeping assumptions about someone they havent met and only interpreted their comments in a way they want to believe, then you can never cure them.
they will always do this, they arent safe in social company, i know its as i have dealt with 158 people in my lifetime, so that makes me a self declared expert.

therefore, because i have said, it it must be FACT, so the only thing that can be done with such a person as described is to stand them in a dark corner and never ever let then out...
Well said.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
King, you have received so much constructive advice on here and you really seem to be doing the right thing for Anton. Well done, I hope it goes well on the 11th.

Tumbleweed I thought your first comment was fair and was what YOU thought should be done. It is your opinion and you had every right to post it. However I personally think some of your later comments have been unfair! Your criticism is not constructive in anyway.
Well said.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:23 PM
i would personally if it were me.. seek a reputable, qualified and recommended behaviourist (which will cost a considerable amount of money)

You would be surprised how simple some biting problems can be turned around if you have a behaviourist which understands the breed and exactly why the dog is doing it, and how the problem can be solved.

Definitely Defintiely seek a behaviourist, but please make sure they are super duper qualified! There are too many "backyard behaviorists" these days and its darn scary!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >