View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Which out of purina, hills and iams are best?

question in the title really.

so which would you pick out of Purina, Iams or Hills.
This is for my 10 week old GSD puppy who is quite underwieght at the mo and you can feel his bones (only got him on friday and he oviousbly wasn't fed either the best food or enough of it)
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 04:25 PM
id go for Hills, but i will be feeding wags biccis & butchers dog meat as that is meant to be raelly good, i dont think you have to go major expensive to get great quialty
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2008, 04:55 PM
it's not that we think we need to go expensive to get good quality but we get it for almost half the shop prices so it doesn't matter lol.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

30-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I would not use any of them.

I would go for Royal Canin Maxi Baby Dog up till he is 5 months ,especially as it is a GSD as when he is older they do a breed specific for GSD 's and it is supposed to be very good for large breeds who are prone prone to Bloat.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-11-2008, 05:28 PM
We have tried them all and the only one we would use with our dogs is Purina. We used Purina Proplan for several years up until recently with excellent results from Puppies right up to working adult dogs.
We recently changed to Best Choice, a german food, and it really is good stuff - even better than Purina

Mick
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't think any of them are very good quality and certainly don't think anything made by Wagg is worth feeding - read the ingredients and imagine it before it is made biscuity looking.

Complete foods that I consider to be of BETTER quality are Burns, CSJ and some Wafcols, but if I were to feed a complete food I would choose Naturediet or Nature's Menu.

So many things in the dry foods that we would never ever knowingly choose to give to our dogs ... ash is the one that always springs to mind
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 06:53 PM
oh i wasnt saying about money just my own views!

i just did a thread on butchers & wag food on the diet section & everyone thought it was really good so i will give it a go!

ive always fed james well beloved myself and hills and arden grange! i will use that to! i like to mix & match

oh congrats on your new pup! very exciting! GSD are the best doggies!
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Trophy Pet foods do a very good range without additives or addition of any animal derivatives to make up the protein.

Hills is expensive, Iams tested on animals and is ethically unsound. Purina is ok but only ok.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Trophy Pet foods do a very good range without additives or addition of any animal derivatives to make up the protein.

Hills is expensive, Iams tested on animals and is ethically unsound. Purina is ok but only ok.
Please be very careful what you write.

1. Iams did not do the testing on animals but funded research-this has now ceased(actually ceased several Years ago)

2. How do you know Iams is ethically unsound ? The Parent company may be(P&G)

Purina are owned by Nestles who are not ethical in some of their practices

Hills is owned by Colgate-Palmolive-who are not ethical in some of their practices

Mars own James Wellbeloved, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Techni Cal-who are not ethical in some of their practices.

To JustJess:-

You are best feeding your puppy on the same food the breeder did at first & then gradually change over to a food which is suited to him-Arden Grange is produced by GSD breeders & is a privately owned company
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Please be very careful what you write.
I am always careful about what I write.

1. Iams did not do the testing on animals but funded research-this has now ceased(actually ceased several Years ago)
It is widely known that Iams continue to test their products on animals - http://www.iamscruelty.com/

2. How do you know Iams is ethically unsound ? The Parent company may be(P&G)
see above

Purina are owned by Nestles who are not ethical in some of their practices
Noted

Hills is owned by Colgate-Palmolive-who are not ethical in some of their practices
I did not say that they were not and I did not endorse their products

Mars own James Wellbeloved, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Techni Cal-who are not ethical in some of their practices.
I am fully aware of this - we were not discussing their products.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >