View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 09:51 PM

Why do you think the UK are not members of the FCI?

This may seem a strange question to most, but the majority of European Countries - including the Republic of Ireland, are members of the FCI which mean that International shows can be held. It struck me at Crufts that this was trying to be an "International" show with many overseas entries, but at the end of the day you can only win awards towards UK Champion so it really isn't international in the "FCI" sense of the term.
Ireland became full members last year and we have four FCI shows a year in addition to our "normal" Champ shows so you can make up an International (and Irish) Champion without leaving the Country, if your dog is good enough.
I wondered if anyone knew the story as to why the UK are not FCI members and whether this is likely to change Just curious really!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Can't answer breed wise, but I believe the agility and obedience(?) is because the FCI only allows pedigree dogs as recognised in that country - in the UK agility and obedience is a sport for everydog!!! (I only know the agility rulings well).
H xx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Not just Obedience & Agility but also Working Trials, HTM, Flyball as well as these are open in the uk to any dog registered with the KC on either register

The UK Kennel Club is the oldest KC I think & has no need to join the FCI They have FCI shows in Ireland but the working side is pure Irish to allow the"non pedigree"dogs to work. The UK KC doesn't need to join the FCI-but I would like them to bring in mandatory health testing in all breeds & not just for Irish Setters

I certainly wouldn't want to work FCI Obedience(my BC is fully KC reg so I could compete under FCI rules)way to regimented & a lot of overseas people who do FCI Obedience prefer the UK Obedience.

Crufts along with all UK shows weren't opened up to appear "International"but to bring the KC shows in line with the FCI in allowed cross border entries. This only came about after the Pet Passports came into existance. The Crufts entry is restricted to placed dogs at other Championship shows & stud book number holders if the dog has always been a UK resident & not travelled abroad(that includes Eire)

Edited to add At FCI shows if you enter & are the only dog of the breed entered they can win CACs etc So a dog can get made up if it's the only one of the breed being shown. This would never happen under KC rules as the available CC's are reduced if the breed entries fall to low levels
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Yes I can see that would not be popular, and quite rightly so.
However, our FCI shows are combined with our "National" shows and where the rules differ, dogs will qualify under one set or the other, or both. For example, under FCI rules a dog has to be 15 months old and entered in one class only (and a qualifying one) to go up for the CACIB. (FCI version of the CC). However, at the same show in the same class, ANY dog that wins ANY breed class on the day can be considered for Green Star (Irish version of CC). Therefore, we are running both sets of rules at the same time. Confusing, eh??? Just try standing in the ring wondering what happens next and whether the judge knows
So tomorrow - Deccy is too young for a CACIB even if we were in with a shout, but he could get the Green Star, in theory. The agility in Ireland is also any breed or type and I will look in the catalogues to see if they also run a parallel system..... although not sure how this would work in practise
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I too thing it is true the KC is the oldest and the standards are a little different, the KC tries to make changes to the standards to help improve the health of the breeds but they are written by the breed clubs who would loose control of their breeds welfare if we were forced to accept the FCI standards and groups. The KC is affiliated and competing under KC or FCI rules is not a problem neither is judging.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 11:58 AM
At FCI shows if you enter & are the only dog of the breed entered they can win CACs etc So a dog can get made up if it's the only one of the breed being shown.
Well not quite. Yes, you "only" need 4 CACIBs to make up an International Champion BUT my understanding of it here is that you cannot take up the title until your dog has the "National" title too, which is 40 points on Green Stars, 20 from Majors where there has to be a minimum number in the ring usually (but not always, sorry if that sounds "Irish" lol ). If you stand alone, most - but not all - Green Stars will be one point so it's a slog. For those showing here regularly, majors are the difficulty and in my breed, I had to go BOB to get my first as I got the points from the bitches there too which made up the points. It is not as easy as it may first appear.
We have it all ways here as we can always jump on a ferry and show in the UK too then there is always Belfast.......
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2006, 06:55 AM
*Edited to add At FCI shows if you enter & are the only dog of the breed entered they can win CACs etc So a dog can get made up if it's the only one of the breed being shown.*

But only if the dog is up to standard

CC`S & CACIBS can be withheld if the dog is no good, I`ve seen it happen a few times over here when its been the only dog in the ring & not up to standard.

In Spain the dog needs 4 CC`S given by 3 different judges & 1 of those CC`S must be 1 from a breed ch. show or the Madrid show. There are only 2 Madrid shows a yr & the labradors have only 1 ch. show a yr, so not that easy at all And yep, to make the dog an International.Ch. it must be a champion in the country it resides in & have 4 CACIBS, 3 from different countries & 3 different judges & also given a year & a day from the first to the last one given
NusmasPitbulls
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Because in the FCI there are dogs that are registered under the "dangerous Wild Animals Act" (such as Czechoslovakian Wolfdog and Saarloos Wolfhound) and other dogs that are registered under the Dangerous Dogs Act (such as Pitbulls, Tosas, Dogo Argentinos)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by NusmasPitbulls
Because in the FCI there are dogs that are registered under the "dangerous Wild Animals Act" (such as Czechoslovakian Wolfdog and Saarloos Wolfhound) and other dogs that are registered under the Dangerous Dogs Act (such as Pitbulls, Tosas, Dogo Argentinos)
Interested to know where your information came from.

The dogs you list are not recognised by the AKC either and I think they are under the FCI umbrella, but I could be wrong in which case why are the AKC not affiliated to the FCI
NusmasPitbulls
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Interested to know where your information came from.

The dogs you list are not recognised by the AKC either and I think they are under the FCI umbrella, but I could be wrong in which case why are the AKC not affiliated to the FCI
At no point did I say they were recognised by the AKC although they are recognised by the UKC
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >