Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
If he has done damage to sheep already he has a taste for it, roundhere the dog if seen worrying or near sheep would be shot

I live in a very rural location and we have all beeen warned by the farmers around us what they would do and my 3 Border Collies are only out when I am out and always supervised fortunately I work hard to keep them occupied

Perhaps the dog could be muzzled - My old BC was put in a pen with a Ewe with 2 lambs and he never looked at sheep again nothing broken but he learned a lesson - he was deaf so it was a lot harder to get him back when he got a scent
Thanks Lizz. We also live very rurally, but thankfully my husband is very laidback and forgiving (so far anyway!) and so would not want this dog shot, but definitely does not want a repeat of the behaviour.

He has suggested a muzzle if the dog is running loose, or to be kept on a lead, but as it is a working dog who will most likely have to work loose through sheep, it could be a problem.

We will see.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Oh - and any photos of your collies (especially in the countryside) Lizz? Would love to see them
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I am not suggesting for one moment that this as a solution (or any other electronic solution) and what I am posting is purely anecdotal in relation to what happened to one of my dogs.

This dog when young was very interested in sheep and loved nothing better than to chase after things. We were passing by a field of sheep on a walk and I had him on his lead. The excited dog lunged forward and got zapped by the electric fence. He did not yelp, but it stopped him in his tracks and he withdrew immediately. It was sufficient to put him off from approaching sheep permanently after that and he always gave them a wide berth. He didn't get badly hurt, but it must have been quite uncomfortable and the last thing I wanted was for that to happen to him. It was accidental, pure and simple, but it certainly stopped him wanting to chase sheep.
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
We have 3 boys who are my pride and joy a Black and white Sky who is 4, A red and white boy who is 3 in November called Sunny and my wonderful surprise from my late father who put a deposit on a dog before it was even born he later died and my wonderful husband completed my Dads last wish and my baby boy is 6 months old tomorrow he is a split face Blue merle called Mistral

Will try and put up some photo's of my wonderful boys
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I am not suggesting for one moment that this as a solution (or any other electronic solution) and what I am posting is purely anecdotal in relation to what happened to one of my dogs.

This dog when young was very interested in sheep and loved nothing better than to chase after things. We were passing by a field of sheep on a walk and I had him on his lead. The excited dog lunged forward and got zapped by the electric fence. He did not yelp, but it stopped him in his tracks and he withdrew immediately. It was sufficient to put him off from approaching sheep permanently after that and he always gave them a wide berth. He didn't get badly hurt, but it must have been quite uncomfortable and the last thing I wanted was for that to happen to him. It was accidental, pure and simple, but it certainly stopped him wanting to chase sheep.
I have heard of gundogs wearing e-collars whilst working, so not sure whether the owner of this particular dog will go down that route ... but I definitely know others that it works for.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have heard of gundogs wearing e-collars whilst working, so not sure whether the owner of this particular dog will go down that route ... but I definitely know others that it works for.
It seems more commonplace among gundog owners. I was rather disconcerted to discover the gun/shooting supplies shop in my (very large) village, just a few minutes walk away - which also has a large web presence - stocks a range of e-collars. However any gundog owners I have asked about this, say they would never use one, and don't know anyone that does.... but if that's the case then why would the shop be selling them?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:03 PM

I find that very strange as gundogs never wear collars of any description whilst working, too dangerous!

And of course they cannot wear them in Field Trials etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
It seems more commonplace among gundog owners. I was rather disconcerted to discover the gun/shooting supplies shop in my (very large) village, just a few minutes walk away - which also has a large web presence - stocks a range of e-collars. However any gundog owners I have asked about this, say they would never use one, and don't know anyone that does.... but if that's the case then why would the shop be selling them?
As Angela recounts on her website there are all sorts of sheep worriers and what will cure one will not cure others and the use of aversives are often contraindicated in many cases.

Imagine if you got a shock when you saw a sheep your antipathy towards them could increase............. it is called the law of unintended consequences................

Be very careful.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I think a lot of gun dogs in America (maybe the majority) wear e-collars whilst working and they say they are very successful - winning is important they seem to like a quick fix and they win a lot of competitions using them. I only have one dog now and I don't work her, but I wouldn't routinely use an e-collar on a gun dog or any other dog.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Imagine if you got a shock when you saw a sheep your antipathy towards them could increase............. it is called the law of unintended consequences................
Be very careful.
Oh no need to warn me.... I'd never consider it, but was intrigued (if you will) to discover this gundog place selling them.

Merlin got "bitten" by an electric fence only a couple of weeks ago - long time coming really, but most of the ones we come across on walks are switched off. This one wasn't. He yelped and jumped and ran like his tail was on fire, and I was relieved there was nothing obvious that he could have misdirected the cause of his shock towards, although I've not taken him back there since.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >