View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Its funny - people I know who have worked with aggressive dogs, on the whole, dissagree with these programmes....the general public I meet or talk to seem to think he is the best thing since sliced bread! Oddly it seems because he keeps so many dogs together, they seem very awed by that.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Mistakes.....3 that have ended up with people (me and Mum) being bitten (and blood being drawn.)

1.George....trying to take something out of her mouth, she backed herself into a corner and I followed (idiot!) she let go of the object and got my hand instead -

Lesson 1 - Always give a dog an escape route!

2. Polly, Leaping around in the back of the car - she would attack the other dogs so had a baskerville muzzle on. However - she was fine if in the footwell. Travelling with mum - she got out of the footwell, Mum said, just get hold of her collar and put her back down.....

Lesson 2 - Dogs can still do serious damage through a muzzle....
Also Lesson 3 - Never expect sympathy from your mother...who promptly said - "isn't it lucky I didn;t do that", swiftly followed by - "Please try not to bleed on the car!"

3. Mum with a GSD at the NAWT - he lunged, very aggressively (on the lead) at one of the carers and Mum got hold of him...big mistake as she had no other option but to eventually let him go - when he was let go he of course flew at her....hospital trip required.
No lesson there really, except to try not to get into that situation. He was a very stressed and confused dog, sadly that was his last day.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 12:04 PM
thanks tassle, yup we really learn fast from our mistakes

I have learnt lots with Mia, mainly
dont put her in a situation she cant handle, breaking up dogfights hurts! (thankfully she realised what she was doing and inhibited her bite)

Dont listlen to people who say
'Oh my dog is totaly fine, and yours is on the lead so nothing can happen, mine wouldnt harm a fly' ' Oh thats a surprise - its your dogs fault she was barking at her'
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

Lesson 2 - Dogs can still do serious damage through a muzzle....
Also Lesson 3 - Never expect sympathy from your mother...who promptly said - "isn't it lucky I didn;t do that", swiftly followed by - "Please try not to bleed on the car!"
That made me chuckle! Too true! Mums are funny things aren't they!

And yup, I ditto those who've said things along the lines of "nooooo, lets not get into another CM bashing session!". So I'll leave it at that on the topic of CM and his methods. We'll all just have to agree to disagree on that one.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ace_Animals View Post
And yup, I ditto those who've said things along the lines of "nooooo, lets not get into another CM bashing session!". So I'll leave it at that on the topic of CM and his methods. We'll all just have to agree to disagree on that one.
Yeah, I think it's been done to death

Really interesting reading about those who've dealt with aggressive dogs. Some of it sounds pretty scary

At least if mine ever get aggressive, they can't do much damage - I HOPE
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2009, 01:50 PM
You'd be surprised CheekyChihuahua - they can pack a fair "punch" too if they're really determined! I've only ever been bitten once before (and it was a case of my leg getting in the way in between two dogs) - the bite itself really wasn't so bad (albeit hurt like hell at the time it happened) but it certainly didn't require stitches or anything like that. But it lasted for 18 months before the bruising went down!!!! And what dog did it? A Cocker Spaniel! I was so pleased it wasn't a bigger dog or else I'd still have the bruising now!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Yeah, I think it's been done to death

Really interesting reading about those who've dealt with aggressive dogs. Some of it sounds pretty scary

At least if mine ever get aggressive, they can't do much damage - I HOPE
If people keep reopening the topic of CM (see posts 25 and 26 ) others have a right to put their opposing views, this is an open forum.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Its funny - people I know who have worked with aggressive dogs, on the whole, dissagree with these programmes....the general public I meet or talk to seem to think he is the best thing since sliced bread! Oddly it seems because he keeps so many dogs together, they seem very awed by that.
Really? Mmm not sure I agree with that. I think its creditable that he can keep so many dogs together, especially given the breeds that many are. At the end of the day its just individual opinions that say he is right or wrong, you are no more right than he is, nor am I. Id like to see the long drawn out techniques that many spout about work on a dog in kennels intent on attacking you, when you MUST get the dog out to exercise it and clean the kennel, and some you must administer meds to aswell!! Oh and what happens if an aggressive dog becomes ill while you are boarding it? teach it clicker training and if its still alive take it to the vet in 3 weeks time!!

Id REALLY like some of the people who rubbish CM to come and deal with the next aggressive dog we have in and see how they do, because as you are saying its pet people who think he is great, Im saying it those who have not had to deal with a truly aggressive dog is doing the rubbishing!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Oh and what happens if an aggressive dog becomes ill while you are boarding it? teach it clicker training and if its still alive take it to the vet in 3 weeks time!! !
Very valid point
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 03:19 PM
My Shamus the shorthair goes rigid and gives blood-curdling growls when worried. I`m sure if I pushed it he would bite from sheer terror. After a year he`ll let me do most things with him - although he sometimes panics. I`ve had to educate my sons and various visitors into not making eye contact when he gets worried, and when he gets growly to ignore him. I do `challenge` him sometimes by leaving my hand where it is (and looking away) when he starts to get the terrors about me stroking him. I wait till he goes quiet and if he remains tense I just move away but if he relaxes I tell him he`s a good boy.
It`s difficult because I don`t want to `reward` the growls but on the other hand He needs to go at his own pace in learning that I can be trusted.
We are getting there - he let me rub his tummy last week.
I`ve tried food but he freezes when he`s scared and won`t accept it.
Does anyone else have a fear-aggressive dog? What did you do?
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »