23-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I certainly will
Great!
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Hope it all works out for you and if you pick up any other tips along your travels let me know. We're going through this with Dingo. Only on lead does he bark at other dogs. We're getting there slowly. Off lead he's great with dogs now.

Heidi
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 08:19 PM
sarah pm me and I will get back to you poss not tonight but tomorow at the latest,, I can give you my phone number cos doing it on pms takes ages,,,,so much typing lol aint I a lazy sod,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I've had Bryan for a year now. We got him from Dog's Trust when he was about 10 months old. He was a stray so we know nothing of his life before he came to us, other than that he was very thin. He was housetrained, knew the command 'sit' so I guess he'd had some kind of home life.

Ever since we got him, whilst on lead, he barks at other dogs. We had him seen by a Dog's Trust behaviourist because I was concerned that we would never be able to let him off his lead because of the aggression he was showing.

But when the behaviourist tried him with another dog, he barked and barked but when they got close together he didn't attack, just sniffed the other dog. The behaviourist thought that Bryan was so desperate to get to the other dog that this frustration was showing itself as barking and aggression.

When he is off lead he is very friendly, and loves playing with other dogs. If an off lead dog approaches him while he is on lead he is friendly also.

I was using a water bottle to squirt him when he starts barking. I tried distraction with treats, getting him to sit, but he goes off on one so much that he just can't listen to me. The water was working and he seemed to be getting better.

But now I have a foster dog it's really difficult to squirt him with the water while having hold of two dogs. The other dog is fine - she doesn't bark at other dogs when on her lead, unless they bark first

What I've been doing is crossing the road if possible, and just walking past purposefully and not paying him any attention. There's no point me shouting at him - it has no effect at all. But it doesn't seem to be stopping him barking.

So I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to stop him barking? I'm not sure if I'll ever get him out of the habit, but I would like to be able to stop him getting to the point of no return, if you see what I mean.

Thanks everyone!
Hi Sarah there are different kinds of barks, from your description and the opinion of the behaviorist it sounds like your dog's bark is an over excited 'can't wait to get to you and play' bark rather than an 'I am going to bark first so you know not to mess with me' bark .

Your dog sounds a friendly chap and I would not want to punish him for this with the use of aversive (spraying water and heaven forbid a choke chain) or to make him associate approaching dogs with anything unpleasant, this can actually lead to aggression . When he sees an approaching dog and barks I would try turning and walking back the other way until the barking stops, then turn again to face the oncoming dog praising him all the time he is quiet in a soft calm voice, repeat the turning as required. Don't shout at him, this could make things worse because he may think you joining in the barking too. Don't expect instant success, it will take time but eventually your dog should learn that in order to meet an approaching dog he must be calm and quiet .

I have the same problem with my puppy, she is so eager to meet approaching dogs she squeals with excitement . She is starting to learn the above method.
Bambi_baby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2008, 11:33 PM
I use a halti on bambi plus a choker chain as he is so strong and i am so little there is no way i can controll him when he see's a bird or a squirrel!bambi used to do the same thing so i started meeting friends from puppy obdience classes on purposs to try and break the habit, it worked after about 6 months! Good luck in hat ever you decide to do!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks Shona, I've PM'd you

Minihaha - I understand what you mean about different barking. TBH it's hard for me to tell. His body language to me seems like aggression - his head goes flat, ears back and the barking is more of a 'keep away' tone. You're right about shouting as well - it just makes me look like a numpty! So I don't do it

But, once he started this behaviour when he saw a couple of springers he knows and gets on with - they were on the other side of the road. So their owner started walking towards me and we met in the middle of the road. As soon as we got up to them he instantly stopped the barking, wagged his tail and started sniffing them and saying hello nicely!

He's a conundrum wrapped in a riddle my dog

I tried the walking past briskly method this morning and it worked really well. He was trying to see the other dog and pulling a bit, but didn't bark at all. I also got him to wait when a man with westie on lead was coming from behind us. He didn't bark then either.

I think after the help I got last night I'm feeling more positive and relaxed - I was getting so frustrated before. I just need to stay in that frame of mind I think.
alice0675
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
sarah pm me and I will get back to you poss not tonight but tomorow at the latest,, I can give you my phone number cos doing it on pms takes ages,,,,so much typing lol aint I a lazy sod,
Been following this thread with interest and like many other times Shona it's taken to PM.I thought the idea of forums was for people to post and others to reply in the threads so that we can all share the information and learn from each other. By exchanging information by PM we are not able benefit from your experience. If all replies were by PM there would be nothing to read. Would it be possible for you to post your suggestions in the thread so that we can all share them.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by alice0675 View Post
Been following this thread with interest and like many other times Shona it's taken to PM.I thought the idea of forums was for people to post and others to reply in the threads so that we can all share the information and learn from each other. By exchanging information by PM we are not able benefit from your experience. If all replies were by PM there would be nothing to read. Would it be possible for you to post your suggestions in the thread so that we can all share them.
In a word NO, the reason being, all dogs are diff,there aggression stems from diff things, so for one person to read the thread then thinking im going to do that with my dog,,, when there dog needs diff methods , would be of no use to anyone,,,
also some people dont want it on the forum, many members have came to me via pm who wish to keep it that way,
most of the people helped do go on to post how they achieve the end result, benzmum has plenty of them, all explaining how it was done, ZB also has a thread up, so your not following close enough

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=80730
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=81434

Edited to add, these things normaly go on to lenghty conversations on the phone,, I really dont want to plaster my phone number on the forum,.also there is a need to take so much background on dogs, which involves all aspects of there lifes, some of which is personal to the owner,

No two dogs will ever need the same thing,, they are all very diff x
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Don't give Shona a hard time, she's going to help me via phone, then I can post what I'm going to do next.

P.S. Shona, tried to PM Benzmum a link to this thread, but her inbox is full
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »