View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I have never read CM or watched him but I do meet up with someone sometimes who does watch him and thinks he is brilliant,needless to say this person thinks we should all train our dogs this way from what he has told me I certainly wouldn't he also has some funny ideas with regards to his dog.None that I would call positive.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I reckon some one should throw something at cesar milan :smt075 i do not agree with his training methods at all , i have used a rattle bottle but i have only ever rattled it never thrown , to distract the dogs , i would never hit my dogs or throw anything at them , the only things i throw are there toys for them to fetch , i think he is an idiot to be honest xxdk
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
Oh my goodness, I had never heard of this guy before, what a dreadful way of traing a dog thats awful!!!! Icon is the forth dog I have had, and I have clicker trained them all, even Icon at 11 weeks old knows that as soon as I get my clicker out it means treats he knows so much through this positive method, I don't understand why some trainers still use such an out of date approach.
There was an episode of his show with a bulldog that was being naughty. His immediate thoughts were of course domination & tried to Alpha Role it. He ended up quite badly bitten despite CM saying it was just a scratch, he had blood pouring from his arm. Just imagine him doing this with a bigger more powerful dog ! & then some fool doing the same ignoring the "don't do this at home"message There was one case of this happening & the owner didn't survive !
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Somewhere with a load of apes living there which would pelt `magic punisher` coconuts at their sort would be ideal
:smt043 Brilliant

and I disagree about Mr Milan :smt019 (the cheeky lil' Mexicano) I think he has the right attitude for understanding the needs of dominant dogs :smt016
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
hi i need to point out it is NOT cesar millan who traines his dogs by throwing an object at his dogs, i took that quote from the book tittled ''what if my dog..?';' written by a vet.

Reading all your comments about cesar, i think i will step back and asces if he really is this wonderfull dog whisperer i thought he was, i value your opinions, you must dislike him and his methods for a good reason.
Cesars way to correct dogs is a short sharp touch/jab to the dogs neck area which he says simulates the way the pack leader dog would bite the otrher dog to correct it..is this wrong?.. i did try on my dog but if im honest i tried it once or twice on my yorkie and to touch the dog with the force needed like cesar does is just not something i could or would do again, i did it to honey n it was more of a push jab than anything, i felt cruel..so i guess that answers my question about cesar??!!! im now seeing him in a different light. [no longer no1 fan lol]
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't think the short sharp 'bite' in the neck he displays always works.

I rather prefer his way of thinking regarding how dogs interact and think and how they percieve you as a leader to protect them etc. I also agree that they should earn what they get, which is exactly the same as the NILIF programme.

So regardless of what he shows on TV I still think he has the right way of thinking about dominant issues and how to gain respect in certain dogs.
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2007, 01:35 PM
sorry folks im here yet again.. i know this is not a discusion about cesar millan but i have to say, in his defense his own pack of 40-50 plus dogs were all red zone cases, very v aggresive, very problamatic, most due to be pts, but he worked and cured them, now they all live in harmony because they see cesar as pack leader..you can see this yourself, yes he may have a one way method, but he does understand the dogs, and he is not cruel..but i know i sound like a m contradicting myself cos i am unable un willing to use his touch method on honey only vbbecause when i did try it it seemed to much, like i said i seemed to jab/push her, maybe i did it wrong so id rather not do it atall
sorry ppl i dont want a war lol..anyway back to main disscusion..xxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree with you. I don't know anyone that has aggressive prone or rehabilitated dogs that can live that happily together and although Cesar has the odd scuffle, the dogs know when to respect him and take his word for it. And no he's not cruel, he just teaches them to understand how they should behave and WHY, rather than forcing them to behave a certain way with no choice.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
He has no understanding of dominant dogs, they do not instill discipline by biting lower dogs in the high neck area. unless you have owned a largest number of dogs you will never have the opportunity to see a dominant dog's behaviour.

Like all the other whisperers & listeners they base their theory on the study of captive artificial wolf packs, that do not hunt nor defend their territory & are made up of wolves from various sources.

A truly wild wolf pack is very closely related family, the Alpha male & female rule by body posture & attitude, rarely if ever resort to physical violence.

We had at one time 11 GSDs & one BC, they were all entire dogs & bitches & my dominant bitch ruled them with a look. There were no falling outs at all, any dog starting any unacceptable behaviour found themselves being stared at by her & they stopped at once.

Dogs do not need a human pack leader, they comply with the humans they live with because they receive food & shelter from them & of course affection.

The fact that when a new dog was introduced there was a fracas, shows that he is NOT the pack leader. I've never had a problem bringing a new dog/puppy/cat/kitten(including rescues with mega behavioural problems) with my dogs & there have been a good number of adult dogs join our established "pack"including two import GSDs from Germany & several rescues.

My young BC had never seen a cat or kitten before Reg & Jaq arrived & he has a very very strong prey drive(he hates squirrels with a real vengeance & I've found him halfway up a tree in hot pursuit) Did he chase the kittens as prey ? No, he thought they were puppies & when they hissed at him he legged it. Now they chase him & egg him on to play you chase me I chase you games which the kittens always start. I don't think CM would achieve that I didn't see any rescued cats at his facility

However you admire him & his dark ages method of dog training & theories which is your prerogative of course
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2007, 02:05 PM
can i just say cesar does not just say to use the touch method on the neck area on just the smaller lower dogs, its all dogs even his pit bulls n rotties,
he also says many times he does not think his way,his method is the 'only way' 'the only right way' ect..he says there are many dog trainers/whisperers ect all using different methods, what works for one dog may not work for another, he is best at helping and rehabilitaing the very bad aggresive dogs that otherwise would be pts, and however old his method it does work!! and regardless of if i like cesar or not ''''think of how many dogs he has helped, rehabilatated and saved from being put to sleep, think how many un balanced un happy dogs that are now happy well ajusted well balanced loving dogs..'''''
Im no cesar expert so im not willing to put all out for him, i just agree with some things he has done, he saved and continues to add and save many dogs each day, he takes the aggresive dogs due to be pts from shelters and rescues and introduces rtfthem to his pack..he rehabiltates the dogs. surely thats not a bad thing?

Anyway back to op..''Magic Punishment for your dogs''
thanks x
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »