Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I`m a little confused also. Your profile says

: dlrc cavalier

dlrc is meaningless by the way, its not a proper registry at all and absolutely no proof of a pedigree and parental health status for breeding

Your profile also says "Other Breeds owned or previously owned:
Labrador, collie, staff, pit bull, cavalier

Has owned dogs for:
4 to 8 years"

But also says "have owned pets all my life"

Do we assume all the others were taken on by yourself either as oldies or that they passed away very young, to be in the 4 to 8 years owned range ?

What I`m asking basically is do you have any puppy experience other than a Cav puppy [ and hitting a young pup or dog of any age with a rolled up newspaper is not right imo, not the way to treat a dog... :smt018 ].

Was the pup vet checked to see if there was a medical reason behind the growling ?
If the pup was sore, [ whether just from a bump when doing typical puppy activities or something common in the breed like Luxating Patella ], then when held or grabbed that could explain the growling when you tried to move the pup for instance.
Hitting the pup to `teach it not to growl` does not fix the problem whether medical or not, it simply subdues it - that doesn`t mean its `fixed`...

Growling is a vital communication, it means ` I`m not happy right now, I`m scared or angry or frustrated` or many other things. You ignored that, then you tried it again and got growled at again, then you got snapped at.
You need to really listen to a dogs communication.
Stopping a dog from growling especially by force tells the dog it is not allowed to communicate so uses the only other option open - to bite.
I hope the pup gets his growl back and that you *listen* to what pup is trying to convey next time...

If you thought pup was in pain, you should have called the vet for advice, not allowed him to be hit
You may never know if your pup was hurting that day and sadly he may have learned that pain = being hit for expressing it so I hope if he is ever injured or unwell that he does`nt hide it from you, especially if he needs vet treatment quickly.

Being on a fake registry, [ rather than from a proper registry making it easier to consider proven lines ], there could well be temperament issues via the pups parents because there are no breeder ethics involved whatsoever on the made up registry...
It does`nt mean properly registered pups are immune but it does give more chance of tracing accurate hereditary factors.

If you can tell me the names of the parents all the names on the `pedigree` [ by pm if you like ] I found a nifty database to search so might be able to find some ancestry on it for your lad if there are any properly registered dogs in the lines ?

I know I sound like I`m just telling you off all the way through but I really am trying to help, especially on the communication side between you and your pup, and trying to stress the importance of a vet check to rule out any medical cause first and foremost for unusual or aggressive / snappy behaviour.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by hannah92 View Post
tanks for all of that information form everyone my cav is shy but i think that is down to my 3 year old nephew who dragged me cav across the sitting room by his back legs and kicked him in the stomach, my nephew was told of for this 'i made sure of it' i would never let anyone hurt my cav as he is my baby and i absolutely adore him, my nephew has tried it once again and now is not aloud to touch the dog at all, obviously i do let him stroke him but only if he is under supervision! thanks for your help

Why was a three year old child allowed to be unsupervised with a pup [ or dog of any age ]
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 11:27 PM
.....i would never let anyone hurt my cav
Really ?

my 3 year old nephew dragged me cav across the sitting room by his back legs and kicked him in the stomach

It seems to me that he had every reason to growl when being removed from your care if this happens ............Why was this allowed to happen ? Why did you hit a 10 week old pup with a newspaper ?

He's 'Shy' now ? Are you surprised ?

Patch has brought up some very good points, as have other, and I hope you take advice from the knowledgable people on here, for the Pups sake !
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry but this doesn't sound like a genuine post to me.

First of all the the posting style, caps, spelling, punctuation. And then the topic itself, who would come on a forum to say they 'smacked' a dog and it fixed the problem? Someone wishing to get a 'reaction' perhaps?

If however I missed my guess, and you are genuine, please read our posting guidelines and apply them to your future posts - particularly the bit about text/teen talk (we don't allow it on our forums).

Thanks.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'm sorry but this doesn't sound like a genuine post to me.
I have to say, I thought the same !!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I have to agree here, I think we may have a troll on our hands here.....been reading through her other posts, and am becoming more and more suspisious
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Perhaps it's just a young girl (going on her username having '92' in it) wanting to discuss dogs, excited that she's found this website but isn't quite as articulate as some of us on here - particularly the older members.

To be honest, I don't think it's trolling I think it's just that she's new and doesn't really get the posting style
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2007, 10:21 AM
You may be right, but I am not so sure, if I am wrong , I apologize, just seems a lot to have happpend to this pup so far, being kicked by a child, smacked by an adult, being fed cat food, having all relevent health testings (even ones not required for the breed) yet pup is onlt 6 ths old.... she also says she is looking for a male to breed with her in the future!!!!!!

Enough there to get us all worked up, all in a mater of one day!!!

I hope I am wrong .
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Dharkwolf View Post
Actually what is completely unacceptable is not the fact that a 10 week old pup got smacked across the bum - if the mother of the pup had been around to see such unruly behavior he would have probably been nipped, which would have been significantly more painful than that newspaper.
Finally - I am no longer alone in this world! Rejoice!

Good point, but don't go expecting any Christmas cards.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Finally - I am no longer alone in this world! Rejoice!

Good point, but don't go expecting any Christmas cards.
Can I have a christmas card then, As I am of the same opinion as you. If I catch my dogs in the act of doing something they will have a tap. My thinking is the mother would either nip them push them away or give them a whack with a paw. And before anyone says anything no I don,t mean beat I mean tap.
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »