Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The initial snap as described in such situations is a *visual* communication, not intended to connect. .....

You are misunderstanding the snap itself and how dogs use and perceive it within their own language. You seem to only see it as something done to connect and inflict damage.

If you are not understanding that its not what a visual snap communication is about then I am not describing it well enough for which I need to consider how better to explain it
Wysi help me out here !!!!
I think your first sentence explains it very well Patch, as you say it's not meant to cause damage at that stage...

Wys
x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I think your first sentence explains it very well Patch, as you say it's not meant to cause damage at that stage...

Wys
x
Hmmm...an initial snap could quite easily turn into a fight, imo.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Yes, I do agree with the dog being told off. Snapping of any sort is unacceptable, imo. It could result in something far more serious.
Sorry but stopping a dog using a normal canine communication is what will lead to potentially serious problems

Dogs which are not allowed to express discomfort by either giving a grumble or a visual communication [ which is not done to attack but to be a visual indicator to another dog - they do understand the meaning, its their language ! ], are the dogs which often end up delivering a silent attack with no warning from which anyone [ or the other dog...], can react to in time to prevent a fight.

The fact is, I wouldn't lash out to the extent of possibly injuring someone and it's up to us to teach our dogs that snapping at another dog is not acceptable, imo.
But we are not dogs and dogs are not humans.
Dogs can learn to respond to word sounds and signals from us yes, but they also have their own species communications which are as important to them as talking words is to us within our human species.
You are still not understanding that a visual snap is just that, visual, nothing more, and if thats not acceptable to you then its like gagging how a dog can communicate effectively to *prevent* a fight between themselves as visual is their primary mode of communication.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Could you tell me your thoughts on this example, please, Wys:

1 1/2 year old Chocolate Labrador, bought from a reputable breeder at 8 weeks old. Healthwise he's fine.

The problem is, when a dog approaches him, on and off lead, in a wide open space with no other dogs around....On lead, he reacts by lunging, snapping, barking and growling...Off lead he reacts in the same way. No food is near him, or the other dog.
Was he actually vet checked and bloods taken? I am always wary of hypothyroid as labs can get it and it does affect behaviour.

I'd have him and the owner for a chat, discuss everything from puppyhood in depth, also see him on a walk (perhaps using my dog as a "stooge" if the situation was suitable).

You have to appreciate it's nigh on impossible to comment without actually seeing the dog and owner and knowing tne full background

So tell me what the problem was and how you fixed it? :smt001

Wys
x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:24 PM
That isn't the case with every dog, i'm sure.

No definately not. In some cases, unfortunately, dogs have been punished for giving a warning so become stealth attackers instead.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:25 PM
As i've said before, I allow a grumble, but not a snap. A snap, imo, could be far more dangerous than a grumble.

I know we are not canines, and canines are in no way humans, I was replying to a scenario that was directed a me.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Hmmm...an initial snap could quite easily turn into a fight, imo.
If the owners were oblivious of all the preceeding signals, possibly yes. In which case, rollockings to the handlers are due.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Can I just say it's good that this discussion has remained so civil, I think we're all doing pretty well :smt038

Wys
x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Can I just say it's good that this discussion has remained so civil, I think we're all doing pretty well :smt038

Wys
x
I`ll second that, its rather refreshing
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
No definately not. In some cases, unfortunately, dogs have been punished for giving a warning so become stealth attackers instead.
I know of dogs who have been told off beacuse of snapping, and they are not attackers of any sort. However, I do believe that if they weren't told off, they would have a higher tendancy to attack.

Again, your comment is not the case with all dogs.
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »