Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
This is something it took me many years to learn. When I took my one dog to a behaviourist about 12 years ago he explained that if he was growling & I shouted he saw this as support ie I was also telling the other dog off. Its taken a lot of practice to learn a low firm voice or noise, but I get it right most of the time.
If a dog is barking or growling etc, and you shout at them, yes, alot of dogs probably believe that you are joining in with them.

I'm not saying that's the case with every dog, you do get dogs who be quiet after they have been shouted at!

However, I think the best thing to do is use a low, firm voice to tell them off, and also to look them in the eye when this is being done.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
However, I think the best thing to do is use a low, firm voice to tell them off, and also to look them in the eye when this is being done.
How would you deal with a deaf dog, either born deaf or who lost hearing through age :smt077

Still trying to get across that it is just not appropriate to tell off a dog for feeling insecure or flustered enough to need to give a visual communication snap, especially if all other calming signals have been offered by the dog first but has been ignored or missed by the human responsible for that dogs wellbeing
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Still trying to get across that it is just not appropriate to tell off a dog for feeling insecure or flustered enough to need to give a visual communication snap, especially if all other calming signals have been offered by the dog first but has been ignored or missed by the human responsible for that dogs wellbeing
You have your opinions, I have mine, they don't have to be the same. What works for one dog, may not work for another.

My Westie is almost 4 years old, she has never snapped. Neither has my crossbreed. The Collie cross I grew up with, as far as I know, never snapped. I shall ask my grandparents.

Tell me, Patch, has any of your dogs ever snapped or do snap?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 05:45 PM
My Westie is almost 4 years old, she has never snapped. Neither has my crossbreed. The Collie cross I grew up with, as far as I know, never snapped. I shall ask my grandparents.
I dont really think just three issueless dogs out of the whole population is a big enough range to be able to say the the majority of other dogs dont know how to communicate properly with each other

Tell me, Patch, has any of your dogs ever snapped or do snap?
Did you not read what I posted about Gremlin ? [ post 57 ]

I do let my dogs communicate properly. I prefer to pre-empt whenever possible so that they don`t feel the need to give a visual snap, especially my three deaf dogs who could be spooked by a dog running up behind them and diving in for a sniff as they can`t hear an approach. As visual communication is so vital for them I have made it my job to learn to read them well and not to gag them even more than they are by lack of any audible dog to dog communication, and certainly not to punish them if they get spooked

So, any thoughts on how you would deal with a deaf dog for whom the most practised voice / tone will not help one bit ?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I guess your dogs do snap, or have snapped then.

The Collie cross my grandparents had was a rescue dog and was beaten, probably on a daily basis, by his alcoholic owners, it was later found. He was found as a stray, then it was realised later who had dumped him. A couple of years after being with them he was a totally different dog, much more conident and very, very happy. And they were very firm, but understanding, with him. They rescued him when him 5 years before I was born, they thought he was about 2 years old and he lived until 19. All their lives they have had rescue dogs, and each one of them overcame different problems, and went on to lead a happy, healthy life with them. None of them ever snapped and played along happily with their children.

As for judging this by only 3 dogs, obviously there are dogs out there with problems, but they must be taught boundaries, and as you said, it's up to the owners to teach their dogs how to behave in an appropriate manner.

I also attend two different dog clubs, one deals specifically with dogs who have problems.

I've never had to deal with a deaf dog personally, but I would think you can, maybe, teach them hand signal commands. I've read alot about this.

Or a touch on a certain part of their body with your hand that tells them what you require of them. I was speaking to the owner of a deaf Boxer who trained her dog to understand touch commands.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
I guess your dogs do snap, or have snapped then.

The Collie cross my grandparents had was a rescue dog and was beaten, probably on a daily basis, by his alcoholic owners, it was later found. He was found as a stray, then it was realised later who had dumped him. A couple of years after being with them he was a totally different dog, much more conident and very, very happy. And they were very firm, but understanding, with him. They rescued him when him 5 years before I was born, they thought he was about 2 years old and he lived until 19. All their lives they have had rescue dogs, and each one of them overcame different problems, and went on to lead a happy, healthy life with them. None of them ever snapped and played along happily with their children.

As for judging this by only 3 dogs, obviously there are dogs out there with problems, but they must be taught boundaries, and as you said, it's up to the owners to teach their dogs how to behave in an appropriate manner.

I also attend two different dog clubs, one deals specifically with dogs who have problems.

I've never had to deal with a deaf dog personally, but I would think you can, maybe, teach them hand signal commands. I've read alot about this.

Or a touch on a certain part of their body with your hand that tells them what you require of them. I was speaking to the owner of a deaf Boxer who trained her dog to understand touch commands.
Apart from his arthritis. my BC has no problems ( well other than his liver ones, sigh).
He snaps when dogs don't take his initial 'leave me alone please'...
he has never (touch wood as with dogs never say never) snapped at a human, or my son, who used to pull up on him when he was learning to walk.
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14