Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Giant Rabbits?!?

Just seen some of these for sale in PAH . My god they grow huge, and for a whopping £150. They are only babies at mo but are they size of my fully grown Dutch rabbit, and she is BIG! Does anyone own one these or has anyone seen one fully grown?? Some pics would be cool
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Hello doggydina *waves*

Yes a friend of mine keeps giant rabbits, they can grow to upwards of 6 or 7 kg so the weight of a medium sized dog!! I find it really alarming that PAH are selling them because most people just don't have the space to keep them properly (most sane people wouldn't keep a dog in a shed or hutch, so why a rabbit of the same size!) but I suppose at least the price tag will prevent impulse purchases.

They have an awful lot of health problems because they are just not meant to be that big, they often die at 1 or 2 years old of heart failure, an average bunny can live until 8 or 10 or more, but a giant one is old at 4 or 5. They also suffer terribly with joint problems such as arthritis and hip dysplasia because of their weight.

They are cracking personalities though and would probably make great houserabbits (if you can cope with giant sized rabbit poos!)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffybunny View Post
They are cracking personalities though and would probably make great houserabbits (if you can cope with giant sized rabbit poos!)
Lol! There'd be no problem here, Georgie would follow it round devouring all the poo, he loves it, and giant rabbit poo would be a real treat!!!! Mind you, he likes rabbits too, so maybe I won't!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Hello doggydina *waves*

Yes a friend of mine keeps giant rabbits, they can grow to upwards of 6 or 7 kg so the weight of a medium sized dog!! I find it really alarming that PAH are selling them because most people just don't have the space to keep them properly (most sane people wouldn't keep a dog in a shed or hutch, so why a rabbit of the same size!) but I suppose at least the price tag will prevent impulse purchases.

They have an awful lot of health problems because they are just not meant to be that big, they often die at 1 or 2 years old of heart failure, an average bunny can live until 8 or 10 or more, but a giant one is old at 4 or 5. They also suffer terribly with joint problems such as arthritis and hip dysplasia because of their weight.

Hi Fluffybunny ! ! !

I was very surprised to se them in PAH, they had about 7 of them. They did have advice tags giving the size requirements for hutches etc, but knowing PAH that wouldn't be big enough, imo. The price tag is good though, as you say, will prevent impulse buyers. They did also say they would live to 4 or 5 (as if that was a long time for a rabbit ).

Would be great to have one i presume, but i have full house at the mo, and don't think I could cope with the poo's

Very unusla though, got any pics of your friends ones?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Not sure if this guy my Daughter's holding is a 'giant rabit' but he's pretty huge.

Phil

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2007, 05:41 PM
we had a meat rabbit.
he lived untill he was 8 yrs old which is good for his size.
he weight was around 1.5 stone and was the size of a small dog.
we got him from rescue at 8 weeks and was told he was a x between a californian white and a new zealand, sadly we lost him earlier this yr but he was a great lad.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by dinners85 View Post
Not sure if this guy my Daughter's holding is a 'giant rabit' but he's pretty huge.
No offence meant but I think that picture is a fantastic example of why rabbits and children aren't a terribly good mix, the poor thing is probably really uncomfortable and could easily sustain a serious injury from being handled in that way

That one looks like an English rabbit, they are a reasonable size but would look positively dwarfed by a giant breed! Most buns look quite big if stretched out fully, even my tiny nethie who weighs only 900g is over a foot in length if she stretches herself right out!!

Doggydina, I couldn't find a pic of my friend's giant, but there are some fab pictures just here: http://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 02:34 PM
No offence meant but I think that picture is a fantastic example of why rabbits and children aren't a terribly good mix, the poor thing is probably really uncomfortable and could easily sustain a serious injury from being handled in that way

That one looks like an English rabbit, they are a reasonable size but would look positively dwarfed by a giant breed! Most buns look quite big if stretched out fully, even my tiny nethie who weighs only 900g is over a foot in length if she stretches herself right out!!

Doggydina, I couldn't find a pic of my friend's giant, but there are some fab pictures just here: http://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/
Thanks Fluffy, knew you would find some pics

They are amazing, aren't they. Told my boyf about them and he is asking if i'm getting one , he is worse than me for wee furries and is terrible for talking me into these things (thank god he's not in the country at the mo )!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh, and lovely to see rescue already there for them , they do seem like they would be excellant candidates for impulse buying
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah she is also a breeder which I find a bit weird, but hey ho! Funnily enough they do come into rescue from time to time, my friend took one which was living in a 4ft hutch!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >