View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
By the way when I say moments I mean if you blinked you'd miss it lol!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by cclpegs View Post
I really don't intend to. Tbh I dunno why you'd want to do that to your dog! There are nicer ways of being in control and I think I've had a lot of them suggested. If I were a dog and my owner did that I wouldn't trust them. This is not what I want from my relationship with my dog. I want 2 way trust.

You have good instincts, so I'm sure with a bit of work you and your Lab are going to be a great partnership

Dogs do what work: e.g. if every time a dog sits, he gets a lovely treat, then he will sit when asked to.

If you haven't read it, then Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson is a really fabulous book which helped me a lot - I highly recommend it

Do let us know how you and your Lab get on
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I'll probs stick around. It's nice here
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I'll look out for the book too x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by cclpegs View Post
Thanks. Got my clicker and my treats and that's what we did on our walk. Wasn't pleasant like I hope it will be in yrs to come but there were 'momenrs' where I saw him
Walk calmly at my pace. I'll just aim to lengthen those
Ah I'm clicker training Spencer to walk nicely. It's been less than a week and already I've seen excellent results with it. He's still a work in progress but he's gone from constantly pulling to keeping a loose leash about 90% of the time now. He's brilliant on the way home from the fields, the epitome of a well trained dog, but a bit too excited on the way there and needs a bit of reminding that pulling won't get him anywhere.

Spencer has broken 2 of my fingers with his pulling and lunging. He's also put my hubbys back out and dislocated his shoulder. Not to mention the embarrassment of trying to pass someone with their impeccably well behaved dogs while mine is lunging and spinning and barking and lunging and lunging and wrapping the leash around me and did I mention lunging? He's had me in tears several times with his pulling. And just the other day I morphed into a fishwife and screamed at him to "pack it the f**k in!" Not my greatest moment there but I'm only human.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I think the asterisks are a technical term..............
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Hands full! Homer is just like that! He just wants to say 'hi' but people don't like it! I live in a little vIllage with many well behaved dogs. Unfortunately most Of the owners don't seem to understand that he means to say hi! Most are little dogs so guess he could be intimidating to an older person who has only ever had smaller dogs. He's loud lol! There is a woman who owns a beautiful lab and she 'gets it' lol so at least one person won't think im mad! Lol
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I morphed into a fishwife and screamed at him to "pack it the f**k in!" Not my greatest moment there but I'm only human.

Well at least you've retained your deadpan sense of humour - I mentioned the other day that the hardest thing to teach one of my GSDs was not to pull on the lead.

But BOY my experience was nothing like yours! Broken fingers?

Thanks for a last pre-bedtime laugh!
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Not broken any fingers yet but there's plenty of time I guess lol!!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

Well at least you've retained your deadpan sense of humour - I mentioned the other day that the hardest thing to teach one of my GSDs was not to pull on the lead.

But BOY my experience was nothing like yours! Broken fingers?

Thanks for a last pre-bedtime laugh!
You're welcome lol. It's very rare I yell but when I do I become a real fishwife

And yup, he lunged forward on leash one day and broke one of my fingers. A few weeks later he did the same thing and broke another one. I have no idea how since I don't wrap the leash around my hand or anything but they were definitely broken.
Page 6 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »