Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 08:33 PM
If you tell me how to put a pic up
Then I will lol. It's all very confusing. Amazing really that coming on here sort of gave me the 'courage' to just do it and I'd hope it's going to improve the more we do it.
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
[/URL]
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by cclpegs View Post
He is out of control. He pulls, barks, jumps up on surfaces and does what he likes when he likes. I am not deluded. I know this is my error but I need to fix this as he's just not a pleasure anymore. I dread walking him now. I'm
Looking for one to one training but with quotes at about £300 it's just not possible. Any advice would be helpful or trainer recommendations in west midlands area? I would love to take him to a class but I'm just so embarrassed and worried about how he is.
Thanks
The best thing to do is to see the dog behavior professional, but if i would be you i would try one thing: once he performs any unaccepted behavior put him straight down on back and you sit on top, but in the way that it doesn't hurt him, so u feel your body! Place your hands over the throat till and say the words you usually say when he does wrong for example "NO" or "BAD" whatever you use...Do it till he comes down, it might take up to 5-15 seconds no longer.

Be careful once you sit on him, as mentioned make sure you don't hurt him on his chest. The reason why this works, is because it shows you are in control over your dog and you are a boss. Next time he should be scared to perform unexpected behavior, because he will remember what will happen. It might take 5-10 times every time he does something very wrong, like biting you... If it doesn't improve then immediately see the dog trainer.
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:12 PM
He's never bitten me? I really dont like the idea of displaying aggression towards my dog. Maybe I'm
Reading what youve suggested wrong? I don't want him to be 'scared' of me but more 'wants to please me'. Is that wrong??
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Also maybe you misunderstood what my original post was about? He's out of control for sure but he's soft as anything with my two young children and never even knocks them over.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:14 PM
He's never bitten me? I really dont like the idea of displaying aggression towards my dog. Maybe I'm
Reading what youve suggested wrong? I don't want him to be 'scared' of me but more 'wants to please me'. Is that wrong??
Personally I wouldn't use any of the methods Narka has recommended, no need to be so physical. If you look at the Kikopup videos and the pamelamarxsen ones, you'll see what can be achieved with positive training methods, no need to sit on a dog or grab it by the throat
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:15 PM
No it is not wrong! You want to train your dog as a partnership where you communicate and enjoy each other. Training a dog through fear is a terrible idea. Do not listen to this terrible advice. Sit on your dog I've never heard such stupid, dangerous rubbish!
cclpegs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm gonna be honest. If I did that to a dog I'd expect to be bitten!
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Personally I wouldn't use any of the methods Narka has recommended, no need to be so physical. If you look at the Kikopup videos and the pamelamarxsen ones, you'll see what can be achieved with positive training methods, no need to sit on a dog or grab it by the throat
I absolutely agree.

Please don't attempt the 'roll, sit-on and throat hold', it could be a recipe for disaster and is competely unnecessary.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Narka View Post
The best thing to do is to see the dog behavior professional, but if i would be you i would try one thing: once he performs any unaccepted behavior put him straight down on back and you sit on top, but in the way that it doesn't hurt him, so u feel your body! Place your hands over the throat till and say the words you usually say when he does wrong for example "NO" or "BAD" whatever you use...Do it till he comes down, it might take up to 5-15 seconds no longer.

Be careful once you sit on him, as mentioned make sure you don't hurt him on his chest. The reason why this works, is because it shows you are in control over your dog and you are a boss. Next time he should be scared to perform unexpected behavior, because he will remember what will happen. It might take 5-10 times every time he does
something very wrong, like biting you... If it doesn't improve then immediately see the dog trainer.
How to ruin the relationship between a dog and owner and get bitten in one easy lesson!
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »