Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
....Good advice...except the squealing,imo that makes it worse exp after the 'tiny puppy' stage.

Eta...how did a tiny dog manage to bite your lip? What was u doing?
whenever my door isn't well shut, he jumps on my bed in the mornings. It's on those occasions he hurt my lip.
Hope you understand, curious one
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
When I first rehomed Dexter, he mouthed and also bit a lot. He had never been taught by his previous owner not to do it.

I realise not everyone agrees with this method, but the one that worked for us was when he bit, we immediately yelped/squealed VERY loudly and turned our backs - for a minute or more if need be.

It sounds as though you were starting to see an improvement; at that point did you maybe stop being so consistent with the anti bite training...? You all have to do it every single time his teeth touch your skin.

If you don't want to yelp, you can give a firm and loud 'NO!!!' and turn your back. Maybe turn your back OR walk away for LONGER than a minute as it sounds like it is a real problem.
Thanks Tabitha.
It got better, so that once we said 'no bite', he would immediately revert to licking.
But I sort of slacked after a while.

I'll resume it once again, and would be strict about it.
Thanks.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
This pup has been a biter since the OP first posted.
Hi Malka,

Yes, he has, but he got better; although he's now relaunching in a bigger way now, so much that he got on my mom's wrong side when he made her bleed.

PS: What's the meaning of OP (I figure it refers to a dog owner though)
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'd walk out for 10-30 seconds every single time he did it. Squealing with my dog got him even more worked up and made him bite harder.

I'd redirect Rupert onto a toy if he wasn't too frenzied, was nothing to do with teaching him how hard to bite, simply teaching him what was appropriate for him to have in his mouth and what wasn't.
Yes, Sarah. It had the same effect on Max, so I stuck with 'no bite', and he got the message that time.
Thanks.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
If the OP does not wish to yelp or squeal each time the pup bites, then she should say 'no' very firmly and either turn her back or walk away for a minute or more.

And everyone else that lives in the house has to do it also. The key is to be consistent. It's no good only doing it sometimes or most of the time - it has to be done every single time.
I'm sticking this to my brain EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Thanks.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Before I am shot down in flames, please read the OPs statement about how the then six week old puppy started biting:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=148956

Why the hell I apologised to Tupacs I do not know.

The puppy was carried about by a young girl, bit from when he first arrived, and I have to apologis to Tupacs for something I said?

The puppy bites because it has been treated as if he is a doll. He does not know he is a dog.

The puppy will carry on biting because he does not know he is a dog because he is not treated as a dog.

He is treated as a play thing. A toy.
So how do you suggest he be treated, Ms malka?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
JULEZE:

I would urge you not to have your dog around babies or children until he has learned not to bite.

At this point, there is no guarantee that he won't and it would be horrendous if he nipped or bit a baby!

You also risk losing your dog, if that ever happens because I doubt that any parent would fail to make a formal complaint were a child to be hurt by your dog.

You and everyone that comes into contact with your dog need to be using the same method to teach him not to bite - and it must be consistent. Please, for your sake, a child's sake and your dog's sake, do NOT let your dog get close to children until a lot more work has gone into bite inhibition!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by juleze View Post
As a dog I would guess. If you wouldn't/couldn't do it to an 80kg dog or wouldn't find a behaviour acceptable in an 80kg dog then it shouldn't be done to/acceptable in an 8kg dog imo.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Dog is treated like a dolly. Carried about like a dolly. Noe allowed to be a dog.

Dog bites. Owner treats dog like a toy not a dog. Now she takes it to a baby?

Puppy is carried about like a dolly. Puppy bites.

And now she takes puppy to a baby?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by juleze View Post

I suggest you start treating as a dog-I have a toy breed(Cavalier)he is treated the same as my other dogs(Border Collies)I have never carried him nor allowed him to be carried around like a stuffed toy.

You need to go back to the start & retrain him that biting is not acceptable. He cannot bite your lips if he is on the ground can he ?
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »