Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I didn't achieve recall at home and then take my dog to the park and wait until he was in stalking mode...

We have practised recall at home, at other people's homes and gardens, in the tennis court at the park, in the park when it's empty, in the park when there are children and people around.

In other words, we have been practising recall for MONTHS.

The issue is that EVEN though Dexter has a great recall in these situations, IF there are other dogs anywhere in sight, that recall falls apart.

And just to note:

Nobody is suggesting that I 'starve' my dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are simply discussing how I can best use his food as an incentive and motivator to aid in recall.
sorry yes I know I was kinda replying more to the other person, I know from your previous posts you have been working with him lots and you ahve done really will in most situations
but
although you have built up the steps bit by bit other dogs being around is too big a step for him
If you know he isnt going to recal in that situation then dont call him at all, wait until he is not focused on the other dogs, they are really far in the distance and its only one quiet boring dog

as I said I am not talking about the reward bit of it, I said my peice about that on the other thread - I totaly agree with taking his meals along for using as training treats, but I dont think this is an issue that the reward isnt good enough (as you say you have tried even raw meat - good on you for trying) it is more that the distraction is too great for the level he is at - you havent done enough at lower distractions so it is a more automatic response

Thanks

I possibly am expecting too much too soon. To be fair, Dexter has improved massively. He's gone from having literally no recall at all, to now coming to me about 80% of the time IF there are no other dogs around.

I have been able to call him in mid run over to other people also, which is something I could not do until recently.

And yes - I totally appreciate your point about the repetition. I've now stepped up the sheer number of recalls we do at home and while out walking. I've also started doing more recalls when he's distracted by squirrels and birds in the garden. He comes instantly every single time. So I guess we're on the right track hopefully, it will just take longer than I thought
You have done fantastic work with him so far and you should take time to really be proud of that
But yup if he is 80% in the other situations then it is too soon to be asking so much of him
That is simply what I ment by the getting the puppy to sit at the kirb in mid flight in a chase

With some dogs the steps you have to take are smaller than with others - If you keep on with what you are saying above then you will get there with a fab recal
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
sorry yes I know I was kinda replying more to the other person, I know from your previous posts you have been working with him lots and you ahve done really will in most situations
but
although you have built up the steps bit by bit other dogs being around is too big a step for him
If you know he isnt going to recal in that situation then dont call him at all, wait until he is not focused on the other dogs, they are really far in the distance and its only one quiet boring dog

as I said I am not talking about the reward bit of it, I said my peice about that on the other thread - I totaly agree with taking his meals along for using as training treats, but I dont think this is an issue that the reward isnt good enough (as you say you have tried even raw meat - good on you for trying) it is more that the distraction is too great for the level he is at - you havent done enough at lower distractions so it is a more automatic response

You have done fantastic work with him so far and you should take time to really be proud of that
But yup if he is 80% in the other situations then it is too soon to be asking so much of him
That is simply what I ment by the getting the puppy to sit at the kirb in mid flight in a chase

With some dogs the steps you have to take are smaller than with others - If you keep on with what you are saying above then you will get there with a fab recal

Ahh... thank you for such a kind and encouraging post! Really appreciated

I take on board what you are saying, I realise that smaller steps are needed with regard to the presence of other dogs. Looking back to the day described at the top of this thread, it was maybe an unfair test on Dex as the other dogs were fairly nearby and there were several of them. Too much too soon....

Many thanks indeed
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 02:47 PM
How so?

Please clarify, thanks
as one example

Thanks

I've tried that also, walking towards Dex and shrieking/calling his name/dancing around waving treats/etc.

Alas, it makes no difference. He is so fixated on the other dogs, that I could (and have!) be brandishing slivers of raw meat and he just does not care!Thanks for the advice though
To me, that is rewarding the bad behaviour.
POSSIBLY
It would depend on your EXACT timing.

Just something to be aware of, & what you are saying whilst he is fixated.
Have you ever said Good boy whilst hes looking away?
Have you ever touched him whilst hes looking away?
Even just saying his name WHILST hes looking away could be training in the fixation!

Im not saying you HAVE, but i think you "may" have.

Any of this make any sense?

just to add im not trying to be critical or smart, i think youve done a great job so far & the recall just needs a tidy up at the edges!
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12