Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Here I must disagree with you. I have seen injuries which were pretty horrific. Not every dog is high energy - your dog you show is obviously a very active dog and fair play to you both. The dogs I am talking about are Toy/Lap dogs - dogs that dont have either the weight [as in a bigger dog] or high energy to do all that racing about.

I have seen the dew claw nail torn off at its root or torn and hanging off or just torn - not a pretty sight. I have seen the dew claw nail curled right round and digging into the dogs flesh where the nail has not been clipped. OK you could say the owner was negilent to let the nail get that bad but it happens so while I am not totally for removing the dew claws I am not totally against it either as I have seen the damage, pain and discomfort they can cause if left on

One of my own dogs had her dew claws removed when in the nest however whoever did it didnt do a good job on one of the dew claws. The "toe" was not visible but a nail had grown, it was not growing normally, as it grew it was digging into the dogs leg, it was not a nail you could "lift", it was growing straight down, curling under and digging into her leg. Should I have left it and not bothered about it and let her spend her whole life in discomfort? The vet said it would never grow normally and should be removed and that is what happened. I dont feel guilty about that at all as I know if left it would have caused a lifetime of pain and misery and no she isnt a Toy/Lap dog [well she "thinks" she is a lap dog ] she is a Boxer!

Obviiously your dog/s do well with theirs but unfortunately not all do.
Well I've still not seen one, so I don't have that opionion , I only know a few people who have their dogs dew claws removed, the ones that don't have never had a problem, but I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, peole just keep a eye on them, and trim them when neccassary, just like the other nails, and they're fine with them, and personnaly I'd rather just keep a eye on them, keep the nails in shape rather then taking away something that appears naturally on dogs, and helps them in day to day, as what dog doesn't run as fast as it can when it gets the chance, and also I'd say that little dogs need them more as they have more energy then larger dogs most the time, and mine are not overly active either, they are normal for their type, and love to run, but would happily sit at home, or stay near you at a walking pace on the walks.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post

and with her hairless sister

all my sunny pictures are on my phone so i will work out how to get them off the phone and on to the computer.... sorry for the overload but hopefully i gave you an idea, and showed you a happy dog

Is it hairless or shaved?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They shave the faces of Poodles (and feet) at 3 weeks! THAT I think is very wrong!
Really!! I never knew that, is there a reason why? (not an excuse but a reason )
gizooty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Really!! I never knew that, is there a reason why? (not an excuse but a reason )
they shave the face at a young age to get them used to it...
same for grooming ANY ANIMAL.. you should start young to get them used to it.. so a CC will be shaved when in the ring, so you start them young..

well thats what My thought on it is..
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Well I've still not seen one, so I don't have that opionion , I only know a few people who have their dogs dew claws removed, the ones that don't have never had a problem, but I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, peole just keep a eye on them, and trim them when neccassary, just like the other nails, and they're fine with them, and personnaly I'd rather just keep a eye on them, keep the nails in shape rather then taking away something that appears naturally on dogs, and helps them in day to day, as what dog doesn't run as fast as it can when it gets the chance, and also I'd say that little dogs need them more as they have more energy then larger dogs most the time, and mine are not overly active either, they are normal for their type, and love to run, but would happily sit at home, or stay near you at a walking pace on the walks.

I can see your point and to a large extent I agree with you however there are those owners who are no where near as vigilant as you or I and the dogs do suffer. Just because you have not seen evidence of it yourself does not mean it does not happen
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by gizooty View Post
they shave the face at a young age to get them used to it...
same for grooming ANY ANIMAL.. you should start young to get them used to it.. so a CC will be shaved when in the ring, so you start them young..

well thats what My thought on it is..
Young yes, I start hand-stripping and tidying my Borders at about 10wks, but to put clippers on a puppies face at 3 weeks IMO is very wrong. It serves no reason at all apart from looks in this case. A Poodle homed into a pet home wont see a clipper untill its about 6mths, making the 3 wk exercise pointless and stressful for no reason.
gizooty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Young yes, I start hand-stripping and tidying my Borders at about 10wks, but to put clippers on a puppies face at 3 weeks IMO is very wrong. It serves no reason at all apart from looks in this case. A Poodle homed into a pet home wont see a clipper untill its about 6mths, making the 3 wk exercise pointless and stressful for no reason.
i agree.. i was just saying in regards to the CCs, and the reaons... and yes i think 3 weeks Takes the Pee just a bit... i wouldnt Personally start till about 6weeks, and only if i was going to show...
if it was just for pet, then i wouldnt bother till about 10-12 weeks.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by gizooty View Post
i agree.. i was just saying in regards to the CCs, and the reaons... and yes i think 3 weeks Takes the Pee just a bit... i wouldnt Personally start till about 6weeks, and only if i was going to show...
if it was just for pet, then i wouldnt bother till about 10-12 weeks.
Does the picture of the "hairless" puppy look shaved to you?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Clo can I also ask why a five week old pup had already had its face shaven?
wasnt my choice btw i would of waited till she was a bit bigger. but its so she gets used to the noise and the trimmer, rather than leaving it then tryin to do it when its bigger i suppose. shes fine with the clippers now though and never even bothered when she wa s a pup.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Is it hairless or shaved?
yes thats summer and she's currently in the ring. shes a hairless, but does get the strip down her back, which is very very fine hair. thats left alone until a show then it just gets clipped off. doesnt bother her either way i dont think.
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 31 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »